Weatherby Fans & why?

No doubt that if it doesn't fit you or if it is too light, the 300 Wby really kicks. All rifles are individuals, but my Weatherbys are very accurate. If I had one that didn't shoot moa, I'd send it back to them. Typically, I've gotten them with a target indicating a good grouping and the cartridge used. Ammo can definitely be the problem as an accurate rifle won't shoot well with the wrong ammo. And then, a "man's got to know his limitations'"!
I'm sure it would shoot. He had only one kind of ammo and it just wasn't gunna shoot it well. Could have been loose scope/ action screw ect. As I didn't look at anything on it close enough to give it a real inspection as we were getting ready for a hunt and he had 3 different rifles to shoot that he had just bought off a relative of his. He ended up using the r700 300 rum that had a brake on it 😂

It's one of those brands I've always wanted to like and man did they use to have some beautiful walnut stocks…but the radius shoulder cartridge design sucks, the 9 lug bolt design would never achieve 100% lug engagement and a lot of free bore tends not to lend itself to accuracy.

It just adds up to not for me because I think only accurate rifles are interesting.

Just my opinion
Is there another lug set up the you have in mind that has 100% lug engagement? Not sure how you can say one way or the other but curious

Absolutely incorrect about freebore being inaccurate.
In fact, it IMPROVES accuracy and those that read the BS of the 70's/80's gun rags will believe ANYTHING.

You're a funny dude.

Cheers.
Yep, that's why all the benchrest shooters out there are jumping there bullet .250" 😉

Having been on forums when they were called BBS (bulleting Board Service), for the young ones, this is before the internet was made available to the public, I have learn that there are different people on line. They are the ones with real experiences, and understanding, and always ready to explain and there those who hear something here or there, do not try to verify, take it and run and regurgitate with emphasis trying to convince others they know what they are talking about.
This thread to me, has run its course, so I ma moving on.

I love me Weatherby's and my Winchester's M70 CRF.
Good shooting everyone

I'm a Weatherby fan a Hunter and a hand loader. My 1st Mark V Deluxe in 270 Weatherby Mag killed mule deer and antelope on my first ever Wyoming Mule Deer hunt 1979/1980, It also killed a small elk in 1982, in Colo. I purchased a used Mark V in 300 Weatherby Mag, about 1988./89. I hand load for it as well. About 2019 I purchased a Weather Mark V Ultralight , ( 6 Lug action ) chambered in . 270 Win. This rifle became my go too whitetail deer rifle. I gave my beautiful Madel 70 Super Grade, in 270 Win. a long rest . Now I am the first to admit, There were many years I did not hunt because I was trying to star a Business, but I have never had a problem with any of my Weatherby Rifles, except my Mark 22, 22 LR Caliber, which needed gunsmith work to make it feed and function. So I have shot a few bucks with the 270 Weatherby mag, loading a 130 Grn bullet to 3300 fps. I have only shot about 7 bucks in the past 10 or 11 years with the Weatherby Ultralight Rifle, with a 130 grn Bullet at 3025 fps. I shoot at least 100/ 120 rounds (usually more) at the Rifle range with each rifles every year. I have shot the Weatherby Mark V in 270 Weatherby mag, two years in a row at the Bang Steel Shooting School, hitting steel at 1000 and 1100 yards . Factory Original barrel and trigger. I have loaded the same 100 cases, which are matched by weight, over and over. 150 Grn. ABLR at 3000 fps, from the 26-inch barrel. I have Winchesters , and custom Mauser rifles I like very much ,but My two favorite rifles remain my Mark V Ultra Light , in 270 Win . for deer, and My Mark V Deluxe, in 270 Weatherby Mag , for deer, very far away. Due to a recently torn up right shoulder, the .270 Win. Ultralight is now , back at the factory having a Muzzle Break fitted to it. No Complaints , No Issues, take them out of the safe, clean the bore and go shoot. The rifle are expensive , Yes, the brass is expensive, Yes . Is it worth it??? Only you can answer that question for yourself. I answered it for myself over 44 years ago. By the way the attached Groupe is at 300 yards with by 1979 factory rifle, with my load. Free Bore not Accurate?? Whatever you shoot, I wish you Good Shooting Buddy !! Lenny

Attachments

• IMG_3534 (1).jpg
    IMG_3534 (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Love the Weatherby's and Model 70 Winchesters. Some of the Weatherby calibers in other rifles as well. Had a Model 70 in 300 W.M and have a BRNO converted from 375 H&H to 3756 Weatherby. A forgotten caliber. Two Mark V's one in 340W.M and 0ne in 270W.M All shoot under 1". The old BRNO shoots 270gr Speer into .620" no deduction for caliber size. Also probably half a dozen Vanguards. All good hunting rigs.

What would it look like if you shot 20 shots at the same spot?

I've seen plenty of barely MOA rifles produce their fare share of 1/4" 3 shot groups.

Not calling you out, simply giving some food for thought. 3 shot groups aren't a very good representation of what the system is capable of. 20 shots with however much time between gives you a good idea. 40-50 shots at the same spot really cuts through the noise of shot dispersion.
This is funny! Since you don't know the difference between a hunting rifle and a bench rest competition rifle and since you appear to need 20 shots on one annimal, you should have your hunting privileges revoked!🤣

Between myself and my father we have 5 Mark Vs, four 300 bees and one 7wby mag, They are all shooters and regularly shoot little rocks past 800yards. We do hand load but we have factory ammo on hand that cost no more than any 300prc or 300win mag in Hornady precision loads, 58-62$ a box . I buy my Weatherby cases at 2.30 each from Grafs and they last me 5-7 shootings with 180 Hammers at 3150fps. (can push them harder but no need)
My avatar pic is my father and I with his German mark v.
We will forever shoot Weatherby's in Weatherby cartridges because we love them.
Do you use a larry willis die for magnum cartridges? Its a case life saver

This is funny! Since you don't know the difference between a hunting rifle and a bench rest competition rifle and since you appear to need 20 shots on one annimal, you should have your hunting privileges revoked!🤣
I don't own any comp rifles only hunting. Am I the only hunter hear that truly want's to know what the system (rifle, handloads, me) is capable of?

The point I was making is most everyone I've ever met that claims they have a .5 (or better) all day long rifle in reality has a rifle that will shoot a group that size a 1/3 of the time. The other 2/3 of the time they shoot groups twice that size or more, but because it shoot's .5 semi consistently they say they have a .5 all day rifle.

You don't need to shoot 20 time's in one sitting. You could take one shot over 20 day's, what would that group look like? Over different day's with different conditions all with a cold bore, cold shooter wouldn't this represent shooting at game better then someone's wallet 3 shot group?

I don't own any comp rifles only hunting. Am I the only hunter hear that truly want's to know what the system (rifle, handloads, me) is capable of?

The point I was making is most everyone I've ever met that claims they have a .5 (or better) all day long rifle in reality has a rifle that will shoot a group that size a 1/3 of the time. The other 2/3 of the time they shoot groups twice that size or more, but because it shoot's .5 semi consistently they say they have a .5 all day rifle.

You don't need to shoot 20 time's in one sitting. You could take one shot over 20 day's, what would that group look like? Over different day's with different conditions all with a cold bore, cold shooter wouldn't this represent shooting at game better then someone's wallet 3 shot group?
You still making me laugh🤣
You would probably take a drag racer to the 24 hour lemans or a NASCAR race to see how it would perform🤣

I am sure you saw other hunters here that shoot one round a day over many days to confirm cold bore accuracy, that's why you regurgitate that.
Keep making us laugh...I love it,

Not a fan of the Weatherby! Maybe it was an "envy" thing as I could no way in "heck" 😉 I could afford one. In my narrow minded perspective , it seems only rich, self important people could afford something of that magnitude of "flash" seeming only to impress others! Probably the reason I don't own a Maserati either! 😉

Yes, the Weatherby cartridges outperformed others of same caliber, but the extra performance was vastly outweighed by the cost! Obviously, one could reload….if one could afford the cases/brass!

Though, today we don't in the world I grew up in! This group is living proof of that……we spend more money on a custom rifle using custom chamberings , than folks of yesteryear invested into a home! memtb

Last edited:
Not a fan of the Weatherby! Maybe it was an "envy" thing as I could no way in "heck" 😉 I could afford one. In my narrow minded perspective , it seems only rich, self important people could afford something of that magnitude of "flash" seeming only to impress others! Probably the reason I don't own a Maserati either! 😉

Yes, the Weatherby cartridges outperformed others of same caliber, but the extra performance was vastly outweighed by the cost! Obviously, one could reload….if one could afford the cases/brass!

Though, today we don't in the world I grew up in! This group is living proof of that……we spend more money on a custom rifle using custom chamberings , than folks of yesteryear invested into a home! memtb
Lol I saved for a long time for a Remington 742 as a kid. Lol didn't have that *** for long 😂 learned my lesson about those. No I have to save to buy reloading components 🥲 ouch lol i buy in bulk