A ? about brakes

rolltide

This isn't really long range, just needing some help. I've noticed that a lot of the fine folks on here have brakes on their rifles. I only have one rifle that has a brake, a Browning Stalker .300 WM with the BOSS. I normally carry the rifle when I'm hunting fields or fairly open areas, but this year I've used it almost exclusively. Several times throughout the season, I've noticed twigs and pieces of leaves inside the ports and barrel where the brake has caught on a limb when I'm going thru the woods.

Here is my question: Since alot of people put tape over their muzzle to keep snow out, would it be a problem to place tape over the ports on the brake? Also, what do you guys do when you're hunting thick areas?

Thanks,

Chris

A figer cot is a little bitty extra thick condom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

They are used by people that shuffel alot of papers and things so they get a little better grip with the tips of their figers.

I use the small ballons that are made for water ballons they fit great over most muzzel diameters , I even put one over the suppressor on my M4 when we train in the rain, they say that water in the can won't hurt but I feel better about it.

Thanks for the replys. I'll go the balloon route for now and see how it works. I just don't want to have another instance of looking down and seeing my brake look like a chia pet. Kinda scared the crap out of me wondering what would happen had I jumped a buck before I noticed the muzzle.

Chris

The items suggested by the others in previous obviously work and work well. Just to add the the discussion though, I have used tape on several occasions with no (known anyway) side effects.

When I am on a horseback hunt where the rifle must be in a scabbard I like to use tape. The other methods mentioned tend to pull off the barrel when pulling the rifle from the scabbard. Scabbards are bad about catching all kinds of sticks, leaves and other assorted "stuff" that all goes to the end. I now bring my own scabbard on any horseback hunt to minimize this and to be sure I have a scabbard my rifle will fit in. I digress from the original question.........

In such cases I use electrical tape. One short piece is stretched tight over the bore, then a tight continuous wrap is applied starting at the bore down past the brake. When it is time to shoot, if time allows I remove the tape. If it does not, I shoot with it on.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.