Vortex vs Sightron

Win/Win I would run the siii over the vortex just to avoid the illumination knob but half the folks that go the other way will do so because of the illumination. Either way you can't go wrong with these scopes.

What do you mean by more functional and faster? To me the only thing the vortex does better than the sightron is having an illuminated reticle.

I've ran both and run them side by side a lot with my buddy so we'll dial to the same target and everything sided by side, the Vortex will be dialed faster and more reliably and more important returned to zero after the shot. I really like both optics equally but they are not equal in what they are best at.

If I'm shooting at ranges that I have all the time in the world and can sit and think I really prefer the SIII because of the reticle, glass, MOA and it does not have the illumination turd pooching out of the eye piece. But having been in situations with it where the game is moving and changing range quickly making changes to your elevation and windage values until the shot is taken and then having to stop everything and get it dialed back to zero or things will go hay wire, I know I don't like it in those situations.
The PST or the HS LR in the same situation of dialing game moving and changing the dialed value, if I have a question of where I'm at I simply spin it down to the zero stop and take it back up, windage bring it back to 0 and re-dial. After the shot simple dial to zero stop and zero on the windage, very little thinking involved and no keeping track of where you've been, I can check my elevation zero without even looking at my scope.
Just my opinion from fielding both optics in my hunting situations.

The zerostop is definatley handy for those situations. You can build a zerostop for the sightron easy enough though. The pro's to the sightron are an extra 35moa of adjustment, 15moa per revolution versus 12 and a 20moa reticle.

I only have one scope with zero stop, I am glad it is so favorable with folks and am not knocking it or your use of it. That said, unless you are shooting a lot further than I am or operating in darkness, I have had no use for that feature.
When two revelations reaches over 1k and 3 is the most I am ever using, with any extra rev marks blacked out underneath the turrets I just have never had a problem keeping track of what rev I am on. Maybe someday I will and will change my mind but for now I aint knocking it but have no use for it.

I wish Sightron SIIIs came in a 4-16 or 4-20 power range option. I use their 6-24x50mm scopes. I'd prefer a little lower power on the low end.

I have a Bushy HDMR in 3.5-21x50 with the H-59 reticle. That is a real fine scope, maybe check it out for that low end you are looking for.

Thanks for the information on the Bushnell.

I recently determined the actual vertical turret movement value in all three of my Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm scopes. Two have the Mildot reticle and one has the 2-MOA reticle.

Here's what I determined:

The 2MOA reticle scope has a 0.12% error (excess reticle movement). This equals a Click Value of 0.2621"/Click @ 100yds.
1st Mildot reticle scope has a 4.92% error (excess reticle movement). This equals a Click Value of 0.2747"/Click @ 100yds.
2nd Mildot reticle scope has a 6.84% error (excess reticle movement). This equals a Click Value of 0.2797"/Click @ 100yds.

So two of my SIIIs have vertical turret adjustments that are substantially greater than the advertised 0.25 MOA per click. 0.25 MOA is equal to 0.2618" @ 100yds. However all three track consistently and return to zero properly and consistently. They just adjust POI a bit more than their advertised per/click values.

Sightron SIIIs should be tested in order to determine the actual vertical turret values, if you're turning turrets to establish your zero for long range targets.

Everything should be tested. Still I am surprised that they are a that different. As long as they are repeatable it is all good for me but every scope from every maker should be checked as an SOP.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.