Weatherby Actions

weaberby markv rifles have a 6 or a 9 lug bolt. the markv rifles that are non weatherby calibres have 6 lug bolts. there are some early mark v's in 30-06 and 270 that were built on the 9 lug action but are hard to find.

That hard to find 270 ia what have. If my current barrel wears out, I may step up to something with more snort. As it is, it weighs 14 pounds, and with the muzzle break it pushes like a 243.

Hired Gun, can you get the extended magazine floor plate that allows an extra roun in the Mark V magazine? Weatherby ran my serial number and would not sell me one.

I can get them when they are available. I believe the drop floor plates are only for the 378 based rifles. The long box sits in the bottom metal. A 270AI or 270Wby would be swimming in the 378 box. With some time and some welding it probably could be made to work. If you have a six lug action I have never seen one for them.

weaberby markv rifles have a 6 or a 9 lug bolt. the markv rifles that are non weatherby calibres have 6 lug bolts. there are some early mark v's in 30-06 and 270 that were built on the 9 lug action but are hard to find.

So here's my question for the smiths. My local smith and a well known smith who is a sponsor and member here both say it is very difficult if not impossible to lap the multiple lugs so there is equal contact with them and that this "may" be an accuracy issue. What say ye?

I like the vanguard actions and have done a 6-284 build off of one and a 6.5 WSM build off of it's cousin a S&W M1500, both made by Howa and essentially the same action except for the bolt shroud. Will probably get a couple more at gun shows for good prices for a couple more projects. They are a good solid action for smaller to med cartridges.

So here's my question for the smiths. My local smith and a well known smith who is a sponsor and member here both say it is very difficult if not impossible to lap the multiple lugs so there is equal contact with them and that this "may" be an accuracy issue. What say ye?

I have found it to be a non issue. Both the bolt and action are cut on cnc equipment. Under the pressure of firing I believe the 9 lugs in 3 rows act essentially like a 3 lug Bat, Sako TRG, Browning A Bolt, TC Icon, Barnard. This is a much more stable arraignment than a 2 lug configuration. Ever sit on a two legged stool? They need addition support or you are going over. How about a 3 legged stool. ****, it is just naturally really stable. The stability of the tri-pod arraignment is undeniable.

brunobat1.jpg
barnard@2x.jpg

With the extra clearance the bolt body has in the Weatherby just like any two lug action, will look like they are not touching evenly due to being jacked up by the sear. When lapped with the bolt stripped and the trigger removed they actually touch pretty well. So lets say the bolt lugs were just filed on there by hand. It's still in a 3 leg arraignment and as long as any one lug on that plane is touching, the bolt face is going to remain stable. It matters zip if one or two lugs isn't making as much contact as the others. That fact that a Weatherby is 3 rows of 3 just make it that much more stable. Kind of like a rough cannon breech that has lots of rows of lock lugs. Do you remember the accuracy of these things had?

ttfr.jpg

Back to the Weatherby. I check every one and have yet to find one that really needed anything as far as truing up. I had the same conversation with Krieger as they were involved in some custom work with Weatherby a few years ago and he stated the same thing. You can go through the motions and when you start cutting the action face and bolt face were right there square wise.

I think it's a great design.

Thanks for the reply HG. I agree that a 3 lug configuration is better than a 2 lug configuration. But I'm not sold on 9 little lugs. I would rather see 3 larger lugs that all had equal and good contact. I for sure am no expert on it and even the experts like yourself have different opinions on it obviously. Just wanted to here some different views and experiences. If anyone else wants to chime in that would be great. Some good info for the OP as well.

I like the vanguard actions and have done a 6-284 build off of one and a 6.5 WSM build off of it's cousin a S&W M1500, both made by Howa and essentially the same action except for the bolt shroud. Will probably get a couple more at gun shows for good prices for a couple more projects. They are a good solid action for smaller to med cartridges.

I'm in 100% agreement with Hired gun on this issue.

The Weatherbys are not harder to lap because they are essentially an interrupted thread, and therefore very accurate.

I check them with Blue Dye and most of the time they need very little lapping. And if they do,
it is not hard because they are so close in the first place.

On the issue of 9 small lugs compared to 2 or 3 large lugs, There is more total lug surface on the 9 small lugs making it stronger.

Years ago White laboratories tested all commercial actions to destruction. all actions failed (Blew Up)except the Mark 5 Weatherby. molten Brass flowed out around the bolt and the action could not be opened, but it remained in tact.

A very good reply HG !!!

J E CUSTOM

I am also a fan of Weatherby V Actions... I wish the company would sell just the actions... Buying a higher end gun just to use the action for a donor puts the price of the build a bit above what I want to be into the build. With all the Barrel burning calibers that these action house you would think there would be a few extra actions around with washed out barrels. It just goes to show you that 99% of the gun buyers will never shoot the bigger hunting guns enough to ever wear out a barrel...dgarrett

I am also a fan of Weatherby V Actions... I wish the company would sell just the actions... Buying a higher end gun just to use the action for a donor puts the price of the build a bit above what I want to be into the build. With all the Barrel burning calibers that these action house you would think there would be a few extra actions around with washed out barrels. It just goes to show you that 99% of the gun buyers will never shoot the bigger hunting guns enough to ever wear out a barrel...dgarrett
I started buying Weatherby's because they were local. Turned out to be a very good decision. :cool:

I was at Weatherby a while back. I asked them about actions. The response was 'we got burned' so no actions. I was told barreled actions are available. I did not ask the price at the time. I guess I now have a reason to visit the shop, oh darn. :D

At the moment there are 3 Mark Vs, 3 Vanguard (s1), 3 Rem 700 long actions. Now I am always on the look out for Mark Vs. lightbulb

As someone with a degree in manufacturing engineering & lots of experience as a machinist, I can attest to the interrupted thread design generally not needing lapping. Since the interupted-thread lugs are cut as threads are cut, they line up naturally (unless there is slop in the machine). As they line up, both on the bolt & in the chamber, they will make contact and be consistent without lapping.

In a 2-lug action, or "normal" 3-lug actions, lugs are cut by positioning the machine for each cut, which can introduce positional error. Lapping is used to correct for any positional error. I have seen lugs that barely made contact & some that did not make contact — except as the action twisted under the pressure of a fire. Such an action cannot be very accurate and must be lapped.

With the range you are limiting yourself to I would recommend the .25-06. It can handle your maximum range without destroying a lot of meat if you get a close shot, and do so for a lot less money than the .257 Weatherby. That said, my primary deer rifle is a .25-06 yet I'm shopping for a .257 Weatherby because it is something neat that I don't have. I also love the "fit" of a Weatherby rifle and how they minimize felt recoil. I understand your choice. Like you, I hunt in whatever weather presents itself so I prefer stainless/synthetic rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts