Want to get into reloading!

I agree with those that say 'get a good manual'. This is the best place to start. Then find a seasoned reloader, a local gun club is a fine place to look, and let him mentor you. Next purchase the basics. You can get the 'fancy extras' later on once you understand what they do and why.
But start with understanding the basic process of reloading first! RTFM - Read The Flipping Manual until you thoroughly understand what is going on.
Good luck, it is a satisfying hobby to do, but care is needed.

I purchased a training class on Vimeo. It has a lot of information provided from presses, dies, presses and accuracy. Over 80 videos in the course. Taught by Darrell Holland

Where would be a great place to start as far as info on whats necessary compared to what makes things nice! thanks guys Jimmy

As to what you need aside from reading material:
To me the basics are these, I'm assuming you are starting cheap and basic:
1.Reloading die: Get a lee 4 piece die set for the caliber you are reloading for.
2. Single stage press: Basice Lee single stage press. Or look on line like ebay for a used RCBS press.
3. Basic electonic scale that measures to .1 grain.
4. A funnel to guide your powder into the cases.
5. Some cheap plastic powder spoons/scoops to load the powder onto the scale. A large and small one. Small one for basic trickling. Some use a powder trickler but I've never felt the need for one myself.
6. Hand chamfering and deburing tool.
7. Set of 6" Calipers. - to measure overall length of your bullets and brass etc0. You need to measure your brass to make sure it's not to long. Shooting and resizing and shooting will increase the length of your brass. If too long bad things can happen.
8 . Case trimming tool: Some way to trim your brass.
9. Priming tool. - to press the new primers into the bottom or your case.
10. A little note book to note your load info. Save a page to record your most accurate loads. A permanent marker comes in handy for writing the the amount of powder you used in each case if doing a ladder test etc so you don't get confused.
Some load data stickers to stick on your loaded ammo box is certainly a good thing to do.
To me those are the basic things. There is muc data you can get off the internet for free. Sometimes I look at peoples review info for a specific bullet to help me load a troublesome bullet.

Obviously you will need to buy the bullet, brass, primers and powder for the caliber you intend to load for. Some loading manuals will suggest the most accurate powder for a specific load and bullet that they loaded. That's always a good place to start.
You will ultimately want a few more items but that's kinda the basics the way I see it anyway

After you get at least 2 reloaded manuals, do like everyone else has suggested with YouTube and Google.

One thing I would have done differently when starting out is to buy better equipment. Now I'm upgrading stuff and it would have saved me money just to buy it from the start. Basically, if it costs more, its likely better(often much better). My lee/rcbs/ hornady dies never produce ammo as accurate/ concentric as my forster dies. Lapua brass is worth the money. It's all more expensive, but the results are great.

Where would be a great place to start as far as info on whats necessary compared to what makes things nice! thanks guys Jimmy
I started reloading twenty plus years ago after buying a Remington rifle in 300 Weatherby (1989), I worked with a guy (Mark) who reloading his 300 Win Mag he showed me enough stuff picked up a manual and a single stage press from Lee and I read that book cover to cover then I started reading Shooting Times magazine (Rick Jamieson), he put out good clear articles on reloading, I followed everything he talked about. I have never had a problem with anything I put together. The single stage press will get anyone started into reloading and as Reloaders, we always upgrade to something better multiple does setups. Reloading is a hobby especially since that new wonder round called 6.5 Creedmoor. I got three guns chambered in 6.5 calibers just far too many 30 caliber rifles.

Reloading package, manual, calipers($15 or so) and there you go for basic.
Advanced reloading wil take some and several paragraphs.
When buying calipers, spend the money pick up around thirty dollars or more, I got one under thirty dollars it lasted two weeks, went back to the store got one for about thirty-five dollars, no problem with it.

Not sure if snyone touched on this but The hornady reloading guide is very detailed, and written and explained in a very plain text that willget you rolling. Also the rcbs supreme kit comes with a nosler book which also has what you need to know.

RCBS rock chucker surpeme kit. 299.99
The kit Comes with everything you need including Nosler load data book.
I would recommend buying a digital scale that plugs in to start with. Easier to read.
Keep it simple and STICK TO THE BOOK!!!
Start off with factory O.A.L's
Do not experiment with loads.
Be precise, pay attention to detail.

For starters, pick one or two reloading manuals and read them, to understand the basics of what your wanting to do. Use the KISS principle when starting out. Don't go all out on equipment you don't need yet or understand. Lot's of advice here, but it all leads in the same direction of success!
One of the manuals you should get is this Berger, even if you don't use Berger bullets, a lot of knowledge in it!

I like to talk about a new reloading step I got into since I don't really hunt anymore. Precision Reloading. The 30-06 to me a really good round or cartridge to reload for, read the manual find a good bullet, mine was Hornady interlock, not a good bullet but it did work on my first hunt caribou, pick starting load and head to the range to sight-in the scope, fairly easy but to me now, I stopped reloading like that. I got the YouTube bug after watching Johnny's Reloading Bench and other videos. I now reload with precise measurement, I want the loads I can put together especially after building AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor/AR-15 6.5 Grendel both with match grade barrels plus bolt action AR-10 rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor...I figure, spend the money, put in the time with your reloading...buy the thousand dollars plus scope put things together differently from my hunting loads, it's a lot of time and money but I'm enjoying it.

One of the manuals you should get is this Berger, even if you don't use Berger bullets, a lot of knowledge in it!
I stopped buying the big manual from the bullet company's. I started buying the One Book/One Caliber, the complete reloading manuals. I have ten manuals, not much change with them unless a new cartridges come on board but even then I will buy the one complete reloading manual. They have all the major bullet manufacturers loads and their bullets. The cost is less around $10.

Kaveman44 said:
I have read many of your responses and they are right. Start out with research and YouTube is great. You may want to look at the major companies that are involved in reloading as: Dillon precision, RCBS, Hornady, etc. I luckily started out with a Dillon 550B and have used it for lots of different loads, but for rifle many like the old rock chucker by RCBS. you need to look at what you intend to do as rifle and pistol. You can get a picture of what you want to do and then a key for me. As in most things you PAY for what you get out of what you buy. Quality IS the key to reloading and the most quality for your buck is important of the reloader you buy and the product that you have when finished. quality breads quality!!! but remember, DO your homework be for spending $$$$'s. you want the best produce you can make and the books, videos, etc are the heart of making a good decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.