Looking for help to get into reloading

Neff991

I'm new to long range and l have a 6.5 Creedmore as well as a .308. I will be using both and would like to get into reloading my own shells for them as well. I'm just looking for some good information and advice on equipment and reading materials to do some learning and get some information. Thanks in advance for all your help.

First, welcome to the forum. Reloading is fun...And addicting, and just when you think you've got everything you need, something new comes out that you just HAVE to have. Get ready to start shucking-out some money. :D

Next, rifles use "rounds"...Shotguns use "shells".

Finally, I suggest buying a few good reloading manuals and reading them and studying them and learning everything you can about reloading and ammunition. The Berger and Nosler manuals are both good reads. Also, learning how to properly reload from a few experienced reloaders and watching them and being guided by them can also be a great learning tool.

Also, I don't have a 6.5 Creed, but I have owned a few .308's, and will always own a .308 Win... The .308 Win is normally a very easy cartridge to reload for. From my experiences, most are not very picky, as long as you load the proper bullet weights for your twist, and use the proper burn-rate powder, and good quality brass (Lapua).

Welcome, the only thing I'll add is don't be afraid to use the search bar in the upper corner. 80% of the time it's probably been touched on in some old thread, unless it's a new product.
You'll enjoy loading both 6.5 Creed and 308 Win. Neither is fussy and both have solid potential for accuracy and putting meat in the freezer.

Thanks man, I'm glad to hear they are an easier type round to load. Should be good for a beginner like myself. I will try and use the search button next time as wel.

Get DVD Defensive Edge Reloading for Long Range Hunting. The Long Range Store probably has these. If not go to Shawn Carlock's Defensive Edge web site.

I like the Lymann manuals, they have alot of bullets. When I reload Noslers I get data from their site. I like they tell you what is most accurate in their test gun. Might not be yours. But good place to start. Lymann also tells you must accurate. I like that, for a starting point. Get that powder to start with.

For rifle I started 30-06, IMR4350 is very common powder, it maybe for 308 too. So I started with that. I have bought others since then to tinker..

I'd get digital calipers. Powder trickler is nice. I like Lee lube. Get a couple loading trays. Take good notes. Write down on paper/computer what you did and on the box of ammo put info.

Some manuals say not to size new brass. I have found dinged mouths, so I do. I also bought a tumbler to get resizing lube off. It is not good for primers.

I like hand priming. Can inspect, make sure not upside down and flat. Careful handling primers, don't get anything on them. You can dump them into hand loader tray. I have Lee, but there are others.

I have both Lymann digital and RCBS 5005 balance beam scale. Some people don't trust digital. I bought check weights to check mine. I would not use a nickel. I leave it plugged in, and off, some say that is good.

I have RCBS powder dispenser. I clamp it on a table with big C-clamp. Only one powder in room.

Lots of press, probably all good. I like my Lee, 4 hole turret. I buy turrets for all the rounds I use, so I don't have to keep setting up.

I have lots of manuals with lots of powders. So I can find what I am loading. I also like reading them. I have Hornady too, I load Hornady. I have Speer, I like the info. I like readying about various cartridges.

Hogdon has a website with info too. Others do too. Just happens they have powders I tend to use.

Pay attention to seating depth. Manuals will use less powder if shorter round. More pressure when seated deeper. Copper or lead makes a difference, find your bullet. Lead slides easier less pressure. This is more for handguns or 45-70.

I wish I had forums for my dumb questions when I started out. The manuals don't always have what is basic to them. It stalled me for years.

I like the Lymann manuals, they have alot of bullets. When I reload Noslers I get data from their site. I like they tell you what is most accurate in their test gun. Might not be yours. But good place to start. Lymann also tells you must accurate. I like that, for a starting point. Get that powder to start with.

For rifle I started 30-06, IMR4350 is very common powder, it maybe for 308 too. So I started with that. I have bought others since then to tinker..

I'd get digital calipers. Powder trickler is nice. I like Lee lube. Get a couple loading trays. Take good notes. Write down on paper/computer what you did and on the box of ammo put info.

Some manuals say not to size new brass. I have found dinged mouths, so I do. I also bought a tumbler to get resizing lube off. It is not good for primers.

I like hand priming. Can inspect, make sure not upside down and flat. Careful handling primers, don't get anything on them. You can dump them into hand loader tray. I have Lee, but there are others.

I have both Lymann digital and RCBS 5005 balance beam scale. Some people don't trust digital. I bought check weights to check mine. I would not use a nickel. I leave it plugged in, and off, some say that is good.

I have RCBS powder dispenser. I clamp it on a table with big C-clamp. Only one powder in room.

Lots of press, probably all good. I like my Lee, 4 hole turret. I buy turrets for all the rounds I use, so I don't have to keep setting up.

I have lots of manuals with lots of powders. So I can find what I am loading. I also like reading them. I have Hornady too, I load Hornady. I have Speer, I like the info. I like readying about various cartridges.

Hogdon has a website with info too. Others do too. Just happens they have powders I tend to use.

Pay attention to seating depth. Manuals will use less powder if shorter round. More pressure when seated deeper. Copper or lead makes a difference, find your bullet. Lead slides easier less pressure. This is more for handguns or 45-70.

I wish I had forums for my dumb questions when I started out. The manuals don't always have what is basic to them. It stalled me for years.

Thanks, this is some great information! Don't be surprised if I send you a message or two when I finally get started.

Also, don't cheap-out... Buy a good quality set of of calipers. I use a Starrett 799 with a Hornady comparator setup.

Calipers and stuff I have already, my family used to have a machine shop. The problem I'm gonna have is knowing what to buy for a press and stuff like that. There is so many options I'm kind of lost on where to start lol.

Calipers and stuff I have already, my family used to have a machine shop. The problem I'm gonna have is knowing what to buy for a press and stuff like that. There is so many options I'm kind of lost on where to start lol.

I still use an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme IV single-stage. Nothing fancy here. About the fanciest thing I have is my RCBS Chargemaster 1500 powder dispenser. Other than that, I do each step by hand. And I even adjust each powder charge (per powder kernel) with the Chargemaster if it dumps too heavy or too light.

I still use an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme IV single-stage. Nothing fancy here. About the fanciest thing I have is my RCBS Chargemaster 1500 powder dispenser. Other than that, I do each step by hand. And I even adjust each powder charge (per powder kernel) with the Chargemaster if it dumps too heavy or too light.
That is THE starter press. Buy the kit as all of it separately is much higher

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.