What’s your favorite caliber for deer?

I used the Nosler 100gr ballistic tip in my .257 Wby Mag's, it was the bullet I started with, nowadays others might use something much newer, but... the Nosler 100gr BT just seemed to work for me in all the .257 Wby Mag rifles I owned over the years. In a well-balanced rifle for a younger hunter, sure the 7mm-08 Rem would be a fine cartridge for Elk, if she could handle that why not the .308 Win? Good luck... cheers

1. What bullet weights and designs are you all using for .257 Wby for mule deer?
2. My granddaughter drew for cow elk this year. I can lend her a rifle in any number of cartridges including 6.5CM, 7mm-08, .257 Wby or .308. She will need to pick a cartridge and practice. Any comments as to which cartridge might be a good choice? I'm leaning towards 7mm-08. She is 14 and can shoot pretty well.
I used the Nosler 100gr ballistic tip in my .257 Wby Mag's, it was the bullet I started with, nowadays others might use something much newer, but... the Nosler 100gr BT just seemed to work for me in all the .257 Wby Mag rifles I owned over the years. In a well-balanced rifle for a younger hunter, sure the 7mm-08 Rem would be a fine cartridge for Elk, if she could handle that why not the .308 Win? Good luck... cheers

1. What bullet weights and designs are you all using for .257 Wby for mule deer?
2. My granddaughter drew for cow elk this year. I can lend her a rifle in any number of cartridges including 6.5CM, 7mm-08, .257 Wby or .308. She will need to pick a cartridge and practice. Any comments as to which cartridge might be a good choice? I'm leaning towards 7mm-08. She is 14 and can shoot pretty well.
At moderate ranges which a 14 yo should be limited to I think any that you mentioned would work with a good bullet. I would lean towards either the 7-08 or the 308 but go with whatever she shoot's best.

My brother loaded the 117gr Sierra Game King for his 257 Wby since it's what I was loading for my 25-06 several years ago. He has taken a pretty nice Bull Elk with it and a few Mule Deer. Speer does a 120gr that you might consider as well. The Speer has a slightly better BC than the 115gr Berger if that is something you're interested in. 4.80 vs 4.66. The Speer are also about half the price of the Berger as well.
I see Midway has a sale on overrun 120gr Nosler Partitions.

Out of the 3 cartridges you listed for your granddaughter you can't go wrong. I'm more partial to the heavier bullets in the 308 for Elk than the Creed but truth be told the Creed will kill Elk within the same distances of the 308 or the 7mm-08 for that matter.
I would suggest whichever caliber she is the most comfortable with and shoots the best. That would be the most important factor. Don't want her developing a flinch and bad shooting habits if she finds one caliber to much for her.

>I would suggest whichever caliber she is the most comfortable with and shoots the best. That would be the most important factor. Don't want her developing a flinch and bad shooting habits if she finds one caliber to much for her.<. Good advice. I have a Proof Research Elevation in .308. That's a light rifle and it recoils a bit too much for her. She shoots a 7mm-08 pretty well though -- hitting a 300 yard steel target every time from a seated position with shooting sticks (the target is admittedly torso sized but still, she hits it). I think we'll stick with the 7mm-08 and 140 grain bullets for her.

I think you're on the right track! 257 Wby will work, but shot placement is critical. 7mm-08 with 140-150 gr sturdy bullets, or 308 with 150-168gr would be even better. Just my thoughts. Best of luck on the hunt.