Weatherby Fans & why?

I am surprised. When I saw this thread start I thought the haters would come out of the wood work, but so far only one. I am always amused by how many people are 'triggered' by Weatherby chamberings and rifles. Love em or hate em, Roy and his offspring did a lot to advance shooting and the development of the rifles and chamberings we are shooting today. Put me in the Love em camp. The Wyoming Weatherby Mark Vs are amazing rifles in fit, finish, and precision. They are very hard to beat in a production gun.

I will go on to say that the Weatherby folks have historically, and still do support many conservation and sportsmans groups, from their folks sitting on board of directors positions to volunteerism to donations.

We had our Mule Deer Foundation banquet last night and not only did Weatherby donate hugely, they sat down with me prior to the event to take the time to pick out a multitude of firearms they donated. Additionally, they showed up in full force at the banquet with sixteen people, including Adam and his wonderful wife. Adam did our opening prayer and the whole group stayed until the very end of the event, with nothing to gain.

I already had a huge respect for the history and innovation of the Weatherby family, but my view of them as a company and their folks was positively impacted over the past few months through interactions with them.

Although my father who has passed on had a large admiration for Weatherby firearms I had somehow neglected to add any to my arsenal. This will have to change. After touring the facilities and seeing the heart and pride that their employess have, as-well-as the outdoor communities support they offer, I am moreso inclined to support these fine folks.

Every single Weatherby mk v backcountry I picked up at a local store (6 or 7) and looked at has had such a sticky bolt, I can't see how they make it out of their factory. I'm talking, open the bolt halfway, hold the gun muzzle up, and the bolt doesn't budge.

Couple that quality with Uber expensive ammunition, unnecessary amounts of recoil, and you have a recipe for platforms that people rarely actually shoot. Being unfamiliar and uncomfortable with a weapon is a recipe for poor marksmanship.

I think back in the day Weatherby became popular with the mpbr type shooting. The crowd that "zeros" their rifle at 300 so they can just hold somewhere on an animal and probably hit it.

With today's equipment (scopes that dial reliably, reticles that work, better bullets, etc) there are much better options.

Perhaps you started with a bias. I just checked mine. The cartridge follower pushes up on the bolt, so of course the bolt stays where ever you stop it. When worked from the shoulder, the way one should, it is very smooth as were all the Weatherbys I had.

I didn't start with a bias. I was actually considering buying one (not in a Weatherby cartridge of course), but a rifle with a binding bolt isn't worth 2k.

A $2500 rifle?....Really?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the 54 degree bolt lift and their styling.The ultra light weight accumark is a nice gun.I also like the new Backcountry 2.I wish the Vanguard was a 3 lug design.They have a model for just about anything you want to do.They may not compete with a custom rifle but for a factory rifle they are hard to beat.

Absolute fan of their design, not a fan of their rifles.
I still have 257 Bee, 270 Bee, 300 Bee and 375 Bee. Was building a 6.5/300 Bee, but no longer shoot.

Cheers.

Every single Weatherby mk v backcountry I picked up at a local store (6 or 7) and looked at has had such a sticky bolt, I can't see how they make it out of their factory. I'm talking, open the bolt halfway, hold the gun muzzle up, and the bolt doesn't budge.

Couple that quality with Uber expensive ammunition, unnecessary amounts of recoil, and you have a recipe for platforms that people rarely actually shoot. Being unfamiliar and uncomfortable with a weapon is a recipe for poor marksmanship.

I think back in the day Weatherby became popular with the mpbr type shooting. The crowd that "zeros" their rifle at 300 so they can just hold somewhere on an animal and probably hit it.

With today's equipment (scopes that dial reliably, reticles that work, better bullets, etc) there are much better options.
Oftentimes, the pursued animal gives you no time to dial in the range. My 300 Wby & 340 Wby are zeroed at 300 yards and I practice at 400 & 500 yards. Once I get the target in my scope, those rifles go "boom". Minimal time needed aids success!

It's one of those brands I've always wanted to like and man did they use to have some beautiful walnut stocks…but the radius shoulder cartridge design sucks, the 9 lug bolt design would never achieve 100% lug engagement and a lot of free bore tends not to lend itself to accuracy.

It just adds up to not for me because I think only accurate rifles are interesting.

Just my opinion

It's one of those brands I've always wanted to like and man did they use to have some beautiful walnut stocks…but the radius shoulder cartridge design sucks, the 9 lug bolt design would never achieve 100% lug engagement and a lot of free bore tends not to lend itself to accuracy.

It just adds up to not for me because I think only accurate rifles are interesting.

Just my opinion
hahahaha aaa hahahahaha NOT accurate ----- You funny man! Factory rifle, factory ammo!!! 3 @ 100

IMG_0163.JPG

Just my opinion
I hear so many people say the radius shoulder sucks. So you have a "double angle" on your standard cartridges and a "double radius" on Weatherby.. So far, every time I asked why the double radius sucks, nobody was able to answer. For my education, can you please tell me what about it sucks?

The Wtrby 257. Great cartridge!
LH Lazermqrk skinny barrel Japan
and a Ultra Light Weight.

Weatherby's factories my rifles are not a go to the range and shoot 30 - 40 rd's
—- Cold bore 3 shot rifles.
You HAVE to allow to go cold ..not warm but cold. it's simulating field conditions that count.
Stalk to <400 and make the kill shot.
And it just kills.
Have always hand loaded all my rifles. 200 yds 3 shots < 3/4"
Never any issues.

I'm a to each is own, people say/do things to justify their liking of something else IMO. You don't have to justify why something isn't appealing to you. That's fine - I'm probably called a collector than fan, own many makes/models from 224 through 340. I have german, jap and USA model - wood and fiber stocked. To say I love Weatherby is an understatement. I have 6 kids - 4 of which are boys who I look to pass things down to.

257 Weatherby is my all time favorite and one of my favorite rifles to use is a ruger 1 - lol nostalgia I guess :)

Being a LH shooters I've acquired a few of those and I mix it up now, but if it's not a 257 it will most likely be a 240, in Texas white-tailed deer, antelope and small/medium sized exotic game don't need much more than that and I like taking pictures with pretty rifles! ;)