Weatherby's New 6.5 RPM

I have had a few bad dealings with Weatherby CS messing up rifles in last 10 years - sadly left me going to a Montana SS rifle in 300wby.
Last rifle they made a mess out of drilling a stuck scope base screw - I mean when the drill bit slides down the receiver ring and scratch the barrel that's just lazy poor workmanship. My son sold that accumark has a Interarms Mk X custom in 300wby.
Nice rifles pathetic CS

Here is the chamber print from PT&G:

It features 2.580" chamber length with 0.188 Freebore:

6.5WeatherbyRPM chamber print.jpg

6.5 Weatherby RPM cartridge.PNG

6.5 Weatherby RPM loads.PNG

Note the inclusion of BOTH the 6-lug and the 9-lug actions.

Here is the comparison between the two actions. Note, the length of the action is the same. The action body and bolt diameter is larger for 9-lug action.

Weatherby Mk V actions 6lug 9lug.PNG

Last edited:
I'm very much confused on how to asking about a 6.5 RPM has bled into a "discussion" about action sizes? This is from weatherbys website. "The 6.5 WBY RPM is based on a lengthened version of the existing 284 Winchester. This cartridge has a rebated rim, making it compatible with standard 30-06 bolt faces". So it seems very much like a "lengthened 284 would definitely be a long action. Especially with with long modern 6.5 bullets and Long COAL that modern long range bullets tend to like. And 30-06 is and always will be a long action.
As your probably aware of the Weatherby Mark V have 2 variations of actions. There is the original 9 lug and the 6 lug design. The 9 lug can handle roughly a 3.8" COAL Magnum long cases and the 6 lug design can handle about a 3.5" COAL...

Yes, the 30-06 is considered a standard long cartridge and it was designed well over a hundred years ago. The standard SAAMI COAL length is set at 3.340" which is well within the limits of both actions. That same 3.340 " length is also within the limits of many of the european medium actions too. The problem is with the current plethora of long high BC bullets out there you can easily exceed the the SAAMI spec COAL on any of the 30-06 designed cartridges like a 280 AI loaded with a 195 Berger and a long throat. That combo's COAL probably will not work even in the Wby 6 lug mag box but would easily fit in a 9 lug length action with room to spare.

The confusion is because the 57 year old Remington 700 action has now become the benchmark or definition of what we consider a LONG ACTION today. The Remington can handle the 3.8" mag length cartridges just like the 9 lug Wby can. The Remington long action/mag box can also be modified to handle a cartridge length of up to 4". The standard 6 lug Wby action/mag box is stuck at around 3.5", or a half inch shorter. It can easily handle the old SAAMI 30-06 cartridge COAL loaded with medium weight bullets. but not the big Magnums. So the 6 lug Wby is now perceived by many as a "tweener" or medium action. Not really a full magnum long action nor a short. Just like many of todays european medium actions.

Guess it is all boils down to of what one's perception of sizing and how it has changed thru the years. A good example would be what a compact and full size car was perceived as over 50 years ago and what it is now.

Here is the chamber print from PT&G:

It features 2.580" chamber length with 0.188 Freebore:

View attachment 149113

View attachment 149116

View attachment 149117
Note the inclusion of BOTH the 6-lug and the 9-lug actions.

Here is the comparison between the two actions. Note, the length of the action is the same. The action body and bolt diameter is larger for 9-lug action.

View attachment 149118

That match chamber is really nice but I don't think it will play well with the Wby 6 lug magwell length of around 3.5". The longer 156 gr. Berger using the .188" match throat will have a coal of somewhere around 3.61".
I guess it's time for Weatherby to update their 6 lug maxwell/bottom metal to handle the longer high BC bullets.. Seems to me there is plenty of room to accomplish this.

Is there any company out there like Wyatt's that has an aftermarket kit to accomplish this on a Wby 6 lug action? Or maybe retrofit the 9 lug magbox into a 6 lug action/stock??

I find the 6 lug interesting, I've built with a lot of 9 lugs and have taken the box out to 4 inches COAL but never have played with the 6 lug, I know the Vanguard I just cut it for a Remington box mag and thin it out and it's GTG, would be interesting to hear from someone who has worked on the 6 lug.

An extended 284 case. Whatch how many ways this gets wildcatted. I bet it's going to be a 7mm and a 308 and a 257 right away. I'm willing to bet guys have reamers already being made. Can't wait to watch this one get banged around. I'm probably a 6.5 guy now because of superior bc bullets so I like it right where it sits. Shep

One thing that hasn't been brought up yet, a rem 700 LA standard bolt face action is gonna need the feed rails opened a little?? I really like this round, looks like an unbelted 264wm, Which is awesome. 26nolser and 6.5-300 is too much

It's actually a problem, with the optic designs we are seeing getting a scope mounted properly for the user and still have proper bolt function is getting a little difficult. The lower throw of three lug actions is becoming a real advantage!!
Really? Are manufacturers starting to build long range scopes with 36mm objective lenses or similar? We are talking long range optics here. I have low throw bolts too, and quite like them, but haven't seen Rem 700's cause any actual problems.

One thing that hasn't been brought up yet, a rem 700 LA standard bolt face action is gonna need the feed rails opened a little?? I really like this round, looks like an unbelted 264wm, Which is awesome. 26nolser and 6.5-300 is too much
You don't have to open up the feed rails. I have a .284 built on a standard 700 long action that was originally a .270 Winchester. I didn't do any modifications at all to the action to accommodate this case.

I have a Winchester Model 70 Classic in the shop that was originally chambered in 30-06, but the barrel was shortened to 20" because the muzzle was damaged. I think this will be a good candidate for rebarreling to 6.5 RPM Wby.

Its aggravating to read through 5 pages of nonsense to find a few relevant responses to the OP"s post. A few of you guys should read over your responses and see how ridiculous you sound.

PM the ******** amongst yourself and don't blow up the OP"s post...Jesus

I have the 6.5-257wby reamer and it makes a very much improved 257wby. You can still shoot 100 or 120 grain bullets. But faster. Then the bc is so much higher on the 6.5. At 600 yards the 257 has 1200 foot pounds. The 6.5 Has 1300 ft pounds at 1000 yards. I really love my 257wbys but why can't they do a tweener bullet? Take a 105 6mm with a 550 bc and blend the 6.5 140 with a 650 bc together. Should be a 600 bc 117 gn. But there is nothing close to that. I have 115 gr match 257 that have a 520. 25 will always be a proverbial redheaded s__p c___d until bullet maker do some high bc bullets. I think the 6.5 wby will sell good. Basically a modded up 6.5-06ai. Shep
Blackjack bullets make a 131 grain bullet that needs a 1 in 8" twist. Rebarrel your .257 and use the original brass.

The op ask;
Any body have any thoughts on this new cartridge for hunting or just in general? Pros, cons, comparisons.

Thoughts. Pros. Cons. Comparisons. How many post doesn't meet this criteria.
Thoughts and comparison open it up to just about anything.
Your post doesn't meet the criteria. It's just a complaint. About us discussing our thoughts and comparison of the cartridge. Your post has nothing to do about the cartridge at all. I suggest you read a different post and be happy. We are all happy and don't need someone griping about it. Say something relevant or go away. Always one in every crowd. Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.