Well, I’m done Adulting for Today and Tomorrow…

I've been craving a drone for multiple reasons and just added another one. Hopefully the drone technology has matured enough that it won't be obsolete within a month after I get it... LOL
My wife totally surprised me with mine. She and my eldest son went grocery shopping, when they got back home she came through the door with a bag of groceries and said there's more. I went out to the truck and opened the back door and there were big bags from Best Buy, I thought my son got a bunch of stuff. They both came out and she said have fun!!! It was the whole SHABANG man, drone, big screen controller, the headset which is WICKED but someone else has to fly it!!! It has an awesome camera and that's what I use it for the most! Get one buddy they're incredible...

Not having used either... I like that this would give downrange velocity as well. The major drawback that I would see would be needing a target frame as opposed to setting up some steel and walking away.
My club has 12 of these for major matches ( to 200 yards) Makes scoring easy and instantly. Keeps large matches running smoth.

My drone is the Mavic 2 pro. it has a 45 minute flight time, I would Imagine loiter time would be more. No need to loiter, it'll do 48 mph back to where ever you are. Plus it has a max distance of five miles!!! I've never flown mine out of line of sight... This model has a Hasselblad camera on it, it's fantastic!
vlcsnap-2021-06-18-18h41m30s161.JPG

My drone is the Mavic 2 pro. it has a 45 minute flight time, I would Imagine loiter time would be more. No need to loiter, it'll do 48 mph back to where ever you are. Plus it has a max distance of five miles!!! I've never flown mine out of line of sight... This model has a Hasselblad camera on it, it's fantastic!
View attachment 443744
May I ask, where you got it, and how much you paid for it? Are you happy with the vendor? No drama?

Thanks

Drone thing is an awesome idea, but my range sessions can be hours. I have an airstrip range to shoot on where the owner is OCD about tire impressions of laid over grass of even 4 wheelers. I have specific instructions on what directions I can ride the 4 wheeler and I try to stay off the grass as much as possible. Other than repainting the plates, this will save me a lot of back & forth.

A better way to use a drone is to set it up very near the target. Then shoot and launch the drone and look at the target. Then hit the return home button and it will land itself within a few inches of the spot where it took off. That way your preserve batteries.

DJI drones (can't speak for other brands) handle wind very well. Any wind you are likely to be shooting in won't even be a factor in being able to hover.

There are forums dedicated to DJI drones. I picked up a very nice unit for a song. It's much like this forum with people have to have the latest and greatest version and lots of churning of product.

As for learning to fly, they have beginner modes where crashing one is virtually impossible. They also have sensors which help avoid obstacles.

Best way to use a drone for the camera would be to set it at the target. If you were going to have an extended shooting session.
The mini air 2 has about 30 minute flight time. It has a long range like 5 miles. We have flown ours for about 2.5 miles. The camera has a zoom which does zoom in pretty good.
Probably could fly up and look at target. Then fly back. If you wanted to land and watch target I would want a good sized table or very clean flat spot to land on.
Might have to have an arrow painted on table facing target so you could look down with camera before landing and then look up with camera after landing.