What’s your favorite caliber for deer?

My first 15 years, was 300WBY for everything. The next 15 years, was 30.06 (150 grn for deer, 180 for elk). No, 270 unless I have a reason to go up.

Last edited:
Surprisingly, recoil isn't that bad with the center grip stock. It has a 16" bull barrel and laminate wood stock and likely weighs more than your Model 7 did. I expected it to be ferocious. But it just isn't that bad. Not the hardest kicking pistol I've shot.
My XP-100 is a 221 Fireball with a 10.5" barrel. It's not very heavy so I was thinking that shooting a 350 Rem Mag out of one like mine would be more fun that I wanted to sign up for.

My XP-100 is a 221 Fireball with a 10.5" barrel. It's not very heavy so I was thinking that shooting a 350 Rem Mag out of one like mine would be more fun that I wanted to sign up for.
My first XP-100 was a 7BR with a 14" barrel and the Zytel stock. Recoil on this is a little more than that. But not a whole lot more. I wouldn't want to use a standard eye relief scope on it, but it's fine with a pistol scope setup. I will be sending it to Holland for a brake after this deer season because I'm intrigued by the possibility of reducing recoil to the point that I could use a standard eye relief scope.

.256"/6.5mm
Shot my first Red & Roe with 6.5x54 Mannlicher back in the mid '70s.
Tried .243/25-06/.308 and all have their strengths. But I now shoot 6.5 Creedmoor and I won't be changing.
From Boar at 20 yards to Maral (Asian Elk) at 590 yards, it hasn't let me down.

Cartridge development hasn't really changed much in the almost 100 years since the 270 Win came on the scene, a 130 grain bullet at 3050 kills as well today as it did back then. Think of how the world has changed in last 100 years from cars to planes to technology but cartridges have changed very little. Not necessarily a bad thing, they just got it right the first time. I like a 308 cal in 308 win but I'd have to choose the 270 W for overall deer.