What’s your favorite caliber for deer?

Over the past 62 years of big game hunting, I've killed deer with either a 30-30; .308; 30-06; .270; .264 Win Mag; 25-06; 8 mm; .300 Win Mag; 7 mm Mag; 12 gauge slug; .54 cal muzzle loader and an arrow. Well, I did get one with the truck one time but I don't call that very sporting. Some of the .30 calibers were also used on Elk, Moose, Bear, Antelope and Caribou. That said, my favorite all time gun was the old Winchester model 70 in .264 Win Mag which sported an old Belvar Eight scope. Used it primarily in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado for hooved animals. Had an unbroken string of one shot kills for years until I foolishly sold it to buddy who still makes it proud. Yup, .264 Win Mag my favorite.

Over the past 62 years of big game hunting, I've killed deer with either a 30-30; .308; 30-06; .270; .264 Win Mag; 25-06; 8 mm; .300 Win Mag; 7 mm Mag; 12 gauge slug; .54 cal muzzle loader and an arrow. Well, I did get one with the truck one time but I don't call that very sporting. Some of the .30 calibers were also used on Elk, Moose, Bear, Antelope and Caribou. That said, my favorite all time gun was the old Winchester model 70 in .264 Win Mag which sported an old Belvar Eight scope. Used it primarily in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado for hooved animals. Had an unbroken string of one shot kills for years until I foolishly sold it to buddy who still makes it proud. Yup, .264 Win Mag my favorite.
6.5 cal anything 6.5x55 6.5-284 6.5prc etc . Then the 257 Roberts 25-284 2506 etc.for larger game than deer 300 wby 300 win 300 wsm. Versatility gentlemen .You can even throw the good old 270 win in there.

for me, since about any basic center fire caliber will; kill a deer, it mostly comes down to what Gun(or weapon) I like best for the conditions or season's I will be hunting in
like the old saying using the right tool for the job, only for me its also about having the tool that fits me best and I like the most for the job!
so, pending where I am hunting,( will shots be close, or FAR, , hick cover or open country, will they be smaller southern deer or larger bodied Northern deer!) all that tends to make me decided what caliber/rifle I will use over just picking"X" caliber!
deer are not magical critters that any special bullet or caliber is needed
hit there vitals and it will kill them,
I know a ton of farmers that have killed a few thousand over the decades with a simple .22 rim fire, they used for crop damage!
and mostly ALL dropped where they stood!

what ever center-fire rifle you like and shoot best and KNOW Its limits, and is legal to use, gets my vote

It's a mixed bag for me depending on the local regulations, but I love the 260 Remington, as well as the 6.5 PRC, in areas where permitted. In other situations, I usually rely on the 45-caliber smokeless muzzleloader.

Ballistician's Phenomenal explanation for bullets & terminal ballistics that may apply to all of our favorites. Many of us stand to gain knowledge here so lets offer a link below.

If I MUST use a slug gun and shots are under 150 yards the now discontinued 12ga 3" Lightfield Commander IDS slug
Fires a 73 caliber 600 grain slug at 1700 FPS/MV with 3850 F/LBs at the muzzle.
Shot truck loads of deer with that slug not ONE went past 40 yards.
If my shots will be from 50-250 and using a Shotgun 12ga 3" Federal Barnes tipped expanders. Also never had a deer go past 45-50 yards with them, 90% DRT.
If I can use any rifle I own my Tikka T3 Lite in 300wsm. I hunt VERY small farms and let me say its always best if a deer dies on my side of the fence.