What’s your favorite caliber for deer?

I live in California and have shot Barnes before and waned to try a new bullet. I like the way the Hammers shoot. I'm just curious on the bullet weight I choose for my caliber. I have a 1-8.5 twist for the 155 and most guys are shooting the 143 or smaller weight bullets. I believe there is enough proof that they will work, but reloading and making your own ammunition it's the last piece of the puzzle when you harvest your animal and check out the evidence.
Jason
Run the 124 HH with H4350 and don't look back< Give me a holler and I'll save you some time and troubles 812-264-6183

I love most calibers. But lately I've been running a 7SAUM with 168 Berger's. But a 6.5x284 with the 140 Berger is a good deer pill too. All my hunting is western with lots of extended shots.

In states that don't have wacko cartridge restrictions coughIOWAcoughcough if I had to choose it would be either of my .260 Remingtons. One is a River M77 MkII in a Boyd's laminate thumb hole stock. The other is an 18" MGM barrel for my TC Encore. Interestingly, both guns prefer the exact same load. 44 gr of IMR4350 behind a Hornady 129 gr Interlock with Rem 9 1/2 primers in Lapua brass.
In Iowa, where I currently reside, my favorite has been a .357 Maximum for the last 8 years. This year I expect that to change to the .350 Rem Mag that I'll be using in a center grip XP-100 with a 16" bull barrel.

Favorite right now- .50 caliber TC Hawken ,22" Green Mt barrel, 420 no Excuses bullets. Peep sight. Too much fun!

For the far shooting times, 300 PRC ,215 berger is good, TBAC Dominus suppressor makes it polite.

Most done in with the old Browning 270 tho. 130 fusions, 140 partitions,130 tsx,ttsx all close range.

In states that don't have wacko cartridge restrictions coughIOWAcoughcough if I had to choose it would be either of my .260 Remingtons. One is a River M77 MkII in a Boyd's laminate thumb hole stock. The other is an 18" MGM barrel for my TC Encore. Interestingly, both guns prefer the exact same load. 44 gr of IMR4350 behind a Hornady 129 gr Interlock with Rem 9 1/2 primers in Lapua brass.
In Iowa, where I currently reside, my favorite has been a .357 Maximum for the last 8 years. This year I expect that to change to the .350 Rem Mag that I'll be using in a center grip XP-100 with a 16" bull barrel.
That 350 Rem Mag in a rifle has some stout recoil. I can't imagine it it an XP-100.
My Remington Model 7 loved the 225gr sierra game king with BL-C(2). It's one rifle I wish I had kept.

That 350 Rem Mag in a rifle has some stout recoil. I can't imagine it it an XP-100.
My Remington Model 7 loved the 225gr sierra game king with BL-C(2). It's one rifle I wish I had kept.
Surprisingly, recoil isn't that bad with the center grip stock. It has a 16" bull barrel and laminate wood stock and likely weighs more than your Model 7 did. I expected it to be ferocious. But it just isn't that bad. Not the hardest kicking pistol I've shot.