Weatherby Mark V Action Quality Ranking

:D

I have not trued or had trued a Weatherby of any kind. The German made Mark V is now a 338 Edge. Shoots very well.

Could you elaborate on this? I have never shot a Weatherby V, just a Vanguard.

When you unload your unspent rounds out the Mark V they just fall into your hand. What you fire a round the case comes flying out. I called Weatherby and asked a technician about it because I though mine was defective, he said it was designed to do that.

With my other bolt actions when I empty unspent rounds the cartridge flies out big pain in the ***, have lost a few shells that way. But not with the Mark V :eek:)

to throw in my 2 cents, i have a mark v that im very disappointed in as a factory rifle. for the money on what i spent on it, the accuracy is sub par. i have spend major time load testing just to get around .75 moa. and i mean i have close to 400 rounds down the tube to get there. i haven't hunted with the rifle because i haven't shot it past 400 yards and not sure i trust it or my loads yet.

i will be sending the action out one of these days to get a new tube put on. i do like the action and think its up there with any other on the market .

3/4MOA is pretty good for a hunting rifle. Especially when Weatherby claims 1 1/2; unless you get one of their very accurate tested rifles.

you're not wrong, but when the rifle costs over 2k, and its performance is that of rifles that cost under $500, its very disappointing.

I know the feeling of disappointment. A couple years ago I bought a Pierce Titanium 20 ounce action, Christensen carbon wrap barrel, custom stock, aftermarket trigger, nice fat scope and it shot 1.5MOA on a good day. I used it on a few hunts and killed a few animals. At the end of that hunting season I took it to the 'smith. He dissembled it and purchased the barrel and trigger from me. I sold the action, rings and scope to a couple other guys. I bet I had four grand into that toy.

Now I'm waiting for my 6.5SLR six lug Weatherby to come back from the 'smith with a new barrel. Since it's been months I purchased another six lug Weatherby the other day. Sometimes I'm not very impressed with my financial decisions. Oh, yea, I purchased another Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 to go on it.

I know the feeling of disappointment. A couple years ago I bought a Pierce Titanium 20 ounce action, Christensen carbon wrap barrel, custom stock, aftermarket trigger, nice fat scope and it shot 1.5MOA on a good day. I used it on a few hunts and killed a few animals. At the end of that hunting season I took it to the 'smith. He dissembled it and purchased the barrel and trigger from me. I sold the action, rings and scope to a couple other guys. I bet I had four grand into that toy.

Now I'm waiting for my 6.5SLR six lug Weatherby to come back from the 'smith with a new barrel. Since it's been months I purchased another six lug Weatherby the other day. Sometimes I'm not very impressed with my financial decisions. Oh, yea, I purchased another Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 to go on it.

I purchased my 300 Win Mag Weatherby Ultra Lightweight last year, with every intention of shoot Nosler 190 Gr. ABLR's with it as the energy and velocities rivals a .338 cartridge.

Out of the box with that round the bullets were all over the map and no where near 1.5 MOA which Weatherby guarantees, it was actually pathetic!

I had my gunsmith swap out the barrel with a Wilson Contour 3 Match Grade barrel which he free floated and glass bedded. Now at 100 yards you can't tell which bullet is the one you shot first as the bullets go into the same whole. At 200 yards the bullets are touching and at 800 yards I an achieving 3 to 5 groups depending on how much I drank the night before! lol

I purchased the rifle at Cabalas for $1,550.00 the cost to replace the barrel was approximately $800.00 so now I have a custom Weatherby for $2,400.00 that shoots incredibly well and I am very happy with it and I love the Weatherby action!

As a side note I would like to congratulate Len for reaching the 100,000 member mark. Len and this site is AWESOME! Happy Hunting everyone gun):)

you're not wrong, but when the rifle costs over 2k, and its performance is that of rifles that cost under $500, its very disappointing.
Unless it was one of their special models with an accuracy guarantee like the Accumark it shouldn't have run you over 2k.

You can buy a whole lot of Mark V's for 1,500-1,600.00

Have you contacted Weatherby to see if they could help you?

I've known quite a few guys that shot Weatherby Mark V's exclusively simply because it's the strongest and safest action on the market and they felt that alone justified the cost.

^ this
accuracy is one thing, but if you had to pick an action that you were going to have an case blow with you behind it, I'd pick the $2,000 action over the $500 action every time.

You are not saying which model, what chambering. For all we know you could be telling the truth that you can only get 3/4 MOA but it's a 460 Weatherby

An action that can't be blown up is a big deal. The power and/or flat shooting part of Weatherby chamberings is part of it too.

I've never taken that many rounds to find the load. I did for a Vanguard 223 with a 12 twist but now it shoots great. So good I don't want to mess with it.

You could buy some other brand premium rifle for over 1k then have to fix it.

You are not saying which model, what chambering. For all we know you could be telling the truth that you can only get 3/4 MOA but it's a 460 Weatherby

An action that can't be blown up is a big deal. The power and/or flat shooting part of Weatherby chamberings is part of it too.

I've never taken that many rounds to find the load. I did for a Vanguard 223 with a 12 twist but now it shoots great. So good I don't want to mess with it.

You could buy some other brand premium rifle for over 1k then have to fix it.

its an accumark in 338 lapua and it cost me around 2100 with tax.

i have called weatherby to hear the "its only guaranteed for 1.5 moa" line, and thats where i left it. no doubt the action is beast but im just not happy with the outcome.

before i bought it i read enough guys say their weatherbys are tac drivers and they hold .5 moa without issues, hence why i went in this direction. i didnt think i would have this many issues.

its an accumark in 338 lapua and it cost me around 2100 with tax.

i have called weatherby to hear the "its only guaranteed for 1.5 moa" line, and thats where i left it. no doubt the action is beast but im just not happy with the outcome.

before i bought it i read enough guys say their weatherbys are tac drivers and they hold .5 moa without issues, hence why i went in this direction. i didnt think i would have this many issues.
Unfortunately you can't believe most of what you read on the net about accuracy from posters who's identity isn't even really known.

Have you tried any Weatherby factory ammo in it to see how well it does or doesn't shoot?

When you bought it, did it not come with a target shot with your rifle from the factory to show it's accuracy?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.