Weatherby Mark V Action Quality Ranking

Nothing really wrong with it, look at the pressures they normally operate at all the time. The clients that buy them normally aren't the gun people that run this forum, they'll build anything, anytime. They just buy their box of $86.00 shells and go sit in their elevated platform stands. I've never seen anyone build anything using one, never seen a gunsmith advertise working on them...who knows maybe you'll a new trend !

I have built many rifles on Mark V 9 lug and Vanguard actions. I have 3 6 lug Mark Vs to do "normal" diameter chamberings.

A couple smiths here use Mark V's.

It's not a main stream action for builds. It is strong.

A couple guys here may disagree with me but my 26-Nosler variants, 2 on Mark V's 2 on 700 actions. There is a difference. Mark Vs never get "sticky" cases at high pressures. I know why. I won't say because there will be a disagreement that will degenerate into an argument.

Being a range master at two long range groundhog matches in the northeast for a combined fifteen years I never saw a single rifle in light or heavy custom built on either action, vanguard/mark V...not one. And looking up and down the Ridgeway VBR line I've never seen one there either..these matches have the best of the best built by the finest gunsmiths on the planet. They matches range from 100-1000 yards and depending on which match stop off at 200-300-500-850-900-950-1000, I never saw one appear in the factory straight off the shelf classes either.. So that's why I said I've never seen one in true competition bench rest matches that require superb accuracy. Toobe honest I've never seen that many based on winchester model 70 actions either, mainly 700's, Savages and every custom action on the planet...tells me something about what long range shooters think about every type of action.

Maybe builders are little intimidated of the Mark V.
They may think they have to get contact with all the 6 or 9 lugs. Which is not true.....
Just a thought....

As for the Vanguard action, it would be no different Than the Rem 700 to build off of. They are virtually the same design...

Edited to add... The exception of the Vanguard is.... Those **** metric threads, and no local Smith is setup for metric... That's the only gripe I have with it....

I'll say this for the action, I love the way the bolt slides out with a trigger release. Easy Peezy.

I own a P17 which has an older version of the mauser auction, I prefer the Weatherby! Never had an issue with my P17 through even though it is 100 years old, killed many critters with it. My father had a custom stock made for it and it's a beauty, this is it.

9Nojmexl.jpg

60N8SEKl.jpg

Thanks for that FEENIX, I am now even happier then I was before reading the comments in your link, especially this:

"Weatherby's Mark V is probably the best of the modern, push feed bolt actions. It lacks controlled feed, but offers great strength, smoothness, fast operation and very high manufacturing quality. It is one of the all-time great bolt actions and it was designed from the outset for a hunting rifle. For hunting the most dangerous (Class 4) game I'd probably prefer a controlled feed action, such as a Mauser 98 or Winchester 70, but for most other purposes I'd take a Mark V."

Well, I have always like weatherby quality and I like the fact that they take lefties into consideration................

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_2753.jpg
    IMG_2753.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2766.jpg
    IMG_2766.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 105
Back in the day P.O. Ackley did a test. He increased a load in a Mouser action till it literally blew up the action. He put the same load into a Weatherby Mark V and fired it. No adverse effect. He loaded another and fired it in another Mouser. Again the action was destroyed. Again he loaded the same load in the Weatherby and fired it with no adverse effect. STRONG!

With a couple exceptions the MK.V. is the strongest action you can lay your hands on. The others are falling blocks and one odd bolt gun mostly used in Africa. Roy Weatherby had a .300 Weatherby MK. V. action laying on his office desk that he used for a paper weight. They purposely fired a squib in it, and then fired a full bore load thru it. The barrel had a large bulge in it, but the first bullet was simply pushed out by the second bullet. They bolt still cycled smoothly, and could probably have been rebarreled. The barrel after it was removed was placed in a corner. Try that with a 700 Remington, but make sure Obama Care has you covered!!

gary

There are several...and I do mean several people on this site that use Mark V actions for custom builds. They are incredibly strong, accurate and have a wonderfully smooth workability to them. I am building yet another custom off a Mark V action. A 375/378 Weatherby Improved (375 Zayne). I'm building it for my 14 year old who loves accuracy, and long range performance. I built myself a 338/375 Rum Improved called the Texan a year ago. Shoots .445 groups at 200 all day long. These actions are perfect platforms to build from. They aren't for the lazy or rich, although they can be a bit spendy depending on what your looking for, they are a well build, super accurate option for someone who can't spend 1200 on a action. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Here is a picture of the Texan.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 119
There are several...and I do mean several people on this site that use Mark V actions for custom builds. They are incredibly strong, accurate and have a wonderfully smooth workability to them. I am building yet another custom off a Mark V action. A 375/378 Weatherby Improved (375 Zayne). I'm building it for my 14 year old who loves accuracy, and long range performance. I built myself a 338/375 Rum Improved called the Texan a year ago. Shoots .445 groups at 200 all day long. These actions are perfect platforms to build from. They aren't for the lazy or rich, although they can be a bit spendy depending on what your looking for, they are a well build, super accurate option for someone who can't spend 1200 on a action. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Here is a picture of the Texan.
I remember the rifle build dream team you chose for that build...
Very nice!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.