Weight of rifle

Time Killer

What is your preferred rifle weight for Elk hunting? And why? If you aren't sure on weight, barrel contour, stock, etc.

I think a lot depends on how much walking/hiking you have to do while hunting. If it isn't much, than weight is not an issue. However, if you are covering a lot of miles in rough terrain, as I do, than something in the 10-12lb range is about maximum.

10 to 12 lbs scoped with bipod. Sendero contour. Light enough to carry in my back pack scabbard. Heavy enough to take the 1000 yard shot if needed and conditions permit. Yet still light enough to shoulder and take a shot in dark timber too.

Jeff

Depends on the kind of shots I think I'll be presented with. For shooting out to 1000 yards the Sendero represents an ideal platform.
The rifle I actually use is an Allen Precision custom 270 WSM.
Stiller Predator action, Jewell trigger, Manners MCS-SL all carbon fiber stock, Satern #4 taper fluted barrel, Talley rings and bases, and a Nightforce 2.5-10 scope. Rig weighs about 8 lbs as is.
I would feel comfortable shooting elk to 700 yards with it, assuming proper rest, no or low wind, good shot angle. I prefer a 7mm but got a steal on this rifle, NIB.

Remington Ti 30-06 with Leupold VX-2 6.5 lbs or Remington Ti Alaskan 300WM with Leupold VX-3 7-3/4 lbs. I have heavy guns but not for elk hunting where up to 2500' elevation gains every day are the norm. If I were starting over I would buy a Kimber Montana or Savage Light Weight in 308 and kill stuff. The areas I have hunted including antelope I have never needed to shoot further than 300-yards, but i do like hitting stuff long range for fun.

I don't usually mind a 12 pounder, for elk anyway. Usually hunt the regular season with horses or the late season cows in the snow with ATVS and snowmobiles. Do a bit of walking now and then but not enough to warrant putting the "Elk Stick" on a diet plan :D

I'll echo what Broz and COhunter14 said. Sendero contour, and about a 2# stock. All said and done is a little over 10#. I've noticed too that when I hunted with beefier stocks with wider forends, my hands and arms would get more fatigued because they werent as comfortable to carry as stocks with the classic style forends.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.