Vortex viper pst or nightforce?

Lrdchaos

Looking at the nightforce nxs 5-22 and the viper pst 6-24 ffp. I will be shooting mainly 600m or less, with the very occasional 1000 yard shots. Which optic would you recommend. It will be going on a Remington sendero 2, 300 win Mag. Should I pay the extra money for the nightforce for that distance or just put the extra into ammo and reloading supplies?

Thanks

Prices
Pst-865
NSx-1150

I have shot both of these scopes many times. Here is what I see as the main differences. The PST is a great scope for the money, but it in no way an equal to the NXS and price reflects this. My biggest complaint for the 24 x PST is that while on max power it has a very fussy eye box to get in. Meaning it is hard to get and maintain a full field of view no matter where you position the scope or set your cheek rest. So I find myself turning the power down to get easier access to the full view.

I also am not a fan of the tiny numbers on the power select ring. But that would not be as big of issue with younger eyes.

If you were to go to the range with the PST alone you would probably be fine with it. Again it is a good value. But if you ever shot an NXS I doubt you would still feel the PST joy and would be looking to move up.

The NXS is an investment and a safe one if you are serious about long range. You will not out grow it soon and if you decide to sell they hold their value used pretty darn well. I would look for a used NXS. Then I doubt you would loose many $ at all even after a few years of use.

So if the budget is there, I choose the NXS.

Jeff

PS: also be aware of the new offering from Nightforce for 2014. A 4~14 for around a grand. Might be just the ticket for your needs. I don't know as I have not seen one yet.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...w-lower-priced-4-14x56-shv-riflescope-126905/

I have shot both of these scopes many times. Here is what I see as the main differences. The PST is a great scope for the money, but it in no way an equal to the NXS and price reflects this. My biggest complaint for the 24 x PST is that while on max power it has a very fussy eye box to get in. Meaning it is hard to get and maintain a full field of view no matter where you position the scope or set your cheek rest. So I find myself turning the power down to get easier access to the full view.

I also am not a fan of the tiny numbers on the power select ring. But that would not be as big of issue with younger eyes.

If you were to go to the range with the PST alone you would probably be fine with it. Again it is a good value. But if you ever shot an NXS I doubt you would still feel the PST joy and would be looking to move up.

The NXS is an investment and a safe one if you are serious about long range. You will not out grow it soon and if you decide to sell they hold their value used pretty darn well. I would look for a used NXS. Then I doubt you would loose many $ at all even after a few years of use.

So if the budget is there, I choose the NXS.

Jeff

PS: also be aware of the new offering from Nightforce for 2014. A 4~14 for around a grand. Might be just the ticket for your needs. I don't know as I have not seen one yet.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...w-lower-priced-4-14x56-shv-riflescope-126905/

That pretty much sums it up.

plus one with Brozs reply. I have both and at the ranges you are shooting the PST is a great scope. But the NXS does outshine it but the price tag reflects it. You will be happy with either one but if the price tag does not scare you. Buy once and cry once.

plus two with Brozs reply.......Buy once and cry once.[/QUOTE]

This is where it's at. I have a PST, it'll most likely be the last PST I own. It works, that's about all I have to say about it. My complaint is the glass, it doesn't even compare to my old bang-around Burris.

Broz, thanks for the new NightForce link, I had no idea... & I just happen to be in the market for a couple more scopes :cool:

A feller can regularly find a used NXS in the classifieds here from a reputable member. I'd happily go that route.

t

I agree, apples vs oranges, especially since one is FFP and the other is SFP. For hunting scopes, I tend to weight optical performance as high as mechanical performance. Mechanically the scopes are more similar than they are different. Both scopes track well, hold point of aim, and have good warranties. Zoom rings and focus adjustments are smooth. The NXS is a bit heavier, as I recall. Optically, they are quite different, though.

The PST offers good features, but the optical design is not in the same class as the NXS. The PST uses a simple doublet objective lens. Resolution starts to degrade at about 25-30 MOA adjustment away from the mechanical zero. The PST has tunneling at the low end of magnification - the field of view stops growing below about 7X, as I recall. Glare is moderately high - the image contrast drops significantly above about about 18X. These are not serious flaws for a target scope. Given the large number of quality scopes in this price range, I would consider other options for a hunting scope.

The NXS uses a triplet objective lens, which has better resolution above 30 MOA of adjustment. There is no tunneling and the image contrast is higher at 22X than for the PST at 22X. Between the two, I would choose the NXS for hunting.

I agree, apples vs oranges, especially since one is FFP and the other is SFP.

Ohhhhhh, good catch Thanks! and I apologize I missed the FFP part. So let me add the reticle in the PST FFP will be useless as far as sub-tensions go under 10X. Take a PST FFP out side. Put it on 8 or 10 X and look through it. That is the first thing you will have to be able to live with if you go that route. Yep, the great FFP advantage at work, reticle sub-tensions are calibrated on all powers. You just can not see them on the lower 1/2 of the power settings.:rolleyes: So this makes this a usable scope from 10x to 18X. No Way for me!! Turn that FFP down in dark timber and forget it.

NXS all the way!!!! for this one.

Jeff

Thanks for the input guys. I believe the nxs I found on CL for 1150 nib is a scam. I'm not going to risk it. I can't spend more for the nxs right now as so need a rmr for my Acog and 1000 rds of ammo. I appreciate your time and comments and I will be purchasing a nightforce in the future for sure. I will probably just put the pst on my 223 when I upgrade to the NF. Again thank you for your comments.

So let me add the reticle in the PST FFP will be useless as far as sub-tensions go under 10X. Take a PST FFP out side. Put it on 8 or 10 X and look through it. That is the first thing you will have to be able to live with if you go that route. Yep, the great FFP advantage at work, reticle sub-tensions are calibrated on all powers. You just can not see them on the lower 1/2 of the power settings.:rolleyes: So this makes this a usable scope from 10x to 18X.

Jeff

Wait, what?

Wait, what?

I see what he means, I was looking at a PST the other day; the reticle is almost invisible (thin AND tiny) at the lower magnifications.

Not to mention when you dial up to 24X you lose almost half your drops (maybe more).

so yeah, your sub-tensions (absolute distance between hashmarks)are the same throughout magnification range, but you can't see them at lower mags and most of them are magnified out of your field of view at the high end.

Not sure I am sold on FFP (for MY uses), but still on the fence, you can play with zero and get some good results depending on application.

I currently own both and run both. In no way is the PST on level of nightforce. But for half the price it is a wicked scope and would feel comfortable recommending or even buying a second. But if your wallet allows it , go nightforce. You will be happier! I personally would like to get behind a razor hd as well to take a look compared to nightforce.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.