questions about actions

JackRabbitSquare

I know of a gun shop that has a couple of actions for sale, one is a Mouser Siamese action and the other is a p-14 military action. I was wondering if any of you have any input on these actions and if they were a possible base for a LR rifle, I was thinking 338-378 or maybe larger 408 cheytac???

CAUTION old action are not design for heavy magnum Siamese action is 45/70 pressure level cartridge and made in carbon steel with out alloy adds ans not hard forget this action except for 45/70

P14 can work if made by Winchester or REmington and after Xray inspection BUT :

338/378 request lot of action modification and are not design to built a good long range accurate rifle perhaps better as safari rifles ( A SQUARE ) short range rifles .
338 LM can works better in P14 size with less modifications.

408 CHEYENNE works only in special built action ( real big one near 50 bmj size ).

I think there is no way to find cheap action for big long range caliber , 300 Wea IMP can work on low cost Savage action , enought to shoot far or 300 ULTRA can do the job without big bore fashion.

Good shooting

DAN TEC

I have built a 300Wby on a P14 action and it has worked great. Getting a 300RUM built on another now. Do not recommend a head size bigger then the stand. mag. Some have built very big cases on this action and have worked. I am also a lightly concerned about their strength so keep to the "almost" really big cartridges.

Have the action magnafluxed to look for cracks. Otherwise they are every bit as strong as standard commerical actions and will chamber a mag size case without any mods to the bolt face. I only single feed, mag length is too short for big cases and not willing to put in the time and hassle.

Large ring mausers/P17 are also very good for conversion but again I would limit to the RUM as the biggest case. Extractor work needs to be done to single feed. Get a good gunsmith.

If looking to use a 370Wby type case, go find a used Weatherby, Sako, or custom action. It is a whole bunch safer.

Good luck...

Jerry

P14 can work but

P14 take of how much $85/100
X ray or magnaflux $30
ground the bridge drill and tap $75
square receiver face $35
bead blast reblue or phosphate $35

total $260 without a good trigger ( timney for $60 and 15 more for a new firing spring .

grand total $335

for less than $250 you get a near new SAVAGE action on a udes rifle just need a set of base and a strong recoil lug at $30 from Holland and you have a ready to use action in mag bolt face ( 300 WEAor 300 ULTRA ) with a round receiver easy to bed .

so only for a personal spare time project without count our manpower , built on P14 action is just a loose of money .

NOTE : big caliber as 585 NIATI are very low pressure cartridge not as 378 WEA base wilcat or 408 Cheyenne .

Good shooting

DAN TEC

*sigh*

I kinda figured it would be something like that. I have a 338UM already and i was looking to make a ultra long range rifle. I guess i should just save my pennies for a good custom actoin.
frown.gif

What you are looking for is a sporterized P14 action. Alot of these are kicking around either produced by BSA, or through someone like Century Arms.

The actions I use already have all the cosmetic work done including drilling and tapping. The trigger can be easily worked to about 2 1/2lbs and is very crisp and single stage. Of course, an aftermarket trigger makes this easier.

The actions/rifles were around $50 complete. I just threw away the barrel and stock. Visit a gun show or two. I am sure you will find something to your liking.

The total investment for my 300Wby was under $500 Cdn which included the action, barrel, install, and muzzle brake. My 300Rum now in the works will cost about the same and will have a 36" barrel.

Another good source for actions are gunsmiths. I got mine from a gunsmith who had a few of these "junk" actions with no homes.

Unless you are handy will a grinder or have a milling maching and drill press, I would stay away from a full military action. The sporterized ones are plentiful.

Good luck...

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts