Vortex

17Fireball

Just put a Nightforce ATCAR on my .260 Rem. and very happy with it. Considered putting their new SHV on my .243 coyote gun but the Vortex just seems a better deal having dials and being 40% less. Considering the Viper PST in the 4-16 or the 6-24 and would appreciate any opinions on these scopes, which one to get, etc. Probably only shoot to a maximum of 500 yards running 70 grain matchkings slow with Varget.

I have four HSLRs, two with SFP and two with FFP. They are all great scopes, each having been subjected to "box test" tracking tests and measuring the reticle patterns against my hand-made MOA test targets at 100 yards with no problems. I have noticed the FFP models seem to have just a tiny bit better resolution than the SFP models (could just be me thinking they're better cause they cost a little more). My adjustments are different from the PST line (capped windage, half MOA elevation turret increments) and no illumination, so no opinion to offer there. I have shot out to 1175 yards, and 16 power was no handicap. 4x in the woods seems to work just fine, some might find 6x to be limiting FOV at short range. I will buy another without hesitation.

I have the PST 6-24 on my 300 RUM. It has been a good scope for the money. Always returns to zero and tracks perfect. I don't have a Nightforce but I really don't think that the comparison is equal between these two scopes. If you can afford it I'd go Nightforce. The clicks on the NF are more solid, and so is the Zero Stop. The glass on the PST is ok but not as good as the NF.

I have the PST 6-24 on my 300 RUM. It has been a good scope for the money. Always returns to zero and tracks perfect. I don't have a Nightforce but I really don't think that the comparison is equal between these two scopes. If you can afford it I'd go Nightforce. The clicks on the NF are more solid, and so is the Zero Stop. The glass on the PST is ok but not as good as the NF.

I have to echo BEEMAN. I run a 4-16 PST on a 6.5 Creed. It is no Nightforce, in any catergory but it does function well. Return to zero is always spot on & the turrets seem true. The glass is my biggest, probably only complaint. If you're like me & have been spoiled by Nightforce, USO & Zeiss glass, you will notice the difference.

I vote for the SHV.

t

Thanks guys. I ordered the Vortex 6-24 PST today mostly because I am broke. Hopefully it will be ok. I can't stand sub par glass so if it does not work out I will sell it someday when I can afford another Nightforce. :)gun)

Been a while since you bought the Vortex and no report on how it's working out. Just curious to find out how it's working for you?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.