Vortex vs Sightron vs Leupold

J300UM

I would like to hear some opinions from guys that have had experience with these. I'm looking at a scope to put on my 264 when I get it back from the smith. I have a VX3 on my rum and it has been a great scope so far. I've yet to get my hands on a Vortex or Sightron and was wondering how they stack up to the VX3. I like the looks of the new 4-16 HS from Vortex and the 4-16 SIIB from Sightron but pictures can be deceiving. Hell, even the Big Mac looks good in the picture...! The price on both is very appealing but I'm not sure if it will be a case of "you get what you pay for" or not. If I can pick up a similar quality scope to the VX3 for a couple hundred less then I would surely be game... Any opinions?

I would like to hear some opinions from guys that have had experience with these. I'm looking at a scope to put on my 264 when I get it back from the smith. I have a VX3 on my rum and it has been a great scope so far. I've yet to get my hands on a Vortex or Sightron and was wondering how they stack up to the VX3. I like the looks of the new 4-16 HS from Vortex and the 4-16 SIIB from Sightron but pictures can be deceiving. Hell, even the Big Mac looks good in the picture...! The price on both is very appealing but I'm not sure if it will be a case of "you get what you pay for" or not. If I can pick up a similar quality scope to the VX3 for a couple hundred less then I would surely be game... Any opinions?

While I think Leupold are perfectly GREAT scopes I also think IMO that they have used their name/reputation to induce higher prices then the scope warrants. I think you will find Vortex, Sightron and Minox's (stay away from the 3-15x42…no parallax adj.) new scopes a better bang for the $$ I would even look into the Bushnell 4200 line. Nikon also has good glass but the fact you can find them all over the web as "refurbished" scares me a bit about their product quality. Again, this is my 2 cents worth for scopes priced around $500-700+ for Lupey.

I have Leupold, Vortex, Ziess and Sigthtron scopes.... I have a Minox 3-15X50 on its way...Wholesale pricing, I gotta try one! Although they have received good reviews.

Thanks for the reply! How does your Vortex track. I plan on doing a bit of turret twisting with this setup. I've heard the Sightrons track as good or better than Leupold. How about glass quality? Is the difference between these scopes vast or is it "splittin hairs"? Sorry for all the questions. I just like to know as much as I can before I make a purchase. I'm curious about that Minox you're talking about. Please let me know how you like it after you have the chance to play with it.

I own two Sightron SII's and a Leupold VX-II.

For the money, I find it hard to beat the Sightron. In addition, their warranty care is outstanding - should you ever need it. I'm the 3rd owner of my first Sightron, and had to send it in for repair after I purchased the rig. They fixed it and sent it back for free. I was so impressed I purchased the second one.

I think the tracking on the sightron is better then the Leupy, some reviews out there compare it to a nightforce…but can't confirm, never tried one. The new sightrons are said to even have better turret feel then there older models. I am sold on the SIII's I only wish Natchez was still underselling them:D. Price jumped from $669 to 799 on a SIII 6-24x50 MD. Viper has decent tracking…. But if I were twisting all day long I would run with a sightron…. No doubt!

I think the tracking on the sightron is better then the Leupy, some reviews out there compare it to a nightforce…but can't confirm, never tried one. The new sightrons are said to even have better turret feel then there older models. I am sold on the SIII's I only wish Natchez was still underselling them:D. Price jumped from $669 to 799 on a SIII 6-24x50 MD. Viper has decent tracking…. But if I were twisting all day long I would run with a sightron…. No doubt!

Sightron sure markets their scopes a bunch, more so than Huskemaw's by BOTW. I still think they are little better than a VX-II. I love my VX-3s and my Mk 4s. They track extremely well, and are much more durable. A lot of people like them, but I just can't get past how dim they look in comparison to Leupolds. They are cheaper. That is for sure. Vortex, eh, not quite there yet as a scope, but impressive. I have to say that with glass, you almost always get what you pay for in the end.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.