What’s the POWDER you love to hate?

Have not tried that one. I know some shooters have great luck with ball powders. I've only tried StaBall, H380, and H414 with marginal results. I have heard about good results with AA2520 in the .308 (I think)
Give AA2520 a shot. Meters like a dream, handles temp swings really good. I didn't have luck with the powders you listed either.

Give AA2520 a shot. Meters like a dream, handles temp swings really good. I didn't have luck with the powders you listed either.
Thanks. I'll be on the lookout for it and give it a try in my 7mm-08, if I can manage to get away from Varget. I enjoy trying different recipes after hunting season

H1000 great in my 300WM. Terrible in my 243AI.

I also mistakenly bought into the idea that one "can't get enough really slow burning powder in the case to hurt anything" Well, I blew a primer in 30F. On the 243AI thinking that!
Every try H4350 or Varget powders? No you can't fill them up to overflowing.

Love to hate powder? Well, I guess mine would be BL-C2. Loaded quite a bit of it in days gone by, and while it produced some good 308 loads for hunting and NM shooting, it tended to be rather sensitive and gave unexpected pressure spikes. Especially when a long match would extend into the hotter hours of the day.

H1000 great in my 300WM. Terrible in my 243AI.

I also mistakenly bought into the idea that one "can't get enough really slow burning powder in the case to hurt anything" Well, I blew a primer in 30F. On the 243AI thinking that!
I've bought into that idea too…for
The most part it's been true tho 🤪

I've actually had great luck in the past with compressed loads of 7828 and rl25…out of a 22 inch .270 Winchester!

All the people, data, and "established wisdom" that say you won't get good performance going slower than 4831 or rl22 simply don't know becuase they haven't tried.

"There's gold in them there hills"

🤪😁🤣😁😁😁

Well, I think that ball powders are a potenial way to make a small case do wonders.

I look forward to trying out the StaBall Match in 308. Yes, I've got some nice loads with H4895, but I'd like to try StaBall Match and see if it won't do a bit better, maybe add 100fps while staying tight in accuracy.

I use IMR4831 in my .243 and H4831 in my 25-06. Neither rifle likes the other powder, so I keep both on the shelf. Some rifles are pickier than most females. I might be an enabler.
Pickiest that I ever shot, FAR MORE DIFFICULT TO PLEASE THAN ANY WOMAN 🤣, was a 220 swift a good while ago.

There were lazer accurate 55 grain flat base imr 4064 loads and there was literally anything else producing shotgun patters.

Never could get IMR-4007 to shoot in anything. Did a great job in the garden though.
Win 760 gave horrible pressure spikes in 243ai

Leverevolution shoots bugholes in sons 6.5 Grendel AR
2 other secret powders that shoot amazing in whatever I put it in. 😁
A side note. They put out an alert for imr 4007 that if anyone had it, to throw it out and stop using it. It was unpredictable and dangerous to use. They refunded my money for it too.

Last edited:
Interesting. I just got some too. Bob I you are see in Az. I am surprised you are using IMR powder. I don't not use IMR powders in my rifles. Temp is a big problem with them. I had gotten some great groups and velocity with IMR powders, but as the temp moves so does the chamber pressure too. Temp change is a problem with double based powders.
Not this Bob. I tried IMR 4350 once due to the shortage. I didn't like it and it sits on the shelf.