Zeiss V6 vs NF SHV vs Leupold VX6HD

EXACTLY, the problem is in recent years guys think they need the hubble telescope to make a long range shot. for a long range hunting shot, a scope that maxes at 14x-16x is plenty of scope. I have shot sub half MOA with a 3.5-15 NXS @ 1000 yards. shot numerous coyotes between 400-1000 yards. You don't need or even want FFP unless your scope is very high power ie 5-20x 6-24x etc. The question to ask is there going to be need to take a long range shot off max power. for me I simply use scopes that are medium power range. That way I have a SFP reticle I can actually see and use on low power.

FFP is for PRS shooters and other ninja range shooters. Those high power scopes I talked about are for varmint hunting or load development.

all I am saying is give the V4 a solid shake in your decision. I was told zeiss ships the internals to LOW for assembly in the v4. So its possible the V4 and v6 internals are the same. Also keep in mind those saying the v6 is so much better because that is the scope they bought may be hesitant to admit the better scope might be the cheaper version.

Frankly I really don't give a rip about the glass that much. That should be down the list in your decision making. first does the scope track well and does it work well mechanically. Next eye relief, eye box, ease of getting behind. after all that glass. I don't care if the scope has GOD glass, ubber glass, nazi glass, schott glass, or tequila shot glass. if the first few things I mentioned aren't squared a way choose something else. My 10 year old elite 4200 has plenty of glass to get well beyond legal light. hold the scopes together v6 and v4. If your looking at the scopes in the store I don't know how anyone would pick the v6 as being the better scope. perhaps there is some difference in low light but in the store I can't see anyone objectively picking the v6, unless they are hung up on the whole made in germany deal.

I agree with most of your points. I think good glass is over rated but I always compare when I do my reviews because some people care. As far as justifying cost I guess that depends on to what extent. We are all justifying what we spend our money on or we would have bought a Savage axis with a cheap Nikon on it at Walmart. As far as me justifying something being better than something else solely because I spent money on it that will never happen. If it does not perform it leaves my house without a second thought. No emotional attachment to any of my gear.

I agree with the above, put out or get out .

FFP for PRS ninjas ? Give me a break and quit kidding yourself.

i have used both zeiss scopes. neither of which i would recommend. tracking was good but not impressed with clarity. definate more haze and picks up mirage more then shv or leupold. reticle seems very thick in comparison to others listed. i would do shv then leupold with zeiss last

I agree with the above, put out or get out .

FFP for PRS ninjas ? Give me a break and quit kidding yourself.
YEAH I said that. this is a long range hunting forum right? YEP the needs of hunters are vastly different. I need a reticle I can see at ALL powers not just when the scope is set to medium or high power. The only reason why we see so much FFP out there is people do most of their shooting at a range rather than in the field. The other is many people don't shoot near as much as they claim to. FFP is a niche optic, not saying it doesn't have a place, but it has its limitations.

i have used both zeiss scopes. neither of which i would recommend. tracking was good but not impressed with clarity. definate more haze and picks up mirage more then shv or leupold. reticle seems very thick in comparison to others listed. i would do shv then leupold with zeiss last

I'm going to have to completely disagree. The V4 is at least on par with my NXS. I would say the V6 has better glass by a good distance. Nightforce glass is not great until you step up to the ATACR. Again I really could not care much less but the facts are the facts.

I'm going to have to completely disagree. The V4 is at least on par with my NXS. I would say the V6 has better glass by a good distance. Nightforce glass is not great until you step up to the ATACR. Again I really could not care much less but the facts are the facts.
yeah sometimes I wonder if we looked at the same scopes, LOL the NXS has plenty good of glass, I have used them to beyond light you can reasonably even see in. The limiting factor in still hunting was my eyes not the scopes.

yeah sometimes I wonder if we looked at the same scopes, LOL the NXS has plenty good of glass, I have used them to beyond light you can reasonably even see in. The limiting factor in still hunting was my eyes not the scopes.

I am not going based off what I think. I am using actual optics charts and seeing how low I can resolve images, colors, and looking for pincushion distortion and chromatic aberration. I'll say it again I do think glass is overrated. It takes a good deal of time staring at them side by side to see much difference on some of these. I can not see myself ever missing a shot because the glass was deficient.

I am not going based off what I think. I am using actual optics charts and seeing how low I can resolve images, colors, and looking for pincushion distortion and chromatic aberration. I'll say it again I do think glass is overrated. It takes a good deal of time staring at them side by side to see much difference on some of these. I can not see myself ever missing a shot because the glass was deficient.
exactly, bushnell banner has good enough glass, LOL, mechanical is another matter.

I don't have a V4 but just picked up a 3-18 V6. The glass is pretty impressive to my eyes. Next to a SHV it's better but not Swaro X5 good (I wouldn't expect it to be either). I don't have a NXS to compare to but the SHV and NXS always looked exactly the same to my eyes. The Size and weight of the V6 is great if it tracks good but I haven't had a chance to test the tracking and RTZ.

YEAH I said that. this is a long range hunting forum right? YEP the needs of hunters are vastly different. I need a reticle I can see at ALL powers not just when the scope is set to medium or high power. The only reason why we see so much FFP out there is people do most of their shooting at a range rather than in the field. The other is many people don't shoot near as much as they claim to. FFP is a niche optic, not saying it doesn't have a place, but it has its limitations.

If you need a 2fp reticle to hit a target , awesome. I shoot plenty of 2fp optics but I don't consider them superior to FFP in any way .

NXS glass for the win ? Once again quit kidding yourself. What are you comparing it to? A Leupold MK 4 ?

If you need a 2fp reticle to hit a target , awesome. I shoot plenty of 2fp optics but I don't consider them superior to FFP in any way .

NXS glass for the win ? Once again quit kidding yourself. What are you comparing it to? A Leupold MK 4 ?
its not a matter of one being superior over another. just a simple matter of which setup works for the shooting you intend to do. long range hunting, SFP is your huckleberry. medium power scope. low power range 2-4x high power range 14-16x if that is the spec your not going to need to come off max power to make your shot. its see animal if its inside 300 yards just shoot it with the scope on 4x or low power or whatever power. if its beyond that and you want to adjust the turret, dial to max power make the shot. most of the time when you are prepared to long range hunt, you don't need to make a shot that far.

A good shooter can do as well with FFP as he can with SFF. It's all aobut setting the scope up correctly and getting used to it. This thread is starting to get silly.

Yes, we know this but I honestly do not remember ever taking a long range shot at anything other than max power. I have no issues with FFP just not going to pay extra for it in most cases and many scopes do not even offer it. Having said that, I may end up getting rid of my March and getting the FFP.

What's the magnification range? How much you going to sell it for?

Thanks for all the comments here guys, I went to the store yesterday and looked at both and took them outside to look several hundred yards. Honestly, the turrets were great, the size and feel of the scopes are great - but I just wasn't very impressed overall. I couldn't get either perfectly focused for my eyes.

I did look at a Razor AMG as well, now that is a fine precision instrument there...of course, for 2x the price of these scopes - I'd hope so.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.