Weatherby's New 6.5 RPM

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by lgloutfitters, Sep 6, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Hoss50

Hoss50 Well-Known Member

My assumption is they wanted a new 6.5 magnum that would fit in the standard 6 lug mark v action. They just released it in a rifle that is sub-5lbs for back pack hunting. The same rifle in 6.5-300 weatherby is 1lb heavier.

Rich Coyle and Jud96 like this.
  2. Rich Coyle

Rich Coyle Well-Known Member

Dude, what was the question I didn't answer? By the way, I'm not the one on the "long action" kick. Check history. When the actions came back from WW2 some gunsmiths took those .30-06 actions and cut them in two off center. They made two short actions and two long actions from two standard .30-06 actions. If they were already long actions why were the 'smiths doing what they were doing?

3. Jud96

Jud96 Well-Known Member

That was in 1945... like I said. That was 74 years ago. Things can change. We no longer have to cut actions in half. Also, if you started with 2 actions, how would you end up with 4? I know of the alterations you speak of. But mainly I saw them cutting 1917 Enfields in half, removing material, and welding/brazing the two halves back together to make a single short action. I’m sure the same thing could be done, but adding metal to make a longer action. Again, those actions are no longer our only options and they’re obsolete, along with cutting them in half. You don’t answer anyone’s questions or provide anything to the discussion other than arguing over action terminology.

4. Rich Coyle

Jud96,
    Again, what was the question?

5. 25WSM

25WSM Well-Known Member

I am glad there doing the rpm. I've always wanted that brass.
    Shep

can1010 and Jud96 like this.
  6. Danny1788

Danny1788 Well-Known Member

This thread is getting off topic, a lengthened 6.5-284 with case capacity running close to 264wm, no belt and standard bolt face. Sounds like a badass cartridge. I’m down to chamber one. Let’s see if brass will come out. Probably Norma but fingers crossed Lapua?

7. Rich Coyle

I'm hoping to get one from the first shipments. The local mom & pop store is checking for me.

Andrew Massi likes this.
  8. Lahunter76

Lahunter76 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I personally believe this is Weatherby moving into a “modern” case design, just so happen the 6.5 is the darlin’ of the times and for a commercial value went with the 6.5 on top of the new case. I am personally very excited with this case and really look forward to what they do with this. If I wasn’t in the process of building a rifle with a different mind set I would be really looking at this round. I think this is a very strong all around cartridge. I have always been a fan of the 264win and the 257 Weatherby.

Code4 and Jud96 like this.
  9. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

I have a Mk V stainless in .270 Winchester I bought back in 2000. So essentially I can just rebarrel it to the 6.5 RPM?

10. Rich Coyle

Havoc,

Yep.

Havoc likes this.
  11. 22250imp

22250imp Active Member

So what about the 26 Nosler, So about the actions, why don't we just compromise and say short, long, and magnum.

12. Danny1788

Danny1788 Well-Known Member

Dude are you that behind the times. Modern actions are short usually 2.8” then medium 3.1” and long 3.6” these are all Remingtons or clones. Yes Tikka only makes one length action and different bottom metal for length of cartridges but honestly the rem 700 and clones are the standard in this day and age. The most aftermarket parts are available for them.

Jud96 likes this.
  13. 22250imp

22250imp Active Member

ok ok ok, ya I'm a little old fashioned. LOL I have some of them all, not really too worried about how they are labeled !!

14. LazzInc

LazzInc Official LRH Sponsor

I am still amazed at all this Ruckus about the 6.5s ,,,,, one of the best ever is certainly the .264 win mag, even though the neck length was a bit short on the brass ,,,,,

now com'on ,,, NOTHING magical about the 6.5" (.264) bullet diameter, actual bullet diameter in metric dimensions 6.71mm ,,,,,

reasonable bullet weights with 8.5-10 twist barrels ,,, 115-150gr ,,,,, anything heavier than that, borders on pressure problems with the tighter twist barrels needed to stabilize ,,,,,

GREAT caliber for Coues deer, antelope, whitetails and Muleys ,,,, even maybe Caribou at reasonable ranges ,,, larger than that, shoot something bigger, especially at ranges beyond 500 yards ,,,,,

Ingwe, 22250imp and CVCOBRA1 like this.