Was the 6.5 cm really a necessity?

J E CUSTOM[/QUOTE]
"Another example of this was the 280 Remington. they later changed it to 280 Remington express . sales still did not improve. so Remington came up with the magic name 7 mm Remington Magnum and sales sky rocked."

Segue back to the first practicable commercial radio receivers, their receivers were tuned by components which "heterodyned" the incoming signal--essentially a beat-frequency-oscillator, rendering it viable. Heterodyne was not particularly a big hit with the buying public, thus was born the Superheterodyne radio. A smashing success. In commerce, you just have to have a gimmick!

True George!
Even better when the "gimmick" is a true technological advancement - that manufacturers have not conveyed adequately the advantages of it to the consumer.
Thus - sometimes a "re-launch" is necessary to make a product acceptable to us - the buying public.

All this back and forth about the Creedmoor is pointless. The 6.5/300 Weatherby will make all other 6.5's obsolete. It will launch a high bc 6.5 bullet into low earth orbit.

All this back and forth about the Creedmoor is pointless. The 6.5/300 Weatherby will make all other 6.5's obsolete. It will launch a high bc 6.5 bullet into low earth orbit.
It will also make the rifling and throat obsolete in about 400 rounds... A high-quality replacement barrel blank will cost you about $400...So, that's roughly a $1 per ticket usage tax every time you pull the trigger. Sounds like it will obsolete itself before too long. Same goes with the .26 Nosler...Which was already on its way out not very long after the public release and people started learning about it's barrel life. But hey, look on the bright side if you're into the hyper-6.5mm's, I bet you can get some half shot-out ones for cheap on the used rack at the local stores.

And if one has the budget allotted to NASA - no problem! But...It's a Weatherby. That name connotes a "price tag pedigree":cool::)

Overbore hunting rifles make some sense to me. I think the 300RUM and 30 Nosler are probably cool for long shots with super heavy bullets. The 300 Wby. is overbore well prior to necking it down to 6.5. 6.5/300 seems like a solution to a nonexistent problem.

Without problems to solve...real or imagined...we would not have so many toys to choose from. Be thankful for your problems I say!:D

Overbore hunting rifles make some sense to me. I think the 300RUM and 30 Nosler are probably cool for long shots with super heavy bullets. The 300 Wby. is overbore well prior to necking it down to 6.5. 6.5/300 seems like a solution to a nonexistent problem.

It was a problem to me. Before the .26 Nosler and the 6.5-.300 Weatherby I necked down the 7RUM to 6.5 and pushed the shoulder back about .100" to give it a long neck. Perfect!

Why of coarse it was, what would all the owners of the 6.5 Creedmoor have done if it had not been created they would be still walking around in a complete stuper looking for another cartridges to shoot. :confused:
And think of all the jobs it created manufacturing it and the ammo to shoot it. It has kept so many families fed and provided shelter.
It also has taken alot of bashing off of other well deserving Cartridges that need bashing. What would we have done with out it. ;)

Last edited:
All kidding aside, the non-magnum 6.5's are all fun and accurate. Their lack of recoil could be a contributing factor to their perceived "inherent accuracy". My guess is that the Creedmoor is in the process of replacing the 308 Win.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.