Load Development... what’s your process

I get what you are saying. But if you shoot two shots over chrono with an SD of like 2 and its one nasty hole I am not a betting man but if I was I would bet money that might be an area to explore further. Same thing goes if you shoot two shots and its already an inch group then you know that is area not to explore further. I defeinetly verify loads with 3-5 round groups after this first process and usually several times before I commit to that being "the one".
Now that's a horse of a different color.

Been shooting scenars for good while and swapped back to 140 eldms and those two top groups are 42.2, those are same load shot seperate weekends in seperate conditions. Shot it again this weekend and don't have pic on my phone but was same exact group. With an SD of 1 second group SD 3 third group SD 2. So now I am done!
C5BD593D-7608-402E-BD7A-8D494F46ADC4.jpeg

But initially I did two rounds and it did the same thing at 42.2, 42.5, and then opened up at 42.8 and starting seeing pressure. So I came back and loaded three rounds of 42.1, 42.2, 42.3 and 42.4. and that is where I am at. 42.2 had best SDs and most consistent group size easily repeatable.

But initially I did two rounds and it did the same thing at 42.2, 42.5, and then opened up at 42.8 and starting seeing pressure. So I came back and loaded three rounds of 42.1, 42.2, 42.3 and 42.4. and that is where I am at. 42.2 had best SDs and most consistent group size easily repeatable.
OUT SYANDING!

With selected bullet and primer, load one bullet at SAAMI length, at half grain increments, from lowest to max suggested. So if suggested range is 68.0 to 71.0, I'd load one bullet in each increment at 68.0, 68.5, 69.0, 69.5, 70.0, 70.5 and 71.0.

Shoot ladder test (yes, only one bullet per increment - you had better be on your A game and willing to call shooter error/flyers). Do this until you notice pressure.

If you find 3 consecutive increments that group well, focus on that "node". Alter the charge weight and then seating depth. Hopefully you find a unicorn.

If you don't find a unicorn, move on to the next variation (either swap to different powder or give up on that bullet).

SO, I'm simple concise terms, what's your process?

My process is very similar but with some changes.
  1. I build to a specific length determined by the particular bullet and rifle chamber. From .020" to as much as .150". In some cases I just seat the bullet so the base or top of boat-tail is even with bottom of case neck. Examples: long jump for Barnes (.070" or more), short (.020") for lead core and bullets in my long-action .257 Roberts couldn't touch the lands with a stick.
  2. I don't always start at minimum recommended load, but don't start much above it, either.
  3. I will sometimes build 10 loads using 0.5g powder increments, other times only 5-6. Depends.
  4. If I see pressure signs, I stop and tear down the loads with higher powder charges.
Like you, I look for a consecutive string that provides good accuracy. (I record the velocity and POI for every bullet shot.) Build a few using a charge in the middle of that string and check it out. Quite often I'm done at that point.

This process has saved me LOTS of time and money over the years and I've developed some very accurate loads with this process. As in clay pigeons at 600 yards accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts