Want to get into reloading!

Buy the big companies manuals and learn from them...it is the only way to go if you want good information on reloading. Then when you're comfortable with reloading the little complete reloading one cartridge booklets.

+1 on picking up a few reloading manuals. They're not cheap, but all are cheaper than a screwed up reload.

Determine your goals: accuracy, cost savings, fun new hobby, wildcat rounds, prepper, something else? That will drive your path into this hobby.

I suggest taking the NRA Metallic Reloading class, if there's one offered in your area. I'd already been reloading for a few years, and found it to be quite valuable.

Lee is a solid value, but it lacks some features, so it wasn't long before I upgraded to Hornady Lock-n-Load, and it's excellent. But, I'd start with a single stage press, to learn the fundamentals. You might be able to find ram presses at farm auctions, estate sales, etc. but just consider that getting spun up is likely a big investment. Don't go progressive or turret press right out of the gate, work on learning all the fundamentals a step at a time and how to be careful and do good work. Single-stage ram press will be useful to you anyway, even if you move up to a turret or progressive, I have mine setup for .223 depriming & resize station, and it's perfect for that.

I've been reloading for thirty years if the class is only the basics, not for me. I got into the precision side of reloading instead of finding a load in a reloading manual charge the case and head to the range to test the loads. I have put together what I feel is above the standard hunting rifles precision match barrels costing me depending on the cartridge chambering of the barrel $400- $700 the price after a veterans discount.

FIRST: Get a couple of good reloading BOOKS and READ them. Short cuts in reloading will get you seriously injured or killed, and ruin your equipment as well. Asking this kind of question here without any background knowledge is a very lazy short cut. Books by Lee, Hornady, Lyman, Speer, and Sierra are all good places to start. Read more than just one of them and you will see that even these experts have some differences of opinion about reloading. Once you have READ a couple, come back here and ask specific questions if you still have any. Watching youtube videos will be helpful to actually SEE the operation being performed, but READ the BOOKS first, otherwise you are just a danger to yourself and others around you. You aren't going to learn how to reload properly from watching a few youtube videos and getting equipment recommendations from a bunch of guys on the internet.

After you get at least 2 reloaded manuals, do like everyone else has suggested with YouTube and Google.

One thing I would have done differently when starting out is to buy better equipment. Now I'm upgrading stuff and it would have saved me money just to buy it from the start. Basically, if it costs more, its likely better(often much better). My lee/rcbs/ hornady dies never produce ammo as accurate/ concentric as my forster dies. Lapua brass is worth the money. It's all more expensive, but the results are great.

I agree with Wolf. Forster dies and all.

But! Had it cost me a lot to get started I might have put it off or never got into it. Sometimes you have to just feel your way though things. I'm glad I did start though either way as it's been a real interesting hobby and I've learned so much more about bullets, ballistics and powder. It's also made bullets available to me that I probably would never have bought otherwise. I've pretty well changed everything over gradually to some of the best reloading equipment available within reasonable cost. Now I can make 50 bullets in the time it took me to make 20. But I still only reload with a single stage press for rifle bullets. I just think it makes a better rifle bullet and I'm not going to make more than 50 at a time anyway.

I fully endorse two pieces of advice already mentioned - get and read a few manuals, and find a local mentor. But read the book first as not all mentors are good ones.

Although I don't often use the data in the Hornady Reloading Manual, I think their general info is as good as it gets. They cover the how very well, but also do a great job of explaining why. If I were your mentor, I'd buy one for you. That's what I have done with every new reloader I have introduced to reloading in the past 20 years. I've been reloading for 50 myself.

Another piece of advice I liked is to avoid buying cheap equipment. If you buy cheap, you will regret it and soon be upgrading. Better to read the manual, then maybe come back here to ask about equipment. You will get lots of opinions but it's unlikely that any of those opinions will be horrible advice.

Ask "why". In fact, ask "why" a lot. It will help you learn and also smoke out the advice you like best.

Remember that great reloads do not necessarily mean tight groups. No rifle will ever shoot better than its weakest link. Often times that's the ammo, sometimes it's the rifle, but usually it's the shooter themselves. There is no substitute for trigger time. Shoot as much as you can. That's the only way you will actually be able to take advantage of your new reloading hobby.

Last but not least, remember that tight groups and happiness are not a destination. It's the journey that matters. Enjoy every minute of the trip.

You are in the right place.

Do your research and do not overdue your equipment at first to get some experience. I started out loading pistol calibers 34 years ago and high powered rifles 20 years ago and thought I knew what I was doing. Just recently became interested in the sub moa thing relating to rifles. I had never heard of the term OCW until I joined this site. I recently ran an OCW test with a Ruger Predator .308 in a custom stock with a VX-3 scope using premium components and I was ****ed that I had never heard of this test before. I found my OCW for my rifle with the powder that I chose and I have results at 1/2 MOA!

Now Im going to run the same test with an expensive custom rifle I had built that I cannot seem to get a sub moa load for after burning almost 300 rounds! I always get those flyers, now I will run the OCW and get down to those one hole groups that this rifle is capable of.

You are in the right place! Good Luck.

I'm going to suggest the VERY inexpensive start. Get an old used The ABCs of Reloading book (from $6) or a slightly more modern version ($38) and a Lee loader classic ($38) for a caliber you want to try. No press needed however you can only load brass shot from the same rifle going this super cheap route. If you want to go just a tiny bit more expensive but still super cheap get a Lee Press ($36) and a set of used dies or Lee Pacesetter dies ($35). This way you can use brass from any rifle because you can full length size it. (read the manuals BEFORE starting or getting help) It is worth while to find someone who reloads already, we typically already have everything to walk you thru the steps.

Add to this a decent set of calipers ($30-60) some sizing wax, and a funnel ($5) Some powder / bullets / primers and your off to reloading. You can add to this a scale to be more precise but the Lee dies come with a scoop that measures by volume not weight. Weight is more precise but not needed just to get your feet wet. The super inexpensive Lee press can later be used for just decapping primers once you get a nicer press ($80 - skys the limit) to keep the expensive press cleaner.

Obviously you can start off with as nice of equipment as you'd like but for years F-class shooters used the lee loader classic "Hammer and go" right at the competitions to reload. Another note is that the $36 cheap Lee press really is best suited for pistol or short action rifle calibers. It will do long action but it doesn't have the force of the bigger presses for resizing. Eventually you will end up with primer pocket cleaners, chamfer tools, tumbler / case cleaners, case length trimmers, etc for regular reloading. Then the next step up is fancy neck bushing dies, neck trimmers, annealer...the list goes on depending on how small of groups you get obsessed with.

Best advice I was given when I started: "Don't allow any distractions when dispensing powder!, check the charge multiple times, make sure it is right, then check it again."

Good luck.

I have to say the Lee press is my most regrettable purchase in reloading equipment. I think the quick change bushings introduce too much room for error. Maybe an old model that didnt have those would have been acceptable, but not the new style, not sure only have the new style.

Kaveman44, I didn't read all three pages of these helpful responses, I only read a few. So if someone else has already mentioned this then I apologize in advance for repeating this. But just in case I need to tell you this. Reloading is the ONLY way to go for an avid shooter. You'll LOVE it when you get started. BUT !!!!!! It is extreeeeeemly dangerous As you are probably already aware. Getting info from YOUTUBE and from books is a great way to go. But it has been my experience that you often get biased and incorrect info online. Incorrect powder charges can be harmful or lethal. Several other things can be harmful as well. YouTube is full of excellent instructions, but it also has it's fair share of clowns. Somethings you wont get from a book, like common sense. If you can find a friend who is an EXPERIENCED reloader (Don't learn from another beginner) Learn from them face to face. You may find that to be the most rewarding way to go. Make sure to verify any loads you want to try thru a published reloading manual, or from the powder companies website. As well you can call the customer service number for several brands and they will be happy to speak to you over the phone to help you with safe powder charges. The books don't tell you everything, such as if you have kids where to store your powder........things like that. As a safety instructor for several years, I have seen in person enough accidents due to neglect or to ignorance of certain procedures. I always get nervous for new reloaders. I hope you love it and have great success with it. As many of the posters here have mentioned, you can ask anything you want on this forum and someone here will be happy to help. Hope I don't sound like I'm preaching here. Best of luck to you KaveMan !!!

I have to say the Lee press is my most regrettable purchase in reloading equipment. I think the quick change bushings introduce too much room for error. Maybe an old model that didnt have those would have been acceptable, but not the new style, not sure only have the new style.

I don't love the breach gizmo on the Lee press much either, at least not for precision reloading. However for getting into it you can't beat the price and I've not had any problems making accurate hunting loads for normal hunting distances or practice rounds. We mostly use our RCBS rock crusher for precision loads but I don't like getting all the primer pocket carbon all over the ram...so in comes the cheap Lee press. Sometimes my son & I are in the reloading room at the same time and that is how I learned it isn't so bad over all as long as the loads aren't for long range precision. Hope this clarifies.

Kaveman44, I didn't read all three pages of these helpful responses, I only read a few. So if someone else has already mentioned this then I apologize in advance for repeating this. But just in case I need to tell you this. Reloading is the ONLY way to go for an avid shooter. You'll LOVE it when you get started. BUT !!!!!! It is extreeeeeemly dangerous As you are probably already aware. Getting info from YOUTUBE and from books is a great way to go. But it has been my experience that you often get biased and incorrect info online. Incorrect powder charges can be harmful or lethal. Several other things can be harmful as well. YouTube is full of excellent instructions, but it also has it's fair share of clowns. Somethings you wont get from a book, like common sense. If you can find a friend who is an EXPERIENCED reloader (Don't learn from another beginner) Learn from them face to face. You may find that to be the most rewarding way to go. Make sure to verify any loads you want to try thru a published reloading manual, or from the powder companies website. As well you can call the customer service number for several brands and they will be happy to speak to you over the phone to help you with safe powder charges. The books don't tell you everything, such as if you have kids where to store your powder........things like that. As a safety instructor for several years, I have seen in person enough accidents due to neglect or to ignorance of certain procedures. I always get nervous for new reloaders. I hope you love it and have great success with it. As many of the posters here have mentioned, you can ask anything you want on this forum and someone here will be happy to help. Hope I don't sound like I'm preaching here. Best of luck to you KaveMan !!!

No everything I watch on YouTube s is definitely taken with a grain of salt, and I do have 2 amazing kids that I always think about! But I appreciate the heads up for sure! I definitely read and watch everything I can , I Purchased the 10th edition of Hornady and started writing down certain pieces of equipment that I think I would like , The one thing I noticed that somebody had that I think I would like is the electric brass preperation tool, Lyman Case Prep Xpress, anyone have any time on one of these?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts