300 WSM ??? 338 Win Mag??? also what about the 308?

300 WSM & 300 Winchester...
the 300 WSM is technically an 8mm , also
in 200 grain. has a trajectory that is flatter than a .270.

In the latest (January 2005) NRA "American Rifleman", it pointed out that the .300 WSM really is an awesome round, and it even has a higher ballistic coefficient than the .338

Although, it cannout take down a bear as well, it is a highly suitable hunting round.

Rem700PSS

For comp, the 300 WSM in 1-11 twist, Broughton 5C barrel 30 inches long with Harrels comp. Like Bruce Baers laminated stocks, the Master Class or the new Macmillian Edge for 1000 yard looks really good.

Custom actions will save money in the long run and the Stiller Python is best for the money. $1000 for custom RB/DP with trigger guard and tapered scope rings.

I have shot the 300 WSM in comp for 4 yrs. My first barrel lasted 2200 rounds and was still shooting 7-8" groups (10 shots).

Try the 210 JLK or Bergers, 210 primers, Norma brass and either H4350 or a good lot of RL22. I am shooting MRP which is really first run RL22 but no longer sold in US until someone becomes a distributor.

BH

Hello, Bounty Hunter.
I am very impressed.7-8" gruops after 2200 rounds? I would be real pleased to get that. I am hoping to do better this year with my deviation down, and am still looking for my first 10" group.
Hopefully this year.
Where are you at with your best groups?

belt = obsolete

[ QUOTE ]
Headspacing on the shoulder of the case, rather than a belt, promotes better accuracy due to precise bore alignment.

[/ QUOTE ]
RUM page

A shorter action is a stiffer action - I don't think there is any question the WSM's are inherienty more accurate.

Guys, when it is all said and done about 1000-yard target shooting there is two things that hold true. #1 there is no sub. for a large dia. heavy bullet of quality and a high BC. #2 You can shoot the best rifle, loads with the best glass, but condition is everything! Let the wind blow and you will be hummbled!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.