Weatherby Mark V Action Quality Ranking

I've always been a Weatherby Mark V fan probably since that was my first rifle. I have several custom 700s and a couple Mark Vs and I prefer the Mark Vs on my big game rifles.

Here is my custom 270 Wby, 26" Lilja #5, McMillan stock, tuned trigger and 230" of horn at 560 yards. It started as a 257 Wby Ultralight that never impressed me. This is my favorite deer rifle.
FDC22F9D-E293-4F90-A786-15BCD83C85F3.jpg
[/URL][/U][/IMG]

Nice deer man, congrats buddy! Surprising how small it's body is compared to the antlers!

JE Custom, perhaps the greatest hurdle in using a WBY action is the cost which will turn most away. I found a Mark V 7mm Wby rifle with a toasted barrel for $600 and thought I'd stolen it. Will make a great doner action for a WBY caliber TBD.

JE Custom, perhaps the greatest hurdle in using a WBY action is the cost which will turn most away. I found a Mark V 7mm Wby rifle with a toasted barrel for $600 and thought I'd stolen it. Will make a great doner action for a WBY caliber TBD.

That is the kind of deal I was talking about. (I have never found one that cheep) I did buy a really nice one for $700.00 and saved a bunch because I sold the beautiful stock for $200.00 and helped cover the cost of a stock that I wanted.

I priced a custom action large enough for the build and to buy everything needed, was almost double. With the Mark 5 I had everything.

The best one to buy is one chambered in the 378 based case because there is very little mods to make and most of the time they have been shot very little. (To much recoil for many people).

J E CUSTOM

I've got 3 custom Weatherby mark V's. A 22-250 6 lug, and 300 Dakota and 300 Rum. All shoot as good as my Defiance and Bordens. Strong and accurate. Don't worry....

G7cZMmvh.jpg

This is my Customized 300 Win Mag Ultra Lightweight Weatherby, after shooting it and doing research I can say this. The Weatherby action is one of the worlds best, I am happy to say :)

I picked up brand new 300 wby fiber mark around last Christmas on a clearance for less than $600. The first thing I did was order a McMillan stock and sent the rifle off with the new stock and a proof research blank to Straight Shooter Customs to get built into a 338 LM. The rifle turned out fantastic.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_1.jpg
    imagejpeg_1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 117
i picked up brand new 300 wby fiber mark around last christmas on a clearance for less than $600. The first thing i did was order a mcmillan stock and sent the rifle off with the new stock and a proof research blank to straight shooter customs to get built into a 338 lm. The rifle turned out fantastic.

cool!

Wanted to tag in and offer my affection for the action... After taking notice of a few traits in other actions, I've come to appreciate the 60 degree bolt throw, well thought out safety location, easily tunable trigger and really good looks. I know the looks shouldn't be as important as other things, but as I've considered building a range toy savage, I have a hard time looking at that awful bolt profile and bolt release that looks like it belongs on an AK. They're an attractive rifle.

The latest Mark V Weatherby Custom.....The 375 Zayne. Started as a 30/378. I sold the barrel and stock which paid for over half the build.

Attachments

• IMG_2719.jpg
    IMG_2719.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 87
So who would everyone recommend to do work on a mark 5? First step I would like the bolt stop extended and longer box mag to feed 300 WM that is over 3.3". We will see where we go from there.

So who would everyone recommend to do work on a mark 5? First step I would like the bolt stop extended and longer box mag to feed 300 WM that is over 3.3". We will see where we go from there.

Without even a second thought, contact "Hired Gun" here on the forum. He owns Straight Shooter Supply and does fantastic work on Weatherbys.

Back in the day P.O. Ackley did a test. He increased a load in a Mouser action till it literally blew up the action. He put the same load into a Weatherby Mark V and fired it. No adverse effect. He loaded another and fired it in another Mouser. Again the action was destroyed. Again he loaded the same load in the Weatherby and fired it with no adverse effect. STRONG!

have made this statement several times in the past, and I'll do it again. Roy Weatherby had a MK. V. action on his desk that was used as a paper weight. It had been a .300 mag action. They shot a squib thru it, and the bullet was lodged midway in the barrel. They then shot another full bore load thru it pushing the first bullet out. The bolt opened freely and the receiver actually was reusable. Try that with a Remington or Savage action!!!

J.E. Custom has said several times that the MK.V. was machined more accurately than any he'd measured. I've never checked one, so can't vouch for his comment.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts