What’s the POWDER you love to hate?

CFE 223. Don't know if it was the one lb can I had or what, but tried in like 4-5 different guns and never could get it even to come close to book velocities. Accuracy was as impressive as velocity. I really wanted to like it, too.

Gave it to my brother in law once or twice. He tried it a while and said it was too temp sensitive. I hope we finally burned it all up because I don't want to open my reloading cabinet and see it staring at me like a bad penny from behind the H4350 or H4895 😂

Last edited:
Fair or not, I don't give a powder second chances to show impressive results. Although I am going against this practice with H4831sc. I bought 4lbs and I am not getting near book level velocities in the two rifles I have tested it in. I bumped the loads a bit beyond max and started getting faint ejector marks, but still didn't get good velocity. I get better velocity with IMR4831, but don't like the temp sensitivity.

nobody bashing n568 yet?
Have you tried it? I have a couple of pounds of it which I plan to eventually try in 300 WM and 300 Norma rifles. Because I have been unable to get my hands on any more N568 I have been reluctant to spend the time to build up a load for these 2 cartridges with this powder (I use H-1000, N570 and N-217 for those calibers).

Last edited:
Have you tried it? I have a couple of pounds of it which I plan to eventually try in 300 WM and 300 Norma rifles. Because I have been unable to get my hands on any more N568 I have been reluctant to spend the time to build up a load for these 2 cartridges with this powders (I use H-1000, N570 and N-217 for those calibers).
2950fps, 200gr Accubond and no pressure.
1/3 moa @300yds

Fair or not, I don't give a powder second chances to show impressive results. Although I am going against this practice with H4831sc. I bought 4lbs and I am not getting near book level velocities in the two rifles I have tested it in. I bumped the loads a bit beyond max and started getting faint ejector marks, but still didn't get good velocity. I get better velocity with IMR4831, but don't like the temp sensitivity.
h4831 has been around a long time and widely used for its accuracy and stability, it appears.
Its **** sure not the champ of Velocity!

Apparently I'm one of the few but I've had no bad experiences with any powders at least not that I considered that powder as a whole bad.
My least favorite to work with is long bulky extruded powders simply due to them not jiving with my powder thrower. I shy away from but don't hate them.

CFE 223. Don't know if it was the one lb can I had or what, but tried in like 4-5 different guns and never could get it even to come close to book velocities. Accuracy was as impressive as velocity. I really wanted to like it, too.

Gave it to my brother in law once or twice. He tried it a while and said it was too temp sensitive. I hope we finally burned it all up because I don't want to open my reloading cabinet and see it staring at me like a bad penny from behind the H4350 or H4895 😂
I'm selling 3 pounds of cfe 223 on auction soon…same issues. Bought 4 cuz they were available and cheaper…

But it's spiky, burns dirty, has bonkers es and sd numbers (all ball powders that aren't compressed loads seem to suck in my experience EXCEPT h380 - I've been very pleased with h380 after trying it for the first time this year as per @ButterBean recommendation. That guy hasn't lead me astray….yet … 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'm selling 3 pounds of cfe 223 on auction soon…same issues. Bought 4 cuz they were available and cheaper…

But it's spiky, burns dirty, has bonkers es and sd numbers (all ball powders that aren't compressed loads seem to suck in my experience EXCEPT h380 - I've been very pleased with h380 after trying it for the first time this year as per @ButterBean recommendation. That guy hasn't lead me astray….yet … 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Haha good, glad to know it wasn't just me!

Yeah I generally listed to the 'Bean as well. Something about that haircut just keeps me from fully trusting him 🤔

Than again, I, on occasion, shoot (and actually enjoy 🫣) a 6.5 creed, so he probably doesn't fully trust me either 😂

@ButterBean

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230316-140611.png
    Screenshot_20230316-140611.png
    169.8 KB · Views: 46
My 22-250 with 55grain vmax is sure hard on the yotes