Weatherby Mark V Action Quality Ranking

KillerBee

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Weatherby Mark V 300 WM Ultra Lightweight which I had customized by removing the barrel and replacing it with a Wilson Match Grade 3 contour barrel.

My question for those of you that know actions: Would you happen to know how the Weatherby Action on the Mark V ranks in the world of actions?

It is considered a fair, average, good or excellent action in the world of rifle actions? Thanks in advance for your input!

KB

I prefer a Remington 700 and the Browning A-Bolt II actions...But personal preferences aside, I have been told the MK-V action is one of the strongest factory actions available.

I prefer a Remington 700 and the Browning A-Bolt II actions...But personal preferences aside, I have been told the MK-V action is one of the strongest factory actions available.

Thanks MudRunner. I owned a Browning Mountain Ti 300 WSM and loved the action, nice and tight! Great to hear that the Weatherby MK-V action is considered to be one of the strongest! Feels pretty nice when I crank rounds into it.

What does strongest mean??? lol :)

Thanks MudRunner. I owned a Browning Mountain Ti 300 WSM and loved the action, nice and tight! Great to hear that the Weatherby MK-V action is considered to be one of the strongest! Feels pretty nice when I crank rounds into it.

What does strongest mean??? lol :)

Back in the day P.O. Ackley did a test. He increased a load in a Mouser action till it literally blew up the action. He put the same load into a Weatherby Mark V and fired it. No adverse effect. He loaded another and fired it in another Mouser. Again the action was destroyed. Again he loaded the same load in the Weatherby and fired it with no adverse effect. STRONG!

Nothing really wrong with it, look at the pressures they normally operate at all the time. The clients that buy them normally aren't the gun people that run this forum, they'll build anything, anytime. They just buy their box of $86.00 shells and go sit in their elevated platform stands. I've never seen anyone build anything using one, never seen a gunsmith advertise working on them...who knows maybe you'll a new trend !

Nothing really wrong with it, look at the pressures they normally operate at all the time. The clients that buy them normally aren't the gun people that run this forum, they'll build anything, anytime. They just buy their box of $86.00 shells and go sit in their elevated platform stands. I've never seen anyone build anything using one, never seen a gunsmith advertise working on them...who knows maybe you'll a new trend !

My present rifle is based on a Weatherby Mark V six lug action. The only thing left Weatherby is the action. Even the trigger is changed. When it was a .25 caliber I would put ten shots into 7/8" at 100 yards. Now it is a .26 caliber and I'm still working on the load. With a 22.2 ounce scope it weighs 7lb 2oz.

Back in the day P.O. Ackley did a test. He increased a load in a Mouser action till it literally blew up the action. He put the same load into a Weatherby Mark V and fired it. No adverse effect. He loaded another and fired it in another Mouser. Again the action was destroyed. Again he loaded the same load in the Weatherby and fired it with no adverse effect. STRONG!

I like the sound of that wildcatter! Guess my decision making process is sound! Thank you buddy!

My present rifle is based on a Weatherby Mark V six lug action. The only thing left Weatherby is the action. Even the trigger is changed. When it was a .25 caliber I would put ten shots into 7/8" at 100 yards. Now it is a .26 caliber and I'm still working on the load. With a 22.2 ounce scope it weighs 7lb 2oz.

Thinking of changing the trigger too! This is my modified Weatherby MARK V:

SiUGkkgl.jpg

photo did work.

You can't see it but the barrel ends with a Terminator T2. The Swarovski z5 5-25X52 was replaced with a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. In side by side the z5 was about as far behind the 6500 as my right eye is behind my left eye after cataract surgery. The right eye is 20/20 and the left eye is 20/15. Both are very good in low light so neither has an advantage. The 6500 is six ounces heavier than the z5. Maybe in a few years that six ounces will be enough to cause me to get another z5.:)

020_zps5ec3f074.jpg

You can't see it but the barrel ends with a Terminator T2. The Swarovski z5 5-25X52 was replaced with a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. In side by side the z5 was about as far behind the 6500 as my right eye is behind my left eye after cataract surgery. The right eye is 20/20 and the left eye is 20/15. Both are very good in low light so neither has an advantage. The 6500 is six ounces heavier than the z5. Maybe in a few years that six ounces will be enough to cause me to get another z5.:)

020_zps5ec3f074.jpg

You are one stud young man and nice trophy, hunt on!!!!! I love my Weatherby simply for the stock fit :eek:)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.