What about .270 Winchester?

I Know I replied to this thread many weeks /months ago, but I cant help saying that the 270 Win is an excellent deer/medium game cartridge, as designed and developed nearly 90 years ago. It is without question my favorite deer cartridge , especially in an accurate, light Bolt Action Rifle!!! I can also suggest that used as the Bench Mark model, it allowed for the design and development of other cartridges, that then became known for their excellent ability to take deer, ect.. A simple example would be that if there were no .270 Win developed about 1925, there would have been no 270 Weatherby Mag, developed by Roy about 1945. It was clear that Mr. Weatherby saw the value of this new ( at that time ) round and its ability to take deer sized game , so he set out to try to IMPROVE upon it, by making a .270 bullet go a bit faster, and taking game at an even greater range. Many other cartridges have been born since the 270 Win came to market. Many of the are also excellent ,and their owners are very pleased to own and shoot them, and hunt with them. That s really fine. However, In my mind there remains one Original American Deer Cartridge, that taught a generation of shooters that a small bullet going fast, kills deer very well, the 270 Win. Improvements are inevitable, and welcome, but the original still clearly does what it was designed to do. I am happy to own a few and will continue to hunt deer, with a 270 Win. Happy Shooting everyone.!

puke throw up GIF
I just use the gif option. Many on this forum know I'm not a fan of the 6.5 CM marketing. Good cartridge with good ballistics. If the 270 Win came from the factory with a fast twist there wouldn't even be a comparison.
HaHaHa! Best one yet!!

Calvin, your comment, "If I ever do own a 7mm my top picks are the 280 rem and the 7mm Weatherby - full psi SAAMI limit and freebore that lets it shine - same capacity as yhe 7 rem mag and consistently 200-300 fps faster in load data and factory ammo."

If you can find a reamer or have one ground to match necked down Lapua 30/06 brass, you are in a different league, hard to kill that brass. You will overpressure a load, lose accuracy, primer pockets will be fine. Lapua brass in the 280 and AI take things to a whole new level, but web dimensions are different, the length of the neck, and loaded neck dia will be different than Winchester brass. The Lapua project on these cases is one well worth the effort.

The 7mm Mashburn Super is what the 7 rem mag should have been, one heck of a cartridge and design.

Calvin, your comment, "If I ever do own a 7mm my top picks are the 280 rem and the 7mm Weatherby - full psi SAAMI limit and freebore that lets it shine - same capacity as yhe 7 rem mag and consistently 200-300 fps faster in load data and factory ammo."

If you can find a reamer or have one ground to match necked down Lapua 30/06 brass, you are in a different league, hard to kill that brass. You will overpressure a load, lose accuracy, primer pockets will be fine. Lapua brass in the 280 and AI take things to a whole new level, but web dimensions are different, the length of the neck, and loaded neck dia will be different than Winchester brass. The Lapua project on these cases is one well worth the effort.

The 7mm Mashburn Super is what the 7 rem mag should have been, one heck of a cartridge and design.
That sounds like a lot of fun for a project, but didn't everyone's favorite company to hate just mass release a 7mm that pretty much does what you're describing? A faster 7mag?

Impact velocity = dramatic terminal results, throw in the amazing accuracy. The 100g Nosler ballistic tips at 3850 is flatter shooting than a 220 Swift. A 25 PRC would be = to the 257 Weatherby with short freebore that I have described, and a 25/06 AI is a great alternative. I do not know of any others. A 25/7 Rem mag would be doable, but coming up with dies is a difficult proposition.

7mm PRC has an almost identical case capacity of the 7 Rem Mag, just a more modern case design. The 28 Nosler is a different can of worms = to the 7 STW

A friend used my reamer on a 30" Hart, 12 twist with the intended purpose of shooting rock chucks. His load shot tiny bug hole groups with the 100g at 4000 fps. 80g Barnes would barely stabilize in this rig at 3850, so 4000 would be dooable.

Last edited:
The trusty old 270 is something you can't go wrong with unless you buy a cheap model
I had bought a Rem 788 in .308 and thought I had shot the barrel out. It was plenty accurate and cost me $109.00 new at a Two Guys store around 1968. I had a gunsmith rebarrel it for .270win and have never looked back. What a shooter that rifle is.

I had bought a Rem 788 in .308 and thought I had shot the barrel out. It was plenty accurate and cost me $109.00 new at a Two Guys store around 1968. I had a gunsmith rebarrel it for .270win and have never looked back. What a shooter that rifle is.
I have looked for a long time for another 788, I have one in 243 and it is a tack driver

The 270 Win is maligned because of it's history and the history of firearms development.

It was developed when the sure thing was 30-06. To stray too far was to invite ridicule and not using a standard bolt face made it harder to adopt, especially to the 1917 and Mauser based bolt guns of the day. So that pretty much defined the case, rifle and powder.

They likely made that shoulder as sharp as they could form it back in the day! 35 deg….which is still pretty sharp 100 years later!

Bullets were defined by the days technology which made 130gr - 140gr ideal. This also made 10 twist and the oal work out.

If we could make a 270Win#2, it would likely have a 35 deg shoulder still, a bit more head height(+0.15") for longer 130-140gr mono's as well as an 8.5 twist 4 groove barrel.

This would give us the modern 270 Win launching a 135gr mono at 3050fps at 65000psi…..temp stable and be an elk slayer to 600+ yards.

The reason this doesn't exist?? SAMMI has no way to increment design level and consumers have no way to not put a long round in a 1920's rifle with a long throat. If this is all safe, 270Win owners would fill your reviews with this round sucks from grampas deer rifle. Over pressure and groups like crap!

When your 270 barrels are shot out, you have some really great options today:

6.5/06 proved to be idiot proof to tune very small groups with and .610-.647 BC Does not hurt your feelings
280 rem-neck up your 270 brass after annealing, 160-162g at 2930 fps on a 24" barrel is real world with IMR 7828 with fed 210's
280 AI-160s at 3000-3020 is easy, and I use 30/06 brass.

270 Winchester High BC bullets are coming available, not many options YET