vortex vs. NF

missourideere

Im building a long range .300win mag. That should be done any day, the last thing I need to decide on is a scope. What are your thoughts? I'm interested in the vortex razor gen 2 or atacr. I will more then likely just plink with this gun but I want it set up to hunt with out west. Do I need ffp or sfp I like to set the scope and shoot but when an animal is moving it's nice to beable to make minor adjustments using reticle. Thanks for your thoughts.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/ffp-vs-sfp-hunting-72379/

I choose SFP. I have a Nightforce 5.5-22x56. I looked around at many different opinions and watched a few videos of how each worked. Bottomline is my rifle is for hunting, even though it's for 1k and beyond. What I did not like about the FFP scopes was that at closer range the crosshairs seemed to fill up more of the field of view.

For quick shots, I would think those shots would be within 400 yards on an animal I think may be getting ready to disappear and I would not need to do any real doping. If they are moving at even closer ranges, I won't be messing with my scope and will not be able to concentrate on anything but the cross hair and the animal.

JMO! I like the SFP better. I thought I liked the FFP because of the mechanics but after watching the videos we choose differently.

I do just what your describing. My favorite rifle is a 300 win and it is 31 and zero for one shot kills to 1300 yards with 215 Bergers. We are doing a management hunt on the ranch I manage right now. Elk coming into a hayfield at last light at different ranges. We have taken about 16 elk so far this season, 3 just last night. Many with my rifle. It wears a ATACR and I would not change one thing. I have tried the FFP's, and was even using a S&B PMII a few nights ago, but would not trade off my ATACR especially when you look at price.

Hope this helps

Jeff

So this is off topic but what do you guys do with all the Elk meat?

The hunters take it with them. I am not hunting, just managing the hunt on the ranch. I will let hunters use my rifles if they need to stretch it out a little. Or in many cases I assist older hunters or young first year hunters. Many that have never taken elk. It all ends up in their freezers.:)

Jeff

Im building a long range .300win mag. That should be done any day, the last thing I need to decide on is a scope. What are your thoughts? I'm interested in the vortex razor gen 2 or atacr. I will more then likely just plink with this gun but I want it set up to hunt with out west. Do I need ffp or sfp I like to set the scope and shoot but when an animal is moving it's nice to beable to make minor adjustments using reticle. Thanks for your thoughts.

How about some details on your build? That will narrow down your options.

Broz, are you in a specific area that allows rifles to be used this time of year? Back country? I didn't think rifle elk opened until Oct 24th!

Broz, are you in a specific area that allows rifles to be used this time of year? Back country? I didn't think rifle elk opened until Oct 24th!

We have similar hunts going on around here also, there hunts managed by FWP and the land owners and, have to be on the hunt roster earlier in the year. Our hunts have been going on for a couple weeks, they'll usually suspend them during general season but then they'll run them through February if needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.