First Rifle

Janno05

Greetings from Kansas. I have been lurking for quite a while on this board soaking up the wealth of information here, and finally purchased my first centerfire hunting rifle: A Tikka T3 lite stainless in .243 win. The plan is eventually to go to .260 rem, but I can use this as a platform to build off of and decide what I really want in a custom built. I do not reload yet, so what would be a good starting point for factory ammo? I also need to get some glass on it, I am leaning towards Leupold Mk4 3.5-10 or a Nighforce 3.5-15. Again, thank you all for sharing your wisdom on this board.

Either choice is good. I have mostly Leupold but know NF is a very good scope but usually cost more. Buy the best scope you can afford and it can go with your upgrade and you won't have to buy another scope for long distance.

Last edited:
Agreed. Definitely buy once / cry once on the glass. Get a good LR capable scope now so you can use it on your custom build later. If you can swing a NF, get a NF.

You've got a nice rifle and your choices on optics are great. Leupold or NF....arguments could be made either way. Regardless, you win either way you go.

My suggestion would be magnification range. For long range work, you will want more than than 10x or 15x. In the Leupold MK4, consider the 6.5-20 or 8.5-25. In the NF look at 5.5-22

My rifles wear Leupold MK4s

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/#post494570

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

You might wish to consider the 3.5x21-50 Bushnel HDMR with Gap G2 Reticle. This optic is NOT your average cheapie Bushnel! It really is a different, and real nice, optic! It should be hitting the market place around October.

Have a good one,
Gary

Nice rifle and great thought on glass. If you can afford a nightforce then im pretty sure it wins! if money isn't the issue please do your self a favor and get the best scope money can buy for a later on custom rifle.

If money is an issue then the Mark 4 is a great scope and i think you should take a look at the 6-24x5mm vortex viper PST. Very reliable, very dependable, and glass is by far equal if not better! just my opinion

Thank you all for the information. Would 5x on the lowest setting be too high for sub 100 yard shots? The rifle will mostly be a coyote and deer rifle, with a maximum range of 500-600 yards for the time being. I figure if I get that hooked on long range and build a rifle for the 1000+ yard shots I will just get another scope. Now do I build on the Tikka action, or go for a full custom build next? This is going to get expensive...

Thank you all for the information. Would 5x on the lowest setting be too high for sub 100 yard shots?

5x will be fine on shots inside 100

The rifle will mostly be a coyote and deer rifle, with a maximum range of 500-600 yards for the time being. I figure if I get that hooked on long range and build a rifle for the 1000+ yard shots I will just get another scope.

There is no doubt you will get hooked on long range hunting. Even at 500-600 yards, 22x is very nice. I have a 4.5-14x40 on http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/ (it's my 'carry' rifle). From time to time, I've taken some long shots on targets with it. 14x is nice, but every time I wish I had more magnification.

Get the NF 5.5-22x50 (NPR1 reticle). This way you will be covered from near to faaaaarrrr. Then on the very remote chance you're not hooked, NF scopes hold their value well and you can sell it for nearly what you paid for it.

Now do I build on the Tikka action, or go for a full custom build next?

Cross that bridge when you get to it. You can use the Tikka action or you can buy a custom action or get another action (like a remington) and use it for your next build. If it were me, I would probably get another action (custom or otherwise) and build the next rifle on it. That way, you're never without a rifle. You can build the custom or semi-custom, then when you get it, you can start rebuilding the Tikka.

This is going to get expensive...

Duuuuhhh! If you check your wallet right now, you will see there is a massive hole in it and the money will just start pouring out. Top notch gear is worth it though.

cheapest way to an accurate rifle is a rem 700 sendero or a rem 700/krieger barrel. having killed over 250 coyotes most of those with a 243 with a vx-3 3.5-10. i like a little more magnification now. vx-3 4-14 or a 6.5-20 . MK 4 is not needed.

I would look at the vx III 4.5X14 LR or the 6X20 LR either in the 40 or 50 mm bell either will work ,I prefer the 6X20X40 LR for all my deer rifles I like the 4.5X14X40 for my coyote gun and it works great as well out to 1200 yrds

Action wise, I have flipped and flopped this myself for a good while now. I have pretty much decided to buy a Defiance Machine action and build from there. I have turned this over and over in my head till i am about to go insane, fact is if i go custom it will not cost me more for what I *REALLY* desire. It may even end up costing a little less.

Scope wise, I have an IOR 3-18x42 "Flea" scope. $1200, and rice and beans and ramen for a year! I gage my scope "desires" by worst case shots I will take. The latest shot I will take is near dusk, and at that time of day 14x on my 42mm Objective is as far as it goes at 1k yards on a lipton iced tea jug filled with Red Dye Water. I guess what I am saying is, a GOOD 4-14 power scope should be more than plenty for any hunting rig. If i can clearly see ( at dusk ) a 1 gallon jug and engage, then a whole deer, or elk, or antelope ect, should be VERY easy indeed. People who *ALWAYS* desire more mag are usually the ones who don't shoot enough. It is a common desire to *Want* to see the wings of a fly at a million yards before you *YANK THE ***** outta tha' trigger, while closing your eyes and praying for a hit gun) obviously I am kidding with that last statement...but there is a certain degree of truth to it. Too much is just that...

Good Hunting,
Gary

Action wise, I have flipped and flopped this myself for a good while now. I have pretty much decided to buy a Defiance Machine action and build from there. I have turned this over and over in my head till i am about to go insane, fact is if i go custom it will not cost me more for what I *REALLY* desire. It may even end up costing a little less.

Scope wise, I have an IOR 3-18x42 "Flea" scope. $1200, and rice and beans and ramen for a year! I gage my scope "desires" by worst case shots I will take. The latest shot I will take is near dusk, and at that time of day 14x on my 42mm Objective is as far as it goes at 1k yards on a lipton iced tea jug filled with Red Dye Water. I guess what I am saying is, a GOOD 4-14 power scope should be more than plenty for any hunting rig. If i can clearly see ( at dusk ) a 1 gallon jug and engage, then a whole deer, or elk, or antelope ect, should be VERY easy indeed. People who *ALWAYS* desire more mag are usually the ones who don't shoot enough. It is a common desire to *Want* to see the wings of a fly at a million yards before you *YANK THE ***** outta tha' trigger, while closing your eyes and praying for a hit gun) obviously I am kidding with that last statement...but there is a certain degree of truth to it. Too much is just that...

Good Hunting,
Gary

If you're interested in an IOR scope, would a 2-12x do? A buddy of mine has one for sale and it includes rings and Butler Creek covers. It's a great scope....

WTS : IOR 2-12x32 35mm SFP Tactical Scope - Maryland Shooters

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.