What’s your favorite caliber for deer?

.300 Win Mag
Nobody will ever blame you for being undergunned. 😄

Of the cartridges I've used so far the 270 Winchester has been the best for me.

Deer are easy to kill. I feel we should strive to choose the most efficient means of killing when choosing our cartridge and bullet. I've used 8 different bullets in the 270 so far. 4 have been great, 1 needs more testing, and 3 a little less desirable IMO.

I sure like my 6.5s cut my teeth on the 6.5 Swede and 270s
It's painful for me to admit just how effective my 260's are on deer and even big hogs if I put it in the ear hole.

I hate admitting that they are just as dead for less than half the price every time I pull the trigger on the RUM's.

It's painful for me to admit just how effective my 260's are on deer and even big hogs if I put it in the ear hole.

I hate admitting that they are just as dead for less than half the price every time I pull the trigger on the RUM's.
I haven't used them….yet, but the 145 grain Hornady Precision Hunter for 270 Winchester seems like the worlds perfect whitetail cartridge.

My favorite deer rifle caliber is 300 Winchester Mag. It's killed a handful of deer and one elk. But my new rifle is 280 Ackley can't wait to get my first deer with this one. Wanted to see how my Hammer Hunter 155 will work on game.
Jason

My favorite deer rifle caliber is 300 Winchester Mag. It's killed a handful of deer and one elk. But my new rifle is 280 Ackley can't wait to get my first deer with this one. Wanted to see how my Hammer Hunter 155 will work on game.
Jason
In all the discussion of hammers I've never seen any evidence of one failing to perform as designed.

That says a lot, just do your part and put it where it will do the most good.

In all the discussion of hammers I've never seen any evidence of one failing to perform as designed.

That says a lot, just do your part and put it where it will do the most good.
I live in California and have shot Barnes before and waned to try a new bullet. I like the way the Hammers shoot. I'm just curious on the bullet weight I choose for my caliber. I have a 1-8.5 twist for the 155 and most guys are shooting the 143 or smaller weight bullets. I believe there is enough proof that they will work, but reloading and making your own ammunition it's the last piece of the puzzle when you harvest your animal and check out the evidence.
Jason

Last year my 30-06 with 168gr Speer Gold Dot performed as expected, much as that cartridge has for over a century.

This year I will see how its little brother does on Nebraska whitetail, or God willing a big muley. 25-06 with 90gr Absolute Hammers over RL16 going 3611fps.

My doe tag is being dedicated to a 20" barreled lightweight Savage in 6.5CM with 85gr Hammers over W748 to 3402fps.

I intend to get some first hand Hammer experience in Nebraska and Oklahoma this year. Perhaps my personal 'new' favorite deer cartridge will emerge? 9 days and counting….