Best load development process for hunting rifle

http://www.longrangeonly.com
https://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa-QVTQWdI3NppiuCgKm_eQ

I understand the overwhelming part especially since you have a much harder time sifting through who does or does not know what they are talking about than 10 years ago.

I will always be an advocate of constantly learning. I have tried every method of load development I am aware of and some just work better than others. Some just do not work.
I got you, I watch your YouTube channel, very good channel. I would very much like to see your videos showing your load development!!

I've been reloading with a 10 round ladder test since sometime in 2014. I don't remember the name of the fella who designed it and wrote about it, but it seems similar to the Wheeler method above.

I assumed the Saterlee method was a new name for the same test. I didnt realize until just reading about it now, that its 100% velocity based. Am I understanding that correctly?

I dont think any of my best loads lined up to the velocity node alone. The results that I see on paper were always the driving force to finding good loads, not just the velocity.

Letting velocity lead the way seems like letting the tail wag the dog.

Not sure I want to sit down and test to prove/disprove it in my situation. But I know the Alex Wheeler style load development works.

I honestly couldn't say. I've quickly tried to find it again, but wow, there are alot more options on 10 round ladder tests now. But I'll keep looking and if I find it, I'll post it up.

*edit* rfurman24 mentioned the name in a later post. It was Jason Baney. He wrote an awesome article in 6mmbr

Last edited:
I just signed up on LRO per your suggestion, is your name the same in LRO? I just signed up so I can read your methods of reloading. Is there a thread or two that you suggest I look at? I end up getting the job done bet spend way too much time and money on components getting there.
Currently I would suggest googling Alex Wheeler ladder and Jason Baney ladder. Also just look around LRO for other great information. There may be less posts but there is less BS.

I've been reloading with a 10 round ladder test since sometime in 2014. I don't remember the name of the fella who designed it and wrote about it, but it seems similar to the Wheeler method above.

I assumed the Saterlee method was a new name for the same test. I didnt realize until just reading about it now, that its 100% velocity based. Am I understanding that correctly?

I dont think any of my best loads lined up to the velocity node alone. The results that I see on paper were always the driving force to finding good loads, not just the velocity.

Letting velocity lead the way seems like letting the tail wag the dog.

Not sure I want to sit down and test to prove/disprove it in my situation. But I know the Alex Wheeler style load development works.

Congrats! You have seen the light. Scott's method just is NOT reliable. I have disproven it or I would not be telling people it does not work. Alex uses a few different variations of Audettes method as do I.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/tuning-for-long-range.192998/

Pay attention to what Alex is saying and drown out the peanut gallery.

There really is no nice way to put it. Too many keyboard ninjas jumping in telling me their way is better. I absolutely know there is more than one way to skin a cat but that does not mean they are all the best. I will cover several different methods and discuss the ones I use. For those that are interested they can watch and ask questions on LRO for those who already know everything they don't have to watch. It will be a win win for everyone. LOL!

In the mean time Alex Wheeler has the best load development on the net and I can't teach anything you won't learn from him.

NO need to stop, and who cares what others have to say - opinions are like - well, let's say elbows - most have more than one. I am a bit experienced, and don't consider myself an "expert", but still enough of a newbie to relate to others just starting out. I enjoy learning from those who have the expertise I do not. AND we learn more when we teach. I might ask "why do you do it ta hat way?" but that is to ensure I understand YOUR concept.

Congrats! You have seen the light. Scott's method just is NOT reliable. I have disproven it or I would not be telling people it does not work. Alex uses a few different variations of Audettes method as do I.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/tuning-for-long-range.192998/

Pay attention to what Alex is saying and drown out the peanut gallery.

Thanks for mentioning the name Jason Baney. That's the process that I use. He wrote an article on 6mmbr that was very informative.

Ive used his process in 5 guns, with probably 30 to 40 powder/bullet combos between them. It seems to be knocking at the door of a 100% success rate.

Is the Baney ladder test based off or similar to the Audette method?

There are IMHO now safe cheap ways to develop a load. Get a process that works for you, but you have to shoot to get results, and trying to do it on the cheap can cost you in the end. Now to find the mystical "LRO:)"

Thanks for mentioning the name Jason Baney. That's the process that I use. He wrote an article on 6mmbr that was very informative.

Ive used his process in 5 guns, with probably 30 to 40 powder/bullet combos between them. It seems to be knocking at the door of a 100% success rate.

Is the Baney ladder test based off or similar to the Audette method?
yes, Baney is basing his ladder test on Audette. It seems that Creighton Audette was the first to do it, but who knows. Many think the Edge is a creation of Carlock, but it was done before him too.

I can't believe I am getting sucked in. One of those does NOT show you a load. It may show you areas to look but you still need to test/retest them and they often do not pan out. The other two show you the powder charge, not just possibilities. Alex is just doing a versions of the Audette ladder. OCW actually works very well too but requires more rounds. The Audette Ladder test will show you the load every single time with minimal rounds. If it does not that combo simply will NOT work in your rifle. The other one that starts with an S does not work. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and have performed it 9-10 times. Of those it worked 3-4 which means the other 5-6 I wasted bullets, powder and barrel life. If you have 600 plus yards do a real ladder. If you are limited do an OCW at 100 yards. These are the quickest and most repeatable methods.

Thank You.

I just had a 7mm built...don't bother trying to build a load quickly lol. Get it broke in and plan on shooting 3-400 rounds to get a round and ur drops figured out

I just had a 7mm built...don't bother trying to build a load quickly lol. Get it broke in and plan on shooting 3-400 rounds to get a round and ur drops figured out
Horrible advise and another use waste of money. My 30s are only good for .5 moa for around 1k rounds. I have a load for my newest 30 Nosler in less than 30 rounds with new brass. Once fired sped up ~20fps I will drop the charge to get back to the node and it will be good again. The barrel will speed up around 100 rounds and I will do the same. Drop the charge and be right back it the node. I can not for the life of me understand why I would waste 1/3-1/2 the barrel life just flinging rounds. My carbon barrels are 1k ready to roll add about 50 cents per round in components and I just wasted $500. I think I will pass.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.