Questions about my first custom rifle

OKbow87

Hey guys, first of my name is colin and i live in oklahoma. I have been lurking around here reading for a little while and have decided to join now. I have decided that i am going to get myself a custom rifle chambered in 7mm RUM. This is where my questions start.

I am wanting to spend less than 2,000 and if possible as little as possible because i am a full time college student, but i also work full time so this allows me a little extra income. If you guys know of any custom gun makers that will chamber in the 7RUM with atleast a sub moa garantee if not 1/2 that will still be under 2 grand i would like to know so i can take a look at them. I am looking for something with a medium to heavy sporter style barrel in a kevlar or synthetic stock. I also prefer remington actions if possible. The other route i can take is getting an action, barrel, and stock, and having it put together by a gunsmith here in oklahoma. If i were to go this route, what would be the easiest way to get ahold of a good stainless action chamered in 7RUM with or without the barrel, and what is a good barrel company that i can expect to spend around 300 or less for a good stainless barrel. I am kinda already set on a HS or McMillan stock if i go this route but i am open to suggestions. I was thinking a good way to get an action would be to get a remington sps stainless in 300 ultra and just toss the barrel and stock. I am not 100% possitive but i believe this would work, but would rather just get an action for cheaper if possible. Thank you ahead of time for your guys' help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Does your $2K limit include the scope or just the rifle. For just the rifle, the job is pretty easy.

With patience you can "find" an action or just buy a new action or buy a gun and sell the barrel and stock.

My feeling would be to concentrate the money on trueing up the action and getting a good barrel on it, a good trigger, and then a good scope, good dies and brass and last the stock. You can upgrade the stock later when you have more money. Also the stock work is easier for most of us to do ourselves.

As long as you don't attend the university just south of OKC I'd love to help you out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!! I would seriously give the Savages a good look. We've got several of the 116FSS 300 RUMs in stock that I could sell you for $405. This would have the ultramag boltface so you could sell the bbl for about $50-$75 and the plastic stock for $20-$35. I also think the accutrigger would be good enough, so you wouldn't have to buy an aftermarket trigger. Another thing to think about is I have a Sako 75 SS Syn 7 RUM setting right in front of me. The guy who had it only shot it 2 or 3 times. He wants $1000 for it. Give me a call @ work 800-522-3314.

Thanks,
B.J.

Buffalo - the 2k limit is just for the rifle, i can get some really good deals on scopes. I think i am gonna try the Burris XTR on this project.

Bill - No i dont attend that university, i go to osu-okc and im a municipal fire safety major, working towards being a firefighter. I appreciate the offers but i would really like to stay in a remington action or custom mauser.

Colin
You said you wanted a custom rifle I don't know if you've looked at this option. Buy a factory rifle, accurize it (they will guarantee it with factory ammo), send a different stock with it to be bedded and maybe have a break installed.

And for roughly $1500 you have a shooter.
Here are some Links

Hill Country Rifle
Shooters Oasis

I would contact the guys in the SW Missouri 1k BR club just north of you. Bet you will find a couple highly recommended local smiths that might be very reasonabl. Go to BR central and click on the link for that club.

New barrel company just came out with cut rifled barrel for $250 in SS and shipping is around two weeks right now, called Brux. think link is on 6mmbr.com site for them. Initial reports seem to be very favorable and fast shipping.

Any magnum bolt face will work for what you want also. Think the PSS even comes in the RUM if I remember.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.