What’s Going On At LRH??

View attachment 97802
What has happened to technical discussions? Seems like this forum has become a magnet to people who are looking to sell stuff.
Where did all the original members go? Hardly see them on here anymore..

Joel:
Agree with your observations and comments 100%. I can only speak for myself but I check in here less than a fraction of what I used to for the very reason that you have brought up.
In addition to the drastic increase of items for sale I also find it unusual compared to other forums that when you punch up new posts you can only get 10 pages. A person needs to check in a minimum of once a day as 10 pages are filled up easily in a day with 70-80% of the posts being for sale adds. Needless to say if you go hunting for a week you are no longer in the swing of things with this forum.
I am not complaining but if I'm not doing a build 75% of the current traffic on this forum no longer applies to me.

I think so many of people's problems with rifles, scopes, reloading and many other things has been hashed and re-hashed on here so many times over the years that a person can do a search and have a weeks worth of problem solving knowledge to read through and solve their problem so there is no need for them to post anything.

That's not a bad thing but it does result in less posts. And then there is no need for the more experienced people to post. Which I am not one of the experienced people that I am talking about but have been here a while.

I think a lot of people that have been on here are more lurkers now. But I do post if I can solve a problem or help out in some way as most do still. I just think the need is less now.

It certainly does appear that "WTS" ads dominate the forum lately.

IMO (and who am I to say) only regular contributors should be able to post free ads. Others, who generally post just to use the site for personal sales should either be excluded from doing so or be required to pay a fee to support the forum.

I'd hate to see this site become a swap/sale site. There are plenty of other places to conduct that type of business.

Again - I'm just stating my opinion. Len has done a GREAT job maintaining one of the best sites (resources) available to the LR community.

Agreed! Most of us are members there too, I just don't frequent it as much as I do here.

I'm starting to swing over that way. I like the reviews a bit more. I also don't see the same know it all's posting on every single thread. Everybody seems to stick to the point with a lot less ****ing contests. I'm not against the selling and trading, as I have done my fair share but also gotten burned before too.

Having said that there seems to be a lot less relevant, technical, discussion happening on here lately. Love the site, always have but I find myself wanting to get on here less and less because of it.

An old guys point of view.
Well how technical is it anyway? Or at least how technical does it actually need to be?
I well remember when Unertle scopes ruled because there weren't any others. Where i hunt, more deer were killed l/r then than now.
So were supposed to argue/debate over technical advances?
As for the for sale items, i hadn't noticed the change and I'm here about every day.
But then I'm also not interested in those, so i don't see them, same as most of the new other stuff.
We found our way around the country before interstate roads existed. But now we need a GPS to get from PA to WY on I 80, and i'm only half joking.
NO, i don't still use the Unertle. lol

@yobuck I don't think it's an argument (although it definitely turns that way sometimes). But, yes, a lot of the discussion on here has turned to the tech advances and which item suits a certain users needs better. We have so many shooting accessories and options today that's its amazing. I prefer that to shooting a fixed red field scope from 1975 which my dad still owns! Lol.

I really enjoy the scope forum, rifle, barrel, and ballistics forum, and all the hunting forums. A couple of the tech articles are really informative. The 40 rounds to perfection article about PRS was excellent. The info is still here, just got to look for it now, as others have stated.

There are a couple of guys that I miss reading their posts. I wish they would come back.

@yobuck I don't think it's an argument (although it definitely turns that way sometimes). But, yes, a lot of the discussion on here has turned to the tech advances and which item suits a certain users needs better. We have so many shooting accessories and options today that's its amazing. I prefer that to shooting a fixed red field scope from 1975 which my dad still owns! Lol.

I really enjoy the scope forum, rifle, barrel, and ballistics forum, and all the hunting forums. A couple of the tech articles are really informative. The 40 rounds to perfection article about PRS was excellent. The info is still here, just got to look for it now, as others have stated.

There are a couple of guys that I miss reading their posts. I wish they would come back.

Well not many ever used a fixed Redfield or any other for serious long range anyway, but point is there was lots of very good serious distance shooting going on well before the modern day bandwagon left the station.
Look at the 1000 yd records set 30 years ago and compare them to today. Yet the equipment used then would be apt to get you laughed at today.
An example would be a more recent record that held up for about 14 years, and set with a home brewed gun on a 721 action with what many today would consider a lousy Leupold scope.
Why aren't we seeing new records set more often,
considering the advancement in equipment and shooter knowledge?
The answer has very little to do with modern technical advancement and shooter knowledge, and a whole lot to do with good shooting coupled with old fashioned luck.

.....old fashioned luck.....

I don't follow scores so it's a question as much as a statement, while "records" haven't changed much the consistency has improved, and the proof may be less in the records, but in how the field and/or top tier players are performing.

I don't follow scores so it's a question as much as a statement, while "records" haven't changed much the consistency has improved, and the proof may be less in the records, but in how the field and/or top tier players are performing.
Hard to add to this statement. Although seeing Bart's .2whatever 600yd 5 shot group was something pretty amazing.

The articles and posts are what got me visiting this site. Google searches always get you here.

I buy and sell on this site because of all the articles and good discussions. Too much information is dangerous for me. I change my mind so often. I need to buy and sell stuff to scratch the itch of so many good options and persuasive arguments.

Figured I should chime in. My scope ad was in the original screen shot. :)

The articles and posts are what got me visiting this site. Google searches always get you here.

I buy and sell on this site because of all the articles and good discussions. Too much information is dangerous for me. I change my mind so often. I need to buy and sell stuff to scratch the itch of so many good options and persuasive arguments.

Figured I should chime in. My scope ad was in the original screen shot. :)

Amen brother!!!

......The articles and posts are what got me visiting this site. Google searches always get you here.
......I buy and sell on this site because of all the articles and good discussions. Too much information is dangerous for me. I change my mind so often. I need to buy and sell stuff to scratch the itch of so many good options and persuasive arguments.
.....Figured I should chime in. My scope ad was in the original screen shot. :)

A lot of truth here.

I've bought things from the site, and utilized some of the sponsors with excellent results.

The ads are generally a good thing-they've just grown out of proportion.

I just clicked "new post" 16 out of 20 are sales, they're almost like pop ups at this point. I'd like to see the sales require going to the classifieds to view them. I think the categories would focus shoppers to what they are looking for.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.