Vortex

jtr1997

Im planning on a scope for my tikka t3 lite 300 wsm, and was curious if anybody knew differences between Viper HS-t, HS-LR, and PST other than turrets and illumination

All 3 redicles are different. I suggest you look at all of them and pick the one that's right for you and your rifle. The PST alone has a couple of different ones. I have 5 HS-T's and a PST EBR-1 redicle. Before I pulled the trigger on one I did a Google search for pictures of the redicles. This game me a idea of my choices. It truly becomes what you want and prefer. No matter what you decide they are a great choice.

Not sure if you're looking for FFP? But when I compared there three....the HS-LR showed capped turrets, less internal windage adjustment and FFP. This was comparing a 6-24x by 50mm across the board. They all seem to have the same optics/coatings.

Guess it might be a case of which one you can find a better deal on?

Vortex - Camera Land NY $499 for an open box HS-T.

Vortex - Camera Land NY $629 for an open box PST.

Vortex - Camera Land NY $499 for the only open box LR I could find....trying to compare apples to apples.

Wayne

Thanks i want SFP and a 50mm objective but the 4-16 power so the HS-T osnt ecaxtly what i want but the HSLR is 1/2 inch turrets which i wont have and the pst is more money than its worth to me i dont care about illumation, so im going to have to settle unless i go capped turrets with the HS model. I dont want to 6-24 becasue i hunt elk and mule deer anywhere from 50 yards to 600 yards so i figured the 4-16 is best for that range any opionons on that?

Yeah...I was trying to provide a comparison with the three different models you talked about....not knowing exactly what mag range you wanted.

I think the 4-16X mag range you want would probably be a great fit for your hunting. The only down side is I've read threads where guys think the optical quality is lower than the 6-24X. Of course this could just be a very subjective thing....I have a 6-24X FFP and think it is a real value for the money ( I paid $719 for an open box.) But I like exposed turrets, zero stop and FFP.

Here are some threads....with guys who talk about the perceived difference in glass between the 4-16X and the 6-24X:

Vortex Viper PST 4-16 or 6-25? [Archive] - Savage Shooters

Sniper's Hide - Long Range Shooting, Precision Marksmanship, Gear Testing & Reviews - Scout Front Page

Vortex Viper PST 4-16x FFP vs 6-24x FFP [Archive] - Calguns.net

This thread has some resolution testing results...the guy has a startling conclusion when comparing the two...again...might just be subjective:
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=342074

Best of luck to you...not always an easy decision without a side by side comparison...which I've never had the chance to do with any of my scope purchases.

Wayne

Thanks i want SFP and a 50mm objective but the 4-16 power so the HS-T osnt ecaxtly what i want but the HSLR is 1/2 inch turrets which i wont have and the pst is more money than its worth to me i dont care about illumation, so im going to have to settle unless i go capped turrets with the HS model. I dont want to 6-24 becasue i hunt elk and mule deer anywhere from 50 yards to 600 yards so i figured the 4-16 is best for that range any opionons on that?

run the 6-24 hslr and the 1/2 turrets are the cats ***** teamed up with the xlr reticle its fast if or when time counts. if you can shoot the difference between the 1/4 and 1/2 moa turrets you are better than alot of people

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.