What’s Going On At LRH??

The for sale stuff has been on my mind for awhile, I wouldn't mind if one had to go to Classifieds to see it. Reduce clutter a bit for me.

I think, don't know but I think there are a fair amount of Facebook sites where selling isn't allowed, maybe pushes more this way. More base membership makes it attractive to sellers.

We aren't getting any younger.

Enjoy seeing your creations Joel.

There is likely to be more and more traffic now that it's harder to sell used guns online. Gunbroker site infuriates me, and Armslist is scammy nonsense that is only good if you want to trade your stuff for a bubba'd glock 19.

A forum to sell your stuff where you can actually look to see previous statements/trends of the person is going to pull interest. LRH, Snipershide, Rokslide all have extremely active classifieds sections. I had good luck with Reddit till they nuked r/gunsforsale

Back when I joined up, it seemed the membership had a broader knowledge base, when it came to shooting and reloading. Guys, that had been there and done that, were offering opinions and help, when someone had a problem.

Now days, it seems nobody can pick a bullet or powder for their rifle, without posting on every forum they visit. I suppose it's faster than researching two or three manuals and doing your own testing.

As to the classifieds, they seem to be increasing dramatically with the influx of new members. I buy much more than sell, but have made some good deals with good people. I avoid dealing with new members and members who join only to sell.

All things considered, LRH is still a good site to share info and buy & sell, but it feels different than the old days. I have noticed a lot of the reliable voices are no longer posting as often.

How many frequent visitors jump on and head straight to "new posts" like I do?

I don't really like seeing all of the "for sale" posts since they are technically "new posts", would it make sense to exclude any of the "for sale" stuff from popping up on the "new posts" tab?

This would obviously reduce traffic/exposure to the for sale items, but I'd like to think that we aren't just s bunch of compulsive shoppers on this site (so I'm guessing that most buyers are actively searching for deciding items).

Thoughts?

I to have noticed a change in the number of sales post but had not paid a lot of attention to them unless it was something i was looking for.

I have been around this site for quite a while and to be honest, I miss the charity that was common and prices were good for members and not inflated like a lot are now. I still believe we are sort of a brotherhood and need to look out for people struggling to put something together for a reasonable price. The best example i see lately is some one selling brass for more than you have to pay retailers when you find it just because it is hard to find and not what they payed 10 years ago and don't need it any more.

I can recall many times that a fellow shooter needed something and a member gave them what they needed to help them out if it was in reason.
I can also remember the rifles that were given to members and the fact that all the parts and labor were donated.

I guess what I am saying, it is up to us to keep this site what it was and could be.

J E CUSTOM

I have noticed a considerable spike recently in the sale posts, it does get annoying. I am also a member of LRO, and while it is a great site with great knowledge, it is not as user friendly and not near as wide of a knowledge base. I do however visit it often, as if you do get several responses on a post they are pretty much always good information. I have seen only one guy on there that was out in left field.....

morning, every internet site has its likes and dislikes.
remember we as reloaders, hunters and experminters
r a very small group of Americans and others. enjoy
the freedom we have to transmit info of our daily
ventures and read the questions of the not so
experienced and try to help!! FACT if u do not
like what u read, don't read!! just me gbot tum

If classifieds are bothering people just don't read them. I'm pretty sure I've never clicked on the crossbow subforum here. People can do the same with classifieds.

If classifieds are bothering people just don't read them. I'm pretty sure I've never clicked on the crossbow subforum here. People can do the same with classifieds.
I think you may have misinterpreted the intent of the thread (no insult intended). I think the purpose was not to state frustration, anger or anything else like that, but instead to make a factual observation. I think all of us know that if we don't want to read something all we have to do is....well....not read it. And it's not a huge inconvenience either, but a rather small one. To find discussion threads, one must wade through all the for sale/trade/ISO threads when searching new posts. In the last several years these threads have exploded, and it makes me curious the cause. Is it more shooter involvement in the sport, is it a different group of people getting involved in the sport, is it people joinimg the forum simply to be able to sell their stuff, or a combination of all? Possibly its something else.

Or I may be wrong, people may just be bitching about having to search through the forums ha ha. Either way its interesting to observe :)

While there are certainly more classifies then there used to be, and quite a few of the original participants are no longer posting, I do find that there are numerous posts on a regular basis that provide valuable information, and make for very interesting and thought provoking discussions. This site continues to be my "go-to" for practical LR hunting and shooting.

I have tried to go on some other forums. Most of them seem to be full of guys that are looking for a fight or to make fun of someone. The goal of pointing out how stupid someone is while showing everyone looking how smart they are. I just can't stand it.

To the credit of LRH and the membership, this site remains a civil place to exchange information and ask questions without the fear of being called stupid. For that reason I enjoy coming here and reading. The classified ads seem to be becoming dominant in the new posts. The fact is it drives traffic to the site and that is the goal with a for profit endeavor. Nothing really wrong with that. Is what it is. I would like to see a filter, as stated earlier, that keeps the classifieds out of the new post filter.

We started a forum that is linked to our website and modeled the rules after this forum. We do not ever plan to sell advertising on it nor ever have classified ads. We use a free forum host so it has popup ads on it. We could pay to have no ads but then it changes our intent and we would have to make sure the forum is producing income. We created ours to help drive traffic to our online store but more so just because I have enjoyed LRH so much over the years that I wanted to offer the same kind of atmosphere but have as little commercial influence as possible. I like how LRH membership takes care of most of the policing of the conversations. If we ever have to police our forum my notion is that we will just shut it down. I like the family atmosphere. We are all sportsmen from different backgrounds.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.