Looking for help to get into reloading

Wish this had been around when I started loading. This is an awesome starter setup...

RCBS® Rock Chucker Supreme Deluxe Reloading Kit with Nosler® No. 7 Reloading Manual and RCBS Trim Pro 2 Case Trimmer : Cabela's

Would have made life a lot cheaper and simpler. Especially since I had to learn everything myself and do all my own research. Nobody else in my family, nor do any of my friends reload, so, I had to rely on internet tips, YouTube, and trial & error. Which, my whole life, I have always had a higher win ratio when the test is a pass/fail type of scenario. I am a natural problem-solver and have a very engineer formatted brain, so this would be why this works best for me, but everyone learns differently. Self-taught trial & error has also always been my fastest and strongest learning method.

Wish this had been around when I started loading. This is an awesome starter setup...

RCBS® Rock Chucker Supreme Deluxe Reloading Kit with Nosler® No. 7 Reloading Manual and RCBS Trim Pro 2 Case Trimmer : Cabela's

Would have made life a lot cheaper and simpler. Especially since I had to learn everything myself and do all my own research. Nobody else in my family, nor do any of my friends reload, so, I had to rely on internet tips, YouTube, and trial & error.

Bwaaaa. Funny stuff. I had to learn out of dusty books found in dead guys estate sales. You couldn't even really find info on where to find info. I would find one book and then look in the back for references to other books and then go try to find them if they were still being published or hit up a bookstore to find one. I paid $$$ for some used books back then. You just had to.
Manuals, AND THEY SUCKED, were all there was that was easy to find or something you could order.

I saw some crazy stuff before the internet. Nobody knew much of anything compared to now.
Long range was even more of a black art back then. Levitating bullets and all kinds of what we now know is nonsense were commonly spouted. A drop chart was a 3 month project to build. Chronographs were something that a publishing group owned or maybe Remington.

The WEB can dispense some crummy info but its still a lot better than before.

I got the RockChucker Supreme to replace my old aluminum Lee press that my dad gave me to get me out of his reloading bench. It is very solid and I highly recommend it. That kit would really be the way to start out. The Lee press seemed to work fine, but it always felt like the press itself was flexing when full length sizing my brass. I still have the old Lee, but don't know what I might end up doing with it; it makes ammo, but I'm not convinced it will make as consistent of ammo as the RockChucker.

Bwaaaa. Funny stuff. I had to learn out of dusty books found in dead guys estate sales. You couldn't even really find info on where to find info. I would find one book and then look in the back for references to other books and then go try to find them if they were still being published or hit up a bookstore to find one. I paid $$$ for some used books back then. You just had to.
Manuals, AND THEY SUCKED, were all there was that was easy to find or something you could order.

I saw some crazy stuff before the internet. Nobody knew much of anything compared to now.
Long range was even more of a black art back then. Levitating bullets and all kinds of what we now know is nonsense were commonly spouted. A drop chart was a 3 month project to build. Chronographs were something that a publishing group owned or maybe Remington.

The WEB can dispense some crummy info but its still a lot better than before.

Well I looked at the kit and I appreciate the posting of the link. I think I'm gonna do a bunch of research this winter and get into reloading this spring when I can get out back and spend some real time shooting. I really appreciate all the help guys and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I start getting into everything.

Some random thoughts

Winter is a nice time to load, for the spring. But being you are just getting started, I can see want to shoot a few of yours off, before loading a 100.

I have a few different bullets I want to try. So I plan on loading up two powders for each bullets in .5 grain increments.

You might be able to find a press on Armslist or maybe craigs list. I don't think much can go wrong with the press. Though they are not terribly expensive to just buy new.

I would look at what stores around you carry what models. Some stores will have parts and do hickeys for your press. Though now a days it can shipped to your house pretty fast.

I am loading Hornady and Nosler, because they are common in stores around here. It is nice to just walk in and get it. Neither is an odd brand.

Crimping is something that confused me years ago. Some people do and and some people don't. For bolt action it doesn't seem needed. Semi autos it is. I crimp magnum handgun loads.

I ended up going with Lee Factory Crimp die. Handgun dies for seating can crimp, but it seem a pain to screw with and confused me. My Lee rifles seating dies do not crimp, that I know of and need a seperate die.

If you have multiple rifles you may want to full size resize every time. If you are going to use in the same gun you can neck size. Some claim it is more accurate and brass last longer. Another manual says not to. I am doing some. I only have 1 243. I have a few 30-06s, so I am doing a little of both. With neck sizing you are supposed to be forming the brass to your rifle. At first you may just want to full length size and go with length listed in load. Then play with seating depth later, get some rounds going and have fun.

Notice the manuals show length of cartridge in general. Each bullet load also has a length. Short bullets, more pressure. So pay attention. There are formulas for idea depth. I'd probably just get some easy ones done, and start shooting. Then advance to next level. Don't get stalled.

I stay with same primer. I go with what the manual uses. I don't know if it really matters, some say it does. If you work up loads it doesn't. But I don't want to work up loads every time. I want to find good loads, and stick with them. I like experimenting, but not with primers. But that is me.

Do not go below minimum charge, unless you know you can. Some bullets may get lodged in barrel. Some powders can, some can't. I don't want to anyways. Though fastest may not be most accurate.

Someday I want to get a chrono. They are affordable now, but it is on my someday list. Maybe this year, maybe not.

Reading high pressure can be tough, I am not 100% I can. flattened primers that fill the whole hole indicate it. Though you may be past by then too. Stock bolt or brass indicates it too. Probably better advice. Look at some good color pics of primers at various stages.

Some people tumble brass before sizing, so it doesn't scratch brass. Some tumble to get lube off, some do both. After tumbling check flash hole for media. 75% of mine have piece. A scratch awl works good, or paper clip.

I have bought 2-3 reloading mags. I didn't overly care for them. I thought they were more story telling then info. Not saying I will never buy another. I bought cause something I read on cover, and was dissapointed on lack of depth. There may be good ones out there. I would spend money on various manuals. I would buy new manuals, some loads have changed over the years.

My press is mounted on a flimsy stand that was made for the press. Little wobbly but takes up little room. I then have a big work bench I built for setting up stuff. Then a couple book shelves. Lots of fun can be had building and setting up. Google reloading bench, I have discovered some cool threads out there. You can go big or small. Everything stored in totes, or dedicated area. Like anything, more room is usually easier.

I think the RCBS web site used to have a very basic breakdown of the primary steps involved in reloading with a brief description and equipment needed for the step.

Since you are new to this, it is a good idea to understand what basic steps are involved, what is the purpose of each step, and knowing the correct sequence of the steps is important.

Guys that are loading ammo for shooting 1,000+ yards will likely have more steps in their reloading process vs someone new to the game.

Few words of advise:
Start on the conservative side when it comes to developing a load and then work up from there. Just because a certain powder / charge works in one gun does not mean it will be safe in your rifle.
Measure and Record. The more / better measurements and records you keep, the better you will get at making accurate ammo for your rifles.
When you are actually at your reloading bench, make sure you have no distractions. It is very easy to miss a step or screw something up if you have any distractions while loading.
Good Luck

Very good advice, I'd hate to make a mistake that's gonna cause something bad to happen.

With that attitude you won't. You should have a healthy respect for rolling your own ammo but if you can bake a cake.....course I cant bake a cake either.

Hornady's reloading guides (various editions) have very good basic introductions to reloading. More than just "how to recipes" they give you a good basic understanding of rifle ballistics and methods.

When I was young my dad had a buddy that did all of our reloading/custom loading. As I got older I got more interested in it and so for my birthday Homer gave me a copy of their 2nd or 3rd edition to get me started and I found it to be a wealth of really good information given in a very digestible and understandable format.

I gave the same book (then a single volume) to my best friend in college when he got interested in loading hanging around with me.

They are up to their 10th edition now and it's even available as an E-Book.

Hornady Announces 10th Edition Handbook of Cartridge Reloading - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Between it and hanging around this forum you can get yourself off to a great jump start.

Don't take shortcuts and don't exceed published load limits until you really know what you're doing and always try to be very precise in what you are doing even starting out with very basic but good quality equipment and you can have a lot of success, a lot of fun, and save a good bit of money... . eventually, HA!

Also, don't try multi tasking when reloading, it requires full attention especially when you are first getting started.

Welcome, shooting gets a whole lot more interesting and fun when you roll your own.

With that attitude you won't. You should have a healthy respect for rolling your own ammo but if you can bake a cake.....course I cant bake a cake either.

lol I can bake a cake if I absolutely had to, I'm really looking forward to getting into it. It's gonna be a slow start trying to get the equipment. I get laid off in the winters every year, I'm a heavy equipment operator out of Local 106 so things get a little tight.

Hornady's reloading guides (various editions) have very good basic introductions to reloading. More than just "how to recipes" they give you a good basic understanding of rifle ballistics and methods.

When I was young my dad had a buddy that did all of our reloading/custom loading. As I got older I got more interested in it and so for my birthday Homer gave me a copy of their 2nd or 3rd edition to get me started and I found it to be a wealth of really good information given in a very digestible and understandable format.

I gave the same book (then a single volume) to my best friend in college when he got interested in loading hanging around with me.

They are up to their 10th edition now and it's even available as an E-Book.

Hornady Announces 10th Edition Handbook of Cartridge Reloading - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Between it and hanging around this forum you can get yourself off to a great jump start.

Don't take shortcuts and don't exceed published load limits until you really know what you're doing and always try to be very precise in what you are doing even starting out with very basic but good quality equipment and you can have a lot of success, a lot of fun, and save a good bit of money... . eventually, HA!

Also, don't try multi tasking when reloading, it requires full attention especially when you are first getting started.

Welcome, shooting gets a whole lot more interesting and fun when you roll your own.

So far this forum seems very good to its new rookie looking for help and I greatly appreciate it. I'm starting off with a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmore. I've bought an Atlas bi pod and a NXS Night Force 8-32X56. I'll see how it works for me with the factory barrel but might end up changing it. I'm also building a custom LR10 in .308, I'm waiting on the barrel right now from Krieger. I'd like to do another Night Force scope but I might try a Vortex. But either way that won't be finished till next spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.