What’s the benefit of having a long necked cartridge?

I wasn't trying to steal your thread rifleman, just taking it to the next step in my mind. There was a good thread last week about neck length and it ended up talking about carbon rings, I was still mulling that one over and this thread came up, so I posed all my questions here.

Thanks for all the responses guys (Wildrose, JE, Mudrunner, tbrice), I appreciate it :)

I wish I'd have kept notes on all those rifles over the years, I'm sure it was a combination of type of metal/use of rifle/cleaning. I'm always apt to point the finger at cleaning (it amazes my how poorly some people take care of their "tools"), even though I know there are other factors involved as well.

Thanks again guys!

stanpup05x600.jpg

So much for neck length for bullet alignment:D
It's a score cartridge and it's quite accurate at it's designated purpose

I've also listened to neck length to bore size ratio. I look at Elkaholic's line. He gets the velocity of a wsm and so far the barrel life far better in his SS line. I would guess(and it's a guess because I don't know for a fact) steeper shoulder angle and longer neck length do add to throat life.

So much for neck length for bullet alignment:D
It's a score cartridge and it's quite accurate at it's designated purpose

Cute little guy! I do love the wildcats, but I'm not sure I'd carry those around in my pocket all day chasing game ;)

I understand that "finger" seating bullets and jamming them into the lands works well with tight necks and super tight chamber tolerances, I've done it with ppc's and .222magAI's and shot lights out in BR....but wouldn't dream of such a thing for hunting where I can't carry my bullets to the bench in my Sinclair ammo box ;)

Here's the link to the round though, nice article! He sure has a better imagination than me :) :) :)

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...de-the-box-stan-wares-wicked-no-neck-wolfpup/

Cute little guy! I do love the wildcats, but I'm not sure I'd carry those around in my pocket all day chasing game ;)

I understand that "finger" seating bullets and jamming them into the lands works well with tight necks and super tight chamber tolerances, I've done it with ppc's and .222magAI's and shot lights out in BR....but wouldn't dream of such a thing for hunting where I can't carry my bullets to the bench in my Sinclair ammo box ;)

Here's the link to the round though, nice article! He sure has a better imagination than me :) :) :)

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...de-the-box-stan-wares-wicked-no-neck-wolfpup/
I talked with Mr Ware about this when I read the article. It's a purpose built kitty that serves it's purpose of satisfying a rule. I hear you on the ppc and triple deuce. I shot both in br as well. Someone asked me once what my coal for my ppc was and I couldn't tell him because I did exactly what you describe. put the bullets in by my fingers and closed the bolt to seat them.

It always worked for me, I've never been introduced to the hunter class of BR, interesting set of rules.

Awesome story and nice looking rig JE.

I don't know how to just post the pictures so I poster the thread.

The second page of the thread has a picture of the cartridge on the extreme right with other cartridges for reference.

J E CUSTOM

Another way is to put your cursor on the image hit the control key and the C to copy. Then you can either right click your mouse or control key and V to paste the image

Wow ! that is not much neck even by my standards. and Hunter Bench rest is not single loaded.

Here is another example of a short Neck that performs very well with good reloads.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/the-375-zayne.175302/

J E CUSTOM

Hunter Benchrest is single loaded, they do require you use an action with a magazine cutout. Just an FYI...
Has anyone heard that ball powders are suppose to burn cooler and reduce powder flame cutting?

Wayne

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.