Weatherby Fans & why?

I hear so many people say the radius shoulder sucks. So you have a "double angle" on your standard cartridges and a "double radius" on Weatherby.. So far, every time I asked why the double radius sucks, nobody was able to answer. For my education, can you please tell me what about it sucks?
Radius shoulders lend themselves to laminar flow. Sharp angle shoulders lend themselves to turbulent flow. I'm not an expert in the science but in simple terms the radius shoulder and laminar flow allow gas and un-burnt powder to flow easier into the barrel. The sharp angle shoulder and turbulent flow creates a more complete burn within the case thus increasing the efficiency of the cartridge. One of the reasons Ackley improved is able to achieve higher performance in some cartridges.

A side effect of the radius shoulder cartridge is ease of manufacture. It is easier to produce sharp angles and straight lines therefore precision is easier to achieve. In other words producing a die that can match the shoulder dimensions needed for your chamber should in theory be easier. Not saying the radius shoulder can't be done to the same degree of precision just that it's easier and better chance of being done with the sharp angles and straight lines.

Radius shoulders lend themselves to laminar flow. Sharp angle shoulders lend themselves to turbulent flow. I'm not an expert in the science but in simple terms the radius shoulder and laminar flow allow gas and un-burnt powder to flow easier into the barrel. The sharp angle shoulder and turbulent flow creates a more complete burn within the case thus increasing the efficiency of the cartridge. One of the reasons Ackley improved is able to achieve higher performance in some cartridges.

A side effect of the radius shoulder cartridge is ease of manufacture. It is easier to produce sharp angles and straight lines therefore precision is easier to achieve. In other words producing a die that can match the shoulder dimensions needed for your chamber should in theory be easier. Not saying the radius shoulder can't be done to the same degree of precision just that it's easier and better chance of being done with the sharp angles and straight lines.
I beg to disagree. Radius shoulder let less unburned powder out of the case. AI increases case capacity, maybe that's more of the reason of higher performance

hahahaha aaa hahahahaha NOT accurate ----- You funny man! Factory rifle, factory ammo!!! 3 @ 100

View attachment 440521
What would it look like if you shot 20 shots at the same spot?

I've seen plenty of barely MOA rifles produce their fare share of 1/4" 3 shot groups.

Not calling you out, simply giving some food for thought. 3 shot groups aren't a very good representation of what the system is capable of. 20 shots with however much time between gives you a good idea. 40-50 shots at the same spot really cuts through the noise of shot dispersion.

I've seen plenty of barely MOA rifles produce their fare share of 1/4" 3 shot groups.

Not calling you out, simply giving some food for thought. 3 shot groups aren't a very good representation of what the system is capable of. 20 shots with however much time between gives you a good idea. 40-50 shots at the same spot really cuts through the noise of shot dispersion.
Get real it's a HUNTING rifle.... Haters gonna hate, out of the box AMERICAN made bee's rock buddy, just admit it!!!

Get real it's a HUNTING rifle.... Haters gonna hate, out of the box AMERICAN made bee's rock buddy, just admit it!!!
I have German (1958-59), Japanaese (early 1980's) and American (2010-2016). The worst shoots 0.5" at 100 yards 5 shot group, the best 0.4" at 200 Yards. They are hunting rifles. I never had to shot at game twice with the 300WBY, up to a really big Zebra and a really big Hartebeest. Its not a rifle to go compete, its a rifle to go harvest game.

I don't hate Weatherby's just giving my opinion on why I don't seek them out. It is absolutely great that they're made in America now instead of Japan. I wouldn't hesitate to own one if I came across a great deal on a Mark V Deluxe (American made of course) with that awesome walnut stock I'd be all over it.

But to spend over 2k on a new one that most likely won't shoot as good as a Remy or Savage is just dumb in my opinion.

It's one of those brands I've always wanted to like and man did they use to have some beautiful walnut stocks…but the radius shoulder cartridge design sucks, the 9 lug bolt design would never achieve 100% lug engagement and a lot of free bore tends not to lend itself to accuracy.

It just adds up to not for me because I think only accurate rifles are interesting.

Just my opinion
I've heard all those arguments for years. Except for those spending 10K on a custom rifle and ammo, my Wearherby's have never been outshot by other rifles. My 340 Wby will put three 210gr Noslers in 2-1/2" at 300 yards. My 300 Wby shoots 1" groups at 100 yards. I never shoot more than 3 shots as that's the most I believe I'll get at any game animal.

I understand the lug theory, but real proof is in the shooting. Many 2 lug actions don't bear equally and still shoot well. I agree accurate rifles are the only interesting ones, but you have to shoot them to find out. I've always been impressed by the accuracy of Weatherbys and the pre-1980 Remingtons.

On a side note hear and nothing to do with Weatherby, why is a 20 shot group unreasonable for a hunting rifle? Do you not shoot it more then 20 times in a year? A perfect test for a hunting rifle would be to take 2 shots a day for 10 day's at the same spot from the same position. If that group isn't .4 or .5 you don't have a .4 or .5 system.

I personally do not own a .5 rifle. I do however have a couple that will regularly shoot .25 moa groups and they have never shot larger then .75 moa groups. I consider this a 3/4 moa system.

On a side note hear and nothing to do with Weatherby, why is a 20 shot group unreasonable for a hunting rifle? Do you not shoot it more then 20 times in a year? A perfect test for a hunting rifle would be to take 2 shots a day for 10 day's at the same spot from the same position. If that group isn't .4 or .5 you don't have a .4 or .5 system.

I personally do not own a .5 rifle. I do however have a couple that will regularly shoot .25 moa groups and they have never shot larger then .75 moa groups. I consider this a 3/4 moa system.
Sounds like something Biden would say 😝 NEVER EVER shot more than once on big game, twice at running yotes... You must not be a hunter

I don't hate Weatherby's just giving my opinion on why I don't seek them out. It is absolutely great that they're made in America now instead of Japan. I wouldn't hesitate to own one if I came across a great deal on a Mark V Deluxe (American made of course) with that awesome walnut stock I'd be all over it.

But to spend over 2k on a new one that most likely won't shoot as good as a Remy or Savage is just dumb in my opinion.
What is cheaper? Let's see, buy a cheap rifle, throw away the stock and the trigger, or buy a rifle you just throw on a scope and go hunting. Maybe the cheap ones are still cheaper, maybe not. I have two times as many Ruger than Remington, three times as many WBY than Ruger and twice as many WIN M70 Classics than WBY. I only own hunting rifles in bolt action. No competition or custom. I can take anyone hunting on a moments notice.

We all have preferences, and I have no problem with that. Some people like blue eyes, others green or brown.

Guess it depends on if you want a hunting rifle or a target rifle. I believe Roy Weatherby was designing a rifle for hunters. No hunter should need more than 3 shots at a target. Most target shooters want less recoil due to the high number of shots they shoot. Ultra high velocity will wear out a target rifle much more quickly, but flat shooting rifles make it easier to take game.

I hold degrees in Physics and Engineering. Science, though it tries, never explains everything perfectly.

lol - that last sentence sums it all up for me! Remington made good rifles 20 years ago, not since and savage, well they have never and look at what the crap they both produce today costs? Weatherby - hmm was never bailed out by your tax dollars! ;)

My first rifle (other than a 22) was a European Weatherby Mark V 257 Mag. It has a beautiful 'tiger' walnut stock. I don't know how many rounds I've put thru it but it needs a new barrel however Weatherby doesn't make them in the sporter contour any more and I don't want harm the stock. It has killed speed goats (all the way out to 600 yards), white tail and mule deer including some heavy Canadian deer. At 3400 to 3600 fps on 117 to 100 grain bullets this little gun was great.

I also have a 700 Mark V Weatherby that still shoots 3/4 moa.

I also have what was called a Mark V Superlight 300 with a synthetic stock. It had accuracy problems but Weatherby had me tighten down the stock at 120 inch pounds and it now shoots a 1/2 moa or better. It has a 26" barrel with a brake on it. I believe this gun is adequate for any game on the North American continent.

One last one, I have a Mark V Accumark 338/378. It has a 26" barrel with a brake on it. I bought it to take to Africa at the recommendation of the PH who was very high on that rifle. Unfortunately I was unable to get there due to finances. It is way more powerful than you need for any NA game. With 225 grain bullets and a bucket full of 7828 powder if gets close to 3300 fps. With the rifle's weight and the Weatherby brake this gun is actually easy to shoot. This is also the most accurate Mark V that I have.

I do not believe there is a better action than the 9-lug Mark V. Weatherby rifles are made for the hunter, not for bench shooting. I have a couple of other rifles not bearing the Weatherby stamp. I even have one based on a Remington 700 take off semi-custom $5,000 6.5 Creedmoor. But my heart is with Weatherby.

I didn't start with a bias. I was actually considering buying one (not in a Weatherby cartridge of course), but a rifle with a binding bolt isn't worth 2k.

A $2500 rifle?....Really?

You remind me of the folks who claim to be life long republicans who say they don't like Trump. A four letter word comes to mind.

Recent Posts