Zeiss vs NF advise

mfloski

Assume price was exactly the same....

Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 with mil dot reticle

Or

NF SHV 5-20x56 MOAR reticle

Which would you go with and why?

It would depend on how I wanted to use the scope. I have a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X50 with a MilDot reticle. That, IMO, was a mistake. I'm accustomed to MilDot scopes taking their measurements at their highest power. You'll find that, at 20x, the dot spacing is 1.8 inches (1.88 MOA). That makes ranging difficult for long range shooting. I also find that the hash marks for indicating scope settings for elevation are slightly out of index. That's annoying.
My son's NF with MOAR reticle is easier to use, has better optics, is more ruggedly built and when it's dialed in the hash marks line up perfectly. I used it on a hunting trip a couple of years ago and found it provided a much higher level of confidence than my Zeiss Conquest. IMO, the MilDot reticle is helpful for ranging my targets in the field but I use a high quality range finder so the need for another style of the same instrument offers no real value.
I'd go for the NF .....
Now about price :rolleyes:

I own the Zeiss and its a nice scope with good glass but it is not in the same league as the SHV.

The 6.5-20x50 is also very limiting for long range work as it has 48 MOA of elevation. If the price is not an issue get the NF.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I'll chime in. I bought that exact Zeiss a few years ago. Loved it so much that I bought another. Then, this fall I bought 2 nf nxs 5.5-22x50's on here. I just sold both of my Zeiss. Past even 400yds, they aren't even close. IMHO, I wouldn't even mess with the shv new for $1,000. You can find nxs for $1200-1300 used if you're patient and don't need zs. It's worth the extra couple of hundred. I'm looking for another nf right now to put on my 300!

I have or had the Zeiss 4.5-14 in Mil-dot the clarity was outstanding has good as my NSX but tracking was bad and the reticle is in Mils but ur adjustment is in 1/4 in @ 100yds. Not true MOA which is 1.0472 in. at 100yds. 1/4 in is close enough in most cases but going from mils to moa can be tough for some. Not very fluid....

NF all he way. The customer service was MUCH better... JMO

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.