First Custom Rifle

downsouth

There are many knowledgeable sources on here, so I'd like to get some recommendations from you guys if that's alright. I'm looking at getting my first custom rifle built. My big hang-up right now is whether or not I should go with a blueprinted Model 700 action or go for it and get a custom action for the rifle. This rifle will be mainly a hunting rifle. I just want something that is reliable and can reach out there when it has to. Do you think I'm better off just going the cheaper route with the blueprinted Model 700, or should I spend a little more and get it built on a custom action? I might screw around at greater distances, but I imagine most of my shooting should be within 800 yards. Money is not really an issue, but I hate to spend the extra if it's not needed. Thanks.

do you have a Rem 700 already that you can build on?
If not you'll save money going with a custom from Phoenix Machine and you can get several custom options for free.

Sell the Rem 700 and get a new custom. It will cost a little more but when you look at it or just think about it, the extra funds you spent will not be important.

I'm building my next 308 on a Phoenix reciever with a PT&G bolt , this setup will have the same or better clearance than a Rem 700 thats had the bolt sleeved. Here is what I'm getting and what the total was

Reciever , with heavier tang and target port (added strength with both)
.702" bolt race ways , EDM cut (very smooth and close tolerance)
side bolt stop (Like Nesika's)
double pinned .312" thick recoil lug
extened thread tennon to 1.403"
total with shipping = $437.50
PT&G bolt , .700" diameter , M-16 extractor , threaded bolt handel to be TIG welded on , total with shipping = $153
Total action cost = $590.50

Rem 700 , true action and ream bolt race way , $200
true bolt and sleeve to fit action , $150
install sako or M-16 extractor , $150 including extractor
side bolt release $125
bolt handle fitted with Badger bolt knob , $80
Total cost = $705 and thats IF you have the action already and your gonna loose your *** if you ever have to sell it.

Sell your action , should get $325 pretty easy for complete action and trigger then your well on your way to the custom that will be better built and hold it value WAY better than a factory action.
Granted you don't have to get all the extra stuff on the rem 700 you could just have it blueprinted and that'll run about $200 then another $150-$200 for the barrel install.

You don't say what your hunting out to 800yds that would help determine what caliber would better suit your needs.

Bowmen,
You could just bluepring your 700 and put the same PTG bolt in it.
With the Sako extractor and whatever boltface you want.
You are already half way there, you have the rifle.
Thats a good place to start for your first custom rifle.
With something you have
Oppenheimer

Thanks James, Looks like some great actions. I hear George Gardner is using this action to replace his action..

Downsouth
You are still not looking at that much differance overall.
Since you already have a 700, the blueprinting will run $200-250
PTG sell the bolts milled for Sako Extractors with the bolt handles installed
for $150 + the extractor $20 thats in any diameter to fit your Blueprinted action.
Depending on who does the blueprinting work you can have a action just as capable as the custom, without a dought.
Send me an E amil and I can give you more info if you are interested.
Oppenheimer

GAP was using Lawton actions on their "Templar" rifles , their was some troubles with orders getting filled to meet the GAP demand due to Barney being sick so they have since changed to Phoenix Machine , I got my reciever today and my PTG bolt yesterday , I went with a .700" bolt to fit thephoenix .702 reciever bolt raceway. I have to say that other than a Bat its the "slickest" action I've seen and worked , very very smooth and tight

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.