One of the first long range cartridges šŸ˜Š

Good 'ol triple duce. When I was young all I thought about was the big cannons. Lol. Had a friend that could shoot the eyes out of a snake with his .222. After many decades he still has it.
When I was a kid and all we had was a single shot .22 and a single barrel shotgun, there was a kid at school that would bring in photos of he and his family hunting hogs, foxes and goats in NW NSW, a state in Australia, and the rifles they used. We didn't even own a camera then. Lol.
They had several Sako rifles, all 70's era L series, the prettiest one being a 222Mag with extra fancy wood, rose wood fore end tip, rosewood grip cap and white line spacers between tip, grip cap and butt pad.
I wanted one so bad my Father took me to the Big Smoke and we looked at new Sako rifles and they were so pretty, but EXPENSIVE, we're talking 3 months salary, and we're way out of what my Father could afford, so it stayed a dream until I was able to find them and buy them as an adult myself. My Father loves the 270, he has 2, a Ruger 77 tang safety and a Sako L579, I bought them both for him and he adores the Sako so much he refuses to hunt with it, oh, and it's a deluxe Forester. He's 76 this year and still gets out and hunts half a dozen times each Winter.
Sorry to reminisce, but this brought up good memories and not so good memories.

Cheers.

When I was a kid and all we had was a single shot .22 and a single barrel shotgun, there was a kid at school that would bring in photos of he and his family hunting hogs, foxes and goats in NW NSW, a state in Australia, and the rifles they used. We didn't even own a camera then. Lol.
They had several Sako rifles, all 70's era L series, the prettiest one being a 222Mag with extra fancy wood, rose wood fore end tip, rosewood grip cap and white line spacers between tip, grip cap and butt pad.
I wanted one so bad my Father took me to the Big Smoke and we looked at new Sako rifles and they were so pretty, but EXPENSIVE, we're talking 3 months salary, and we're way out of what my Father could afford, so it stayed a dream until I was able to find them and buy them as an adult myself. My Father loves the 270, he has 2, a Ruger 77 tang safety and a Sako L579, I bought them both for him and he adores the Sako so much he refuses to hunt with it, oh, and it's a deluxe Forester. He's 76 this year and still gets out and hunts half a dozen times each Winter.
Sorry to reminisce, but this brought up good memories and not so good memories.

Cheers.
When we get up a few years we fall back on our memories alot. Enjoyed your story.

Took me a while but about 10 or12 years ago I found a really nice Rem 700 BDL in .222. Went right out and got RCBS dies and a Forester Micrometer Seating Die and have only shot paper with it. I think it is a 1970s rifle with a 12 twist. I think 52 Grn Bullets' are the heaviest I can shoot. Now that I am retired, It's one rifle I will enjoy working up a load for, just for fun. I have a 30 X Leupold with a 1/8 inch target dot sitting on it. It's fun shooting at small targets at 100 Yards

I have a Remington 788 in 222. With it suppressed it sounds like a 22 mag going off. What a pleasant rifle to load for and shoot. I get 3/8 groups at 100 yds. Hardly uses any powder, barrel doesn't heat up fast. We use it often to warm up when we shoot other rifles that burn more powder. A great rifle to teach new shooters with ....cause it shoots small groups all the time. I let them try to shoot small groups...then i shoot. Show them how.....let them try again. The new shooters love that rifle

Another favorite old time 22 caliber which i use on a regular basis to thin coyotes that get to close to farm is the 22 Hornet. Love that round. 46 grain Winchester bullet at 3000fps works well to a couple hundred yards and very quiet report. Easy to handload as well lots of brass seems quite easy to find because know one uses that caliber much any more.

Mike Walker, the inventor of the 222, has said, that just like the 50BMG is a scaled up version of the 30-06, the 222 is a scaled down version of the 30-06.
I actually load mine to match the 223, it's only a couple of grains over and the brass handles the extra pressure without issue.
Otherwise, all that neck space goes to waste. Lol.
Have checked it over the Pressure Trace every time I have changed powder lots (748) and it always stays around 55,000psi-58,000psi. Could push it more but no real need.

Cheers.

A list of "One of the First Long Range Cartridges" should include the .270 Win. which came to market in 1925, and .270 Weatherby Mag, which became available about 1945/ 1946. I would also include the 264 Win Mag, which I believe was a 1950s round in the Modal 70. In my opinion, the hunters of the the late 1940 's ; 1950's and the 1960's had three very good long range rounds to choose from. The advancements in Cartridge design, and the components of Bolt Action rifles have been incredible since those days . The modern hunter / target shooter of today has a huge selection of excellent very long range cartridge's to choose from. I still love my .270 Win rifles, and my 270 Weatherby Mag Mark V , and I would not be disappointed at all to own and hunt with a 264 Win Mag in a classic Model 70 either. With todays incredible bullets and Powder selection, those early , old time rounds, are still in field , taking game. That makes me happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.