First Post, reloading questions about the 338 Lapua.

Brent-AR-30-338

I have been reading this and other long range forums for a few years now. Decided to go with a 338 Lapua in a AR-30, just picked it up the other day. Also ordered 200 rnds Lapua brass, Forster ultra bench dies, and other reloading tools. It will wear a 4x16x50 Horus vision scope with H2 reticle, that will work with a ballistic program, (exbal probably) on a Palm with a Kestrel and ACI eventually(ran outa $). First comes load development, want to try to utilize the 300smk. Got some H-1000 and Retumbo powder, as these two seem to be the most popular. I want to try a latter test with both and go from there, but I do not yet own a chronograph, and would like to have one before I start the latter test. Oehler 35P would be the best, but it is very expensive. Any other reliable/cheaper suggestions?

There are plenty of post on here about chronograph! You can't buy the Oehler 35P anymore unless you get on Ebay ,and people want let u get a good deal on there, because they just keep bidding up the items. I have the CED Millenium that did not work when I bought it, but they sent me a new one, and it hasn't missed a beat!! Im very happy with it. I would buy the infrared sky screens it's an extra option, but worth it. The whole setup probably cost about the same as the Oehler 35P used to cost when you could still buy them. Mo

I never had much luck with retumbo behind my 300g SMK's, but the H-1000 does me right every time. Don't give up on that rifle if it won't group at first, it has to be shot a little before it groups well. Mine's shooting 1/2 now with very good handloads. good luck!

Meister,
Whats your accuracy load? OAL?
I have heard that they take some shooting before they obtain best accuracy, but thats the fun part.
It seems that H-1000 & RL25 are the two most popular in the Lapua. I wanted to try the Hodgdon Extreme line (temp. insensitive)of powders first. Has anybody had good results with the new US 869 powder? Asked the guy at the store in town if they had it, he just kinda looked at me funny, told him he might soon. It might be worth a try as well.
Can't wait to shoot this thing, its really is a beauty. I know its accurate, I have a pic. of others groups with them with 1/4" moa @ 100. There is even a group on www.riflescopes.com that is .150" @ 100, with a Tasco SS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.
Thanks for the help, Good Shooting.

Primer: 210m federal gold medal match
Case: Lapua .003 neck tension
Powder: H-1000 91.3 G
Bullet: 300g Sierra MK
OAL: 3.612 Thats .002 off for my rifle. I started at 3.610 when it was new.

Every rifle is different, so work you own magic if this doesn't shoot well. It's well within limits, but work up anyways. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.