Load Development... what’s your process

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Country Bumpkin, Aug 8, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. stljc2

stljc2 Member

2. stljc2

stljc2 Member

sorry I posted this twice. I'm new to this site and it'sa steep learning curve for me.

3. Bbear

Bbear Well-Known Member

Some rifles I do similar to most - shoot 2 at each load and look for a flat spot in the velocity. I have also used the 2 or 3 shots at horizontally placed dots and look for a 'level' spot/range. Then I have also done the 3 shot groups.
    Just depends on what it takes to get that rifle to shoot well enough.

4. stljc2

stljc2 Member

I'm not dogging on it. It's just what I do. If you want to do 2 or 3 shot groups have at it. Didn't mean any disrespect.

5. amce

amce Well-Known Member

Sounds simple and it works for you. Two questions:
    - what range are you shooting at?
    - do you wait a while between shots?

Cheers

6. stljc2

stljc2 Member

Right now 100 yds. As it were I working on two different calibers (.260 Rem & .308 Win.) with a third waiting in the wings. When I get close to nailing it down I'll move out to 300 yds and tweek from there. Yes I give it about 3 min between shots (if it's cool enough out) and 5 if it isn't..or at least enough to cool it down so I can keep my hand on the barrel without a problem.

Cheers back at ya friend.

7. Naymola

Naymola Well-Known Member

Two shot groups work pretty good for me too. Why? No group size will be smaller than the first two shots. Wow, think about that for a minute........Doing load development at 100 yards is really a waste of time and materials. You won't see vertical stringing at 100 yards. At least shoot at 200 for finding promising loads, then fine tune at 300, then finally at 500 to confirm you've got the correct load.

8. Rogue Rider

Rogue Rider Well-Known Member

Anyone having issues with copper fouling from certain powder loads ?

9. stljc2

stljc2 Member

Well ok then. You just do your thing and I'll do mine. Personally I don't consider a 5 shot group a waste of time or material. I don't shoot often enough to be consider myself "professional". With that said it gives me a bit more info on sd, es and velocity. In load development, just my opinion, the more info you have the better off you are. The 100 yd shots are just to see what the load is doing. An important step when your dealing with a new bullet (type, manufacture, new powder type or any change in components. There's always the dreaded "flyer" you sometimes get to deal with. If the 2 shot group gets you where you want to be..have at it. For me I'll stick with my 5 shot group. No disrespect intended.

Rogue Rider likes this.
  10. Frog4aday

Frog4aday Well-Known Member

I'm thinking two shots can't even be called "a group". Seems like the definition should entail three or more shots. If you shoot two shots, you've shot "a pair"...not "a group". What if you shoot one shot? Is that a 'one-shot' group? There has to be some threshold. One shot with a cold bore at a target is the 'test for hunting' shot. Two shots at a target is merely getting you two thirds of the way to "a group". It's like an incomplete...
    You see what I mean.

Rogue Rider and Remmy700 like this.
  11. Remmy700

Remmy700 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I get what you are saying. But if you shoot two shots over chrono with an SD of like 2 and its one nasty hole I am not a betting man but if I was I would bet money that might be an area to explore further. Same thing goes if you shoot two shots and its already an inch group then you know that is area not to explore further. I defeinetly verify loads with 3-5 round groups after this first process and usually several times before I commit to that being "the one".

Rogue Rider, stljc2 and Frog4aday like this.
  12. Frog4aday

I can see how a two shot "start" toward a group could get you excited or leaning toward depressed, but I just don't think it is meaningful without at least a third shot to confirm the first two were the real deal or...just a fluke.

Rogue Rider and Remmy700 like this.
  13. Remmy700

Remmy700 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Usually on a three shot group the third is the fluke cause the shooter gets to excited about the first two lol

Rogue Rider likes this.
  14. Frog4aday

OMG...so true, lol! Almost wish I couldn't "see" the group until I was done. Then I couldn't mess it up.

Rogue Rider likes this.