Questions about the 338 Win Mag

Fantastic... I will get a lot of range time when I move. Can't wait!

What exactly is a 338/26?
It's a 26-Nosler necked up to 338. Fairly simple process but you will need to get setup for loading.

It's about .260 shorter than a 338 Edge with a 35° shoulder. .160 shorter than a 338 RUM. Pushes up to 250 pretty well. Heavier than that and the RUM and Edge can push harder.

I've gotta go have some more fun with the 285 BTHP and A-Max but I think they were going at ~2800fps from a 24" barrel which is no slouch by any means.

I agree with a few of the other posts. I have a nice T3 338WM that I hunts bears with, but it's about the last of my rifles I would want to spend a day at the range with. more than a dozen or so rounds and my teeth start to loosen. That's why I have a 284 win, 243 win, 25-06. they can and do all shoot very well so I don't destroy my retinas by over shooting the 338. Its a great and accurate rifle, but for lots of long range, pick a lower recoiling rifle.

I had a 338 win mag, but sold it a few years ago. It was a good 800 yard rifle. I reload so if I remember right the rifle loved 225g Nosler accubonds, retumbo, CCI BR2 primers. Shot a lot of deer with it. 800 yards is along ways, so the 338 win mag can be used to learn long range hunting skills.

Wish I still had mine.

It's a 26-Nosler necked up to 338. Fairly simple process but you will need to get setup for loading.

It's about .260 shorter than a 338 Edge with a 35° shoulder. .160 shorter than a 338 RUM. Pushes up to 250 pretty well. Heavier than that and the RUM and Edge can push harder.

I've gotta go have some more fun with the 285 BTHP and A-Max but I think they were going at ~2800fps from a 24" barrel which is no slouch by any means.
I will have to look into that... Thanks

I agree with a few of the other posts. I have a nice T3 338WM that I hunts bears with, but it's about the last of my rifles I would want to spend a day at the range with. more than a dozen or so rounds and my teeth start to loosen. That's why I have a 284 win, 243 win, 25-06. they can and do all shoot very well so I don't destroy my retinas by over shooting the 338. Its a great and accurate rifle, but for lots of long range, pick a lower recoiling rifle.
I agree, it does have some pop... Hopefully when the time comes, I will chose the right combo.

I had a 338 win mag, but sold it a few years ago. It was a good 800 yard rifle. I reload so if I remember right the rifle loved 225g Nosler accubonds, retumbo, CCI BR2 primers. Shot a lot of deer with it. 800 yards is along ways, so the 338 win mag can be used to learn long range hunting skills.

Wish I still had mine.
I won't get rid of it. It's a great gun to have in my collection. I'm definitely going to start talking to people about beginning my reloading adventure.

The LR game always involves reloading. I cannot imagine anyone progressing off first base with just factory ammo. You will have to start reloading now.
That being said the rig you have is a fine LR rig by any standard. 14X top end power on your scope is fine. My first LR scope had 12X tops. The 338 WM will shoot fine and everyone I know who has one shoots 1 - 1.5 MOA groups with it. You will not be shooting a DCM Match or competing in the State Submachine Gun Championship so your round count will be low. 20rds at a setting is plenty if you take time to cool the barrel between shots and take time to read the wind.
Reloading is your next step. Your rifle/scope is fine.

KB

The LR game always involves reloading. I cannot imagine anyone progressing off first base with just factory ammo. You will have to start reloading now.
That being said the rig you have is a fine LR rig by any standard. 14X top end power on your scope is fine. My first LR scope had 12X tops. The 338 WM will shoot fine and everyone I know who has one shoots 1 - 1.5 MOA groups with it. You will not be shooting a DCM Match or competing in the State Submachine Gun Championship so your round count will be low. 20rds at a setting is plenty if you take time to cool the barrel between shots and take time to read the wind.
Reloading is your next step. Your rifle/scope is fine.

KB
Fantastic! I appreciate the input... I recently came across a Remington 700 BDL 300 RUM. So I will have another option for LR.

I will be moving to WY in under a month and after we get settled in, I will buy my first reload equipment. I will start off with 357 MAG, 45 ACP, 338 WM, 300 RUM...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.