Vortex

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by jtr1997, Apr 11, 2015.

1. jtr1997

jtr1997 Well-Known Member

Im planning on a scope for my tikka t3 lite 300 wsm, and was curious if anybody knew differences between Viper HS-t, HS-LR, and PST other than turrets and illumination

2. Doublezranch

Doublezranch Well-Known Member

All 3 redicles are different. I suggest you look at all of them and pick the one that's right for you and your rifle. The PST alone has a couple of different ones. I have 5 HS-T's and a PST EBR-1 redicle. Before I pulled the trigger on one I did a Google search for pictures of the redicles. This game me a idea of my choices. It truly becomes what you want and prefer. No matter what you decide they are a great choice.

3. Senderofan

Senderofan Well-Known Member

Not sure if you're looking for FFP? But when I compared there three....the HS-LR showed capped turrets, less internal windage adjustment and FFP. This was comparing a 6-24x by 50mm across the board. They all seem to have the same optics/coatings.

Guess it might be a case of which one you can find a better deal on?

Vortex - Camera Land NY $499 for an open box HS-T.

Vortex - Camera Land NY $629 for an open box PST.

Vortex - Camera Land NY $499 for the only open box LR I could find....trying to compare apples to apples.

Wayne

4. jtr1997

jtr1997 Well-Known Member

Thanks i want SFP and a 50mm objective but the 4-16 power so the HS-T osnt ecaxtly what i want but the HSLR is 1/2 inch turrets which i wont have and the pst is more money than its worth to me i dont care about illumation, so im going to have to settle unless i go capped turrets with the HS model. I dont want to 6-24 becasue i hunt elk and mule deer anywhere from 50 yards to 600 yards so i figured the 4-16 is best for that range any opionons on that?

5. Senderofan

Senderofan Well-Known Member

Yeah...I was trying to provide a comparison with the three different models you talked about....not knowing exactly what mag range you wanted.

I think the 4-16X mag range you want would probably be a great fit for your hunting. The only down side is I've read threads where guys think the optical quality is lower than the 6-24X. Of course this could just be a very subjective thing....I have a 6-24X FFP and think it is a real value for the money ( I paid $719 for an open box.) But I like exposed turrets, zero stop and FFP.

Here are some threads....with guys who talk about the perceived difference in glass between the 4-16X and the 6-24X:

Vortex Viper PST 4-16 or 6-25? [Archive] - Savage Shooters

Sniper's Hide - Long Range Shooting, Precision Marksmanship, Gear Testing & Reviews - Scout Front Page

Vortex Viper PST 4-16x FFP vs 6-24x FFP [Archive] - Calguns.net

This thread has some resolution testing results...the guy has a startling conclusion when comparing the two...again...might just be subjective:
    https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=342074

Best of luck to you...not always an easy decision without a side by side comparison...which I've never had the chance to do with any of my scope purchases.

Wayne

6. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

run the 6-24 hslr and the 1/2 turrets are the cats ***** teamed up with the xlr reticle its fast if or when time counts. if you can shoot the difference between the 1/4 and 1/2 moa turrets you are better than alot of people