What’s the POWDER you love to hate?

Apparently I'm one of the few but I've had no bad experiences with any powders at least not that I considered that powder as a whole bad.
My least favorite to work with is long bulky extruded powders simply due to them not jiving with my powder thrower. I shy away from but don't hate them.
I can't say that I hate any powder. If it doesn't work in one rifle, I try another. Or buy another rifle that it might work in.

Last edited:
Fair or not, I don't give a powder second chances to show impressive results. Although I am going against this practice with H4831sc. I bought 4lbs and I am not getting near book level velocities in the two rifles I have tested it in. I bumped the loads a bit beyond max and started getting faint ejector marks, but still didn't get good velocity. I get better velocity with IMR4831, but don't like the temp sensitivity.
I'm glad I gave superformance a second chance…it's either the best or the worst haha

Hate is not the right word. I hear so many great things about h4350 and Varget as the miracle powders to solve all the reloading problems, just that I never seem to find it in stock. Such a tease.

I always seem to find H4831, it is not the fastest but always accurate and works in most of what I load for.

...any BALL POWDER !!!!! YUCKYCUCKY as my grandson said.
I've certainly had more bad luck than good with ball powders over my experience.

Honestly the older I get the more I come to appreciate the boring old "original" single base extruded powders. They generally don't get the velocity of double base, they don't meter like ball (and I couldn't care less), many don't have any temp sensitivity correcting chemicals added (though I know h4350 does and it's a favourite), they don't have copper erasing chemicals added….

And dang it they just work and they're EASY TO WORK WITH. It's like people too haha…you might have one heck of a job resume and lots of impressive skills and abilities that set you apart from the average joe…if you're not someone that's easy for others to work with sooner or later all that other stuff that's so dang special about you doesn't matter!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I do still like to try new powders when they come around if I can get my hands on them, but again…I'd be a happy camper if I could pass all the newer ones up forever in exchange for a guaranteed availability of
Imr 4064, h4350, h4831, and imr 7828. I honestly could easily load effectively for All my cartridges with those four. And they've proven themselves to me over and over again when I can get my hands on them haha.

Recent Posts